.177 or .22

pavman

i confidently take a bunnies at 45 yards with my .22 pcp and it really does hit home hard. However its all about how good you are at judging distance, i tend to lay in wait and ambush the ******* when they come out (like most air-gunners) so i casually cont my steps when i setup or work it out by the width of the tractor runs. However if i ever replace my pcp the next one will be a .177 just to see what all the hypes about. The difference between 30 yards and 45 is 1 1/2 inches hold over for me.

Chestnut old not this again! :lol:

I would advise that the old springer in .22 would good enough if properly serviced. :lol: If one wanted to take it onboard seriously I would suggest a PCP and a possible upgrade into FAC.

Either way, it would always be .22 as this ones fingers are to big to be fumbling a .177 pellet. :lol:

Actually there are other very good reasons too. If you upgrade to PCP, you'll get more shots per fill in .22 and the heavier grain pellet is more stable in the elements. It also transfers all of its energy to the target. Whereas .177 pellets are known to continue through and therefore not deliver all the energy.

Thats not technically correct (Sorry I don't want this to sound funny in any way) but check this link out. There are a few others aswell that show evidence that a .22 pellet is thrown out by the elements more than a .177

http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179538

If you do not allow the link, please remove :yes:

It dont matter what caliber you use, its about knowing your distances, accuracy and your abilty, i wouldnt take much out past 35 yards, anything further then that, and theres a high risk of injuring your quarry, and thats not fare, you should be trying to get as close as possible lowering the chance of injury ???

Btw i use a .22 springer ???

I used to use .22 and then I tried .177 and I'm converted. .177 has a much flatter trajectory and is therefore more accurate imo. You don't have to judge holdover/under as much because of this also. Because it has a flatter trajectory, People seem to be using them more with there night vision set ups as it is alot harder to judge distances through an NV scope and the .177 is more forgiving for this.

If i was to go FAC however I would choose .20 or .22. Sub 12ft/lbs .177 all the way. ???