Pulling pigeons in

Colin g

Hi all

I am new to the forum and I have been away from shooting pigeons for a number of years as I have consentrated my efforts on foxes and rabbits but now the farmer has asked me to do some crop protection on his fields .

I have decoys ,hide nets from before also spinners , now I've been out a couple of times and every time I choose one place the pigeons seem to go and sit in trees in another and not coming into my decoys , I would then try and walk them off and set up again where they have moved to but it seems to me like cat and mouse and was wondering if there was any way I could increase my chances with a flapper to draw there attention and also the best position to put one in but at around £80 this seems to be an expensive way but if it works then I don't mind paying it .

Could I call in your experience into how to pull them in . I'm shooting over corn the farmers wife has told me but that I'm not sure, they have made a right mess of it and they are all flocked together .

Thanks in advance Colin

hi colin if its rape it will be quite leafy probably rape.its a struggle i find every winter over the rape ive got all the gadgets flapper etc ive shot 4 in 3 atempts i paid 80 quid for my flapper on the day they great same as the magnet i wouldnt go without mine im going over the rape in the morning for another go leaving magnet behind thougj to much to carry to far to walk plus muck up to your eyeballs

It will not be corn unless like JDog said its un-harvested, if it is then take plenty of cartridges! sure she did not say in the corner?

"they have made a right mess of it and they are all flocked together"

How do you know this have you seen the field, do you know what rape looks like, I only ask as you say you used to shoot pigeons.

How to pull pigeons on winter rape....well without sending you to sleep trying to explain and going over old ground you would do better to look at the threads on this very subject, it isn't easy pulling pigeons on winter rape, but you might just fall lucky especially if they have not been shot on that field.

Hi

I used to shoot pigeons but it was decoying in the cow fields under a flight line but the farmer rents the land out now and another farmer grows crops in it , I think it is rape as I've looked on google images that said Ive not shot over crops before .

They haven't been shot at before well in a few years at least and there are patches all over the fields thus the farmer resorting in putting flags all over the field

Colin

Just keep trying keep farmer happy keep reading shooting tips etc loads on here on setting up decoy patterns etc when they harvest that rape layer in the year I'm sure you will have them decoying then but the farmer needs you there now you will reep the rewards then come harvest time

Thanks , I keep reading the tips and I am starting to get a very good understanding of much of this I think I will add a flapper into the pattern to see if this can pull one or two in to increase my chances .

As you say I'll keep going it's the only way to learn .

Watch the fields and learn the flightlines and sitty trees. You will not get much success decoying in winter. If the farmer wants you protecting the rape then travel light with a half a dozen decoys in front of a sitty tree. Best chances are on windy days like this week. Once the flocks break up in the spring then they will decoy.

Watch the fields and learn the flightlines and sitty trees. You will not get much success decoying in winter. If the farmer wants you protecting the rape then travel light with a half a dozen decoys in front of a sitty tree. Best chances are on windy days like this week. Once the flocks break up in the spring then they will decoy.

I've got just the tree in mind as I've been watching when sat in the hide and when I first watched them, I've also got Thursday morning clear just hope the rain keeps off , cheers