Fishin', how much and what's needed?

rodp

My dear wife has decided we need to go fishing :hmm: I think it's probably because she wants us to do more together and she knows if it's not in the great outdoors I'm not interested :lol:

Bear in mind the last time I went fishing (not counting for tiddlers with 12 bore) I would have been at school and it would have been with a 5shilling fishing kit :yes:

So, what do I need (probably just use one lot of gear), and how much? Do I need a licence no matter where?

I can see this escapade being numptys on tour :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are we talking coarse or game?

Either way you will need a rod license.

If it`s coarse then Dragon carp do some very cheap gear. They take a lot of stick from some anglers but I have one of their rods and it`s a perfectly serviceable piece of kit. Having said that I wouldn`t buy one of their reels. For a cheap reel look at the Crivit reels that Lidl sell, I have 4 and they`re very good quality for the money. Or you can shop around for some 2nd hand gear, people are always selling off full set ups. Check your local paper there are often some bargains to be had.

Basics you`ll need are a rod, rod rest, reel, line, some floats, some shot, hooks, disgorger and/or some forceps, landing net and pole.

Are we talking coarse or game?

Either way you will need a rod license.

If it`s coarse then Dragon carp do some very cheap gear. They take a lot of stick from some anglers but I have one of their rods and it`s a perfectly serviceable piece of kit. Having said that I wouldn`t buy one of their reels. For a cheap reel look at the Crivit reels that Lidl sell, I have 4 and they`re very good quality for the money. Or you can shop around for some 2nd hand gear, people are always selling off full set ups. Check your local paper there are often some bargains to be had.

Basics you`ll need are a rod, rod rest, reel, line, some floats, some shot, hooks, disgorger and/or some forceps, landing net and pole.

Probably in a river, as there's one on a shoot I do. How big a rod, what size line / hooks etc ? Told you I know nothing about fishing :lol: I mean NOTHING :no:

lol ok. Is it a big river, any idea what`s in it?

Fish ? Probably about 20' / 30' across and not too deep in summer, raging torrent in flood and rises a good 15'. Not going near it in flood though.

Like most sports you can choose to spend peanuts or £1000s , if its just the odd bit of course fishing then £200 should get you most of whats needed.

Probably be the lower end to be honest, just in case she says "nah, don't like this"

My dear wife has decided we need to go fishing :hmm: I think it's probably because she wants us to do more together and she knows if it's not in the great outdoors I'm not interested :lol:

Bear in mind the last time I went fishing (not counting for tiddlers with 12 bore) I would have been at school and it would have been with a 5shilling fishing kit :yes:

So, what do I need (probably just use one lot of gear), and how much? Do I need a licence no matter where?

I can see this escapade being numptys on tour :lol: :lol: :lol: hello, where in the black country are you, have a think on trout fishing, can get a kit for £50 each and eat what you catch, check out trout fishing in your area. rod licence £25 each or there abouts. what is the river??

Fish ? Probably about 20' / 30' across and not too deep in summer, raging torrent in flood and rises a good 15'. Not going near it in flood though.

lol

Ok gives me a general idea I guess.

I`d go for a 12" or 13" general purpose waggler rod. You could go for a stick float rod but they`re harder to come by and if you`re only doing some casual fishing it`s probably not worth the effort or extra expense.

Reel wise a centrepin might be your best option or something with a closed face. They`re better for "trotting" a float than a regular reel.

Line something in the 2-4lb range should be plenty. Hooks, buy a selection of sizes, 12,14,16,18,20 should cover most things. Floats you should buy a few wagglers and a few stick floats. If you use stick floats you`ll also need to buy some float rubbers. Shot you can buy in containers that have various sizes in them.

I dare say if you pop down to your local tackle shop they`d be willing to offer some advice.

I can see this escapade being numptys on tour :lol: :lol: :lol: hello, where in the black country are you, have a think on trout fishing, can get a kit for £50 each and eat what you catch, check out trout fishing in your area. rod licence £25 each or there abouts. what is the river??

River Teme

lol

Ok gives me a general idea I guess.

I`d go for a 12" or 13" general purpose waggler rod. You could go for a stick float rod but they`re harder to come by and if you`re only doing some casual fishing it`s probably not worth the effort or extra expense.

Reel wise a centrepin might be your best option or something with a closed face. They`re better for "trotting" a float than a regular reel.

Line something in the 2-4lb range should be plenty. Hooks, buy a selection of sizes, 12,14,16,18,20 should cover most things. Floats you should buy a few wagglers and a few stick floats. If you use stick floats you`ll also need to buy some float rubbers. Shot you can buy in containers that have various sizes in them.

I dare say if you pop down to your local tackle shop they`d be willing to offer some advice.

I'm thinking going in to a shop may be best, but don't want to fund his retirement in my ignorance :lol: Rough prices, any ideas ?

I can see this escapade being numptys on tour :lol: :lol: :lol:

are you sure she said fishing

I'm thinking going in to a shop may be best, but don't want to fund his retirement in my ignorance :lol: Rough prices, any ideas ?

Anything from £20 upwards for a rod and some of the low priced ones are pretty decent, I wouldn`t go above £50. Even in that price range you can buy some decent named brands like Daiwa, Korum, Maver.

If you go for a centrepin reel then you could do worse than a Marco Cortesi from Dragon Carp. I know I`m contradicting myself but it`s the exception that proves the rule and it generally gets very good reviews. Order online for $40 new or look on the bay.

Hooks are about £1.50 a packet if loose or you can buy them pre-tied for a little bit more.

Anything from £20 upwards for a rod and some of the low priced ones are pretty decent, I wouldn`t go above £50. Even in that price range you can buy some decent named brands like Daiwa, Korum, Maver.

If you go for a centrepin reel then you could do worse than a Marco Cortesi from Dragon Carp. I know I`m contradicting myself but it`s the exception that proves the rule and it generally gets very good reviews. Order online for $40 new or look on the bay.

Hooks are about £1.50 a packet if loose or you can buy them pre-tied for a little bit more.

:good: :good: :good:

Avon rod so you can ledger and float fish £40

Reel two spools Okuma? 20

Landing net£20

Consumables££30

Use your deck chairs and rucksack.

Get that book I mentioned. I paid one pence plus postage when I bought it.

I'll get the book :good: Ledger ....................... got one of those at work, I write all the in's and outs in it :good: .... :lol:

River Teme

hello, looks a nice river general course fishing some good speciman fishing eg barbel chub perch, it would be my suggestion to get a 10/12 ft floating fishing kit so go to a decent tackle shop and get 2 set ups about £150 each, share a unhooking mat and keepnet. 1 landing net, and that book felly mention so £200 include rod licence and fishing permits. let us know how you get on. cheers

Thanks for info everyone, very informative.

hello, looks a nice river general course fishing some good speciman fishing eg barbel chub perch, it would be my suggestion to get a 10/12 ft floating fishing kit so go to a decent tackle shop and get 2 set ups about £150 each, share a unhooking mat and keepnet. 1 landing net, and that book felly mention so £200 include rod licence and fishing permits. let us know how you get on. cheers

Where do I get a licence?