Fishin', how much and what's needed?

rodp

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the post office or online for £27. Just be aware that it runs from April 1st to 31st March irrespective of when you buy it. If you`re planning to go before April 1st this year then buy a day or week license.

Bit of a con that isn't it ? Suppose it's to be expected from the Government

I have - A 12' very old glass fibre rod.

A very old fixed spool reel.

A 10lb line.

Some hooks - 10's.

Some floats.

Some weights.

A landing net that I found on a marsh.

A canvas folding seat.

On the day I steal a couple of slices of bread and that's it. (Occasionally dig some worms out of the compost heap).

Oh - I do have a mate with a well stocked moat around his house - That helps.

Don't need all the fancy gear to enjoy yourself for an hour or two.

Barbel (if the otters ain't eaten them all). Was one of the best barbel rivers in the country for shoal (2-7lb fish) barbel. 11 - 12ft 1 1/2lb test curve rod, 8lb - 12lb line, dependent on snags. 1/2 - 6oz ledger weights (use weight dependent on strength of flow). Hooks, strong carp type in sizes 12 - 2. Bait - Halibut/Trout pellet, hemp, luncheon meat, meat balls, fishy type boilies.

River Teme

http://www.pauls-angling-supplies.co.uk/reel-kits-combos-coarse-combos-kits-c-21_23.html

I can recommend this supplier, I bought a cheapo two rod/reel beach kit from him several years ago and I'm still using them and I've bought plenty of other stuff from him too. Very helpful chap.

Only just up the road from me as well :good:

River Teme noted for it's chub and barbel, the latter pull a bit.

You also need an unhooking mat, fish welfare must be foremost.

If both of you fish (with the same rod) you will both need a license.

The license only allows you to legally use the rod. Where you fish may require a club book/season ticket or maybe just a day ticket.

River Teme noted for it's chub and barbel, the latter pull a bit.

You also need an unhooking mat, fish welfare must be foremost.

If both of you fish (with the same rod) you will both need a license.

The license only allows you to legally use the rod. Where you fish may require a club book/season ticket or maybe just a day ticket.

:good: :good: :good:

robp where about's are you got plenty gear you and ya missus can borrow to see if you like it

colin

Colin, that's very good of you mate. I'm up near Brum but Bedford isn't too far. At the moment she seems to have gone quiet on it and I've said nowt :good: Got that book that was recommended on it's way, when it arrives I'll give it to her to read and we'll see what happens then :lol:

I may take you up on that offer though, thanks :good:

Rod

Colin, that's very good of you mate. I'm up near Brum but Bedford isn't too far. At the moment she seems to have gone quiet on it and I've said nowt :good: Got that book that was recommended on it's way, when it arrives I'll give it to her to read and we'll see what happens then :lol:

I may take you up on that offer though, thanks :good:

Rod

if it's later in the year there is plenty good fishing round this way we could make a day of it and point you in the right direction

wouldn't want you picking too many bad habit's up of John Wilson lol

colin

lol

Ok gives me a general idea I guess.

I`d go for a 12" or 13" general purpose waggler rod. You could go for a stick float rod but they`re harder to come by and if you`re only doing some casual fishing it`s probably not worth the effort or extra expense.

Reel wise a centrepin might be your best option or something with a closed face. They`re better for "trotting" a float than a regular reel.

Line something in the 2-4lb range should be plenty. Hooks, buy a selection of sizes, 12,14,16,18,20 should cover most things. Floats you should buy a few wagglers and a few stick floats. If you use stick floats you`ll also need to buy some float rubbers. Shot you can buy in containers that have various sizes in them.

I dare say if you pop down to your local tackle shop they`d be willing to offer some advice.

A 12 inch or 13 inch rod might be a tad short for river work Neil :lol:

You've got what many of us dream about (others might have nightmares) in a wife who wants to go fishing with you. Many wives don't want to know about fishing and can't understand why, when they sell off their dearly beloved's tackle after the funeral, it fetches more second hand than what he said he'd paid for it.

My suggestion is this. You ain't daft enough to buy a full price rod licence for the last couple of months use especially this sort of weather. So realistically you won't be starting until June as there is a three month close season on rivers. That gives you four months to get sorted out. So in the meantime look at ebay for second hand complete outfits. You only need the basics and second hand stuff is cheap and you won't lose out if you decide that fishing isn't for you. All each of you want is a float rod or Avon rod from 10 foot to 12 foot long or a medium quiver tip rod of around 10 or 11 foot, a fixed spool reel around the 3000 - 4000 size, landing net, some floats, hooks, weights, feeders and a box of split shot and a disgorger. Make sure the rods are rated for line around 3 - 6lb and get your line new. That is the only thing I wouldn't buy second hand. 3lb for floats or 4lb for the quiver rod should do for most light coarse fishing.