Dogs not sleeping in kennel

krowe79

Dogs have got a way of doing what they want the spaniel I have got now I bought her a pricey John norris basket that's in the living room I also had an old plastic willko dog basket in the garage from about 15 years ago she will not use the comfy one and prefers the garage which is unheated and gets cold in winter but that's all she will use

The temperature change for a dog in winter from heated indoors to outside is huge. I don't think that is fair if you work a dog in cold temperatures.

I see where your coming from and as always it's down to unique circumstances, I always found I could dry my springers in the field and put them in the Landover if they got wet/cold, always found the heat on a very hot day a bigger problem, but like I said, to each their own.

So aside from the usual judgements have you fumignited the kennels? With all the hot weather we had recently I had a horrendous infestation of mites appear out of nowhere in my chicken coop, couldn't see it during daylight, never had it before and no idea where they all appeared from but with a torch at night it was crawling with the little bloodsuckers

Not saying there's anything wrong with a kennel but in my humble opinion best place for a dog is in the house with the rest of the 'pack'

If you want a pet which you can pat on the head and your kids pull its ears and it gets conditioned to central heating, then yes I would agree.. :yes:

Working dogs should always be kept outside imo.

Spaniels and labs will both develop coats if kept outdoors to protect them from the cold. As long as the Kennel is draft free they will be perfectly happy with some straw bedding.

If you want a pet which you can pat on the head and your kids pull its ears and it gets conditioned to central heating, then yes I would agree.. :yes:

Working dogs should always be kept outside imo.

Spaniels and labs will both develop coats if kept outdoors to protect them from the cold. As long as the Kennel is draft free they will be perfectly happy with some straw bedding.

Couldn't disagree more really, unless your going to work your dog for most of the day 24/7 in which case it becomes in reality a place to sleep, you will form a much better working relationship with the dog and more importantly the dog will have a better understanding of what you expect of it. Like I said the biggest issue I had with my springers was over heating on hot days rather than cold. But to each their own.

Couldn't disagree more really, unless your going to work your dog for most of the day 24/7 in which case it becomes in reality a place to sleep, you will form a much better working relationship with the dog and more importantly the dog will have a better understanding of what you expect of it. Like I said the biggest issue I had with my springers was over heating on hot days rather than cold. But to each their own.

I use mine mainly for wildfowling and it gets cold on the coast in winter especially when wet. I don't take the lab shooting if it is too hot and I don't shoot much in the summer.