World war 3

kyska

BBC 2 at nine on Wednesday.

Sounds fascinating.

I have a macabre interest in this, I had enough points for my pharmacology qualification so had the choice the do any course, I randomly chose 'prescriptions of nuclear warfare and strategy', this was years ago and I've kept an unhealthy interest. Drugs and their effects have been my passion in life, but this short course got me.

So, the programme is about an acute escalation in nowadays, a limited first strike by the Russians and the rest seems to be about examining why the uk didn't retaliate. I can't help but think it's a dig at Corben for openly completely degrading our deterrent.

Worth a watch and discussing.

If you saw the first strike map on the wall of any army training centre back in the 80,s you,d know we didnt retaliate as the isnt a country left .The overlapping shockwaves from Rolls Royce Derby,British Aerospace Bristol,London centre of goverment ,Portsmouth Naval base ,Salisbury and Aldershot main Garrisons ,RAF Conningsby,s,Scampton etc means there,s nowt left .And Trident,s probably got a couple of Akula,s fallowing it around at a safe distance .So enjoy the dig at J Corbyn esq but hope old Vlad the mad doesnt see it and think what a good idea.atb

If you saw the first strike map on the wall of any army training centre back in the 80,s you,d know we didnt retaliate as the isnt a country left .The overlapping shockwaves from Rolls Royce Derby,British Aerospace Bristol,London centre of goverment ,Portsmouth Naval base ,Salisbury and Aldershot main Garrisons ,RAF Conningsby,s,Scampton etc means there,s nowt left .And Trident,s probably got a couple of Akula,s fallowing it around at a safe distance .So enjoy the dig at J Corbyn esq but hope old Vlad the mad doesnt see it and think what a good idea.atb

That's the very point.

Herman Kahn - The Hudson Institute - Mutually assured Destruction - Springs to mind. Would you swap Moscow for New York?

That said, there is still the need for a deterrent on the basis that if You decide to take me down then I'll take you with me. If I'm gone then why should I worry about what happens to you. Hopefully the thinkers will realise that. But it's the nutters we have to worry about - Jihadists, Isis etc.

It is a fascinating subject, when inwas younger I got to watch some restricted videos that were issued to the civilian services about what may be expected of them.

Although I'm quite certain that thers were no real revelations in those videos it was just a bit more than other people got to hear about and has likely caused me to think about it a bit deeper.

I am absolutely convinced by the need to maintain a deterrent although I also firmly believe it will never be used, but only because it's there.

It is a classic paradox, if we all gave them up then the problem disappears, but none of us believe the other side will give them up so the problem perpetuates and widens.

If you want to read an interesting book, try " On the Beach"

It's by Neville Shute and was written in 1957. It's old fashioned in it's style but it's interesting.

MAD has stood us in good stead for years but a small " dirty bomb" could wreak havoc.

I was at school when the film Threads came out and we had to watch it. A pretty grim portrayal of nuclear war, even more so when you happen to live next to the city where it was filmed.

I have one of the rare, real BBC copy of this.

What's it called please ?

Threads.

It was a broadcasted documentary on the BBC near to the end of the cold war, it produced many complaints.

The US made a insipid version called The day after.

First strike is worth watching too.

The greatest threat to world peace is likely to be the election of Trump as president.

It's not so much the governments of today but the governments of tomorrow that we need to safeguard ourselves against.

I suspect that if Trump gets into power he will find himself somewhat censored by the political machine that revolves around the president.

That`s a relief.

Earlier in this thread someone mentioned that the naval dockyard at Portsmouth was to be the recipient of a Russian(Or American.) nuke.

As part of a national Cunning Plan the Tories have cleverly closed Portsmouth Dockyard and moved it`s operation to Scotland.

Thank goodness I don`t have to worry about a nuclear attack any more.

Threads.

It was a broadcasted documentary on the BBC near to the end of the cold war, it produced many complaints.

The US made a insipid version called The day after.

First strike is worth watching too.

I remember both! The day after came first and caused a fuss before it was even broadcast, it was followed by a fairly hysterical studio discussion (stomping over the closing credits of the film) As a young person, it seemed like Peyton place gets nuked and didn't bother me in the slightest.

Threads on the other hand, I thought horrific and almost turned me into a "Lilly liveried don't nuke me" hippy overnight. Unyet it caused no where near the fuss of the day after.

That`s a relief.

Earlier in this thread someone mentioned that the naval dockyard at Portsmouth was to be the recipient of a Russian(Or American.) nuke.

As part of a national Cunning Plan the Tories have cleverly closed Portsmouth Dockyard and moved it`s operation to Scotland.

Thank goodness I don`t have to worry about a nuclear attack any more.

Ssshh. Don't tell the Ruskies we moved the base. I'm already prepared for nuclear war, I read the leaflets from the 80s. My windows are now painted white and my entire family are now living beneath the kitchen table

Always been the way surely because they the Politicos don't give a fig?

In the bunker for them, even if only temporarily?

I don't believe that in the slightest. The politicos are just people like you and I, maybe have a different motivation and ambition, but they have all of the same fears and insecurities.