Fishin', how much and what's needed?

rodp

It's the price you pay for being a Dragon Carp sponsored angler. Fame, fortune and just a little bit of **** taking.

p.s. I'm not Sam :ninja:

Hmmm . . .

Must be Flightliner then. If not then I`m really baffled. :hmm:

Cancel that, just noticed the name on your signature. Hi Clive aka Nicepix. Didn`t know you were a member on here.

Edited by Danger-Mouse

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You've got what many of us dream about (others might have nightmares) in a wife who wants to go fishing with you. Many wives don't want to know about fishing and can't understand why, when they sell off their dearly beloved's tackle after the funeral, it fetches more second hand than what he said he'd paid for it.

My suggestion is this. You ain't daft enough to buy a full price rod licence for the last couple of months use especially this sort of weather. So realistically you won't be starting until June as there is a three month close season on rivers. That gives you four months to get sorted out. So in the meantime look at ebay for second hand complete outfits. You only need the basics and second hand stuff is cheap and you won't lose out if you decide that fishing isn't for you. All each of you want is a float rod or Avon rod from 10 foot to 12 foot long or a medium quiver tip rod of around 10 or 11 foot, a fixed spool reel around the 3000 - 4000 size, landing net, some floats, hooks, weights, feeders and a box of split shot and a disgorger. Make sure the rods are rated for line around 3 - 6lb and get your line new. That is the only thing I wouldn't buy second hand. 3lb for floats or 4lb for the quiver rod should do for most light coarse fishing.

:good:

I stopped posting after moving to France four years ago. Don't get any shooting out here. I just browse the forum every now and again.

Not popular out there or just no opportunities near you?

Btw Rod, listen to this man over my advice. He`s a far better angler with tons more river fishing experience than I have.

Not popular out there or just no opportunities near you?

Btw Rod, listen to this man over my advice. He`s a far better angler with tons more river fishing experience than I have.

Loads of shooting. But very, very different and not a pigeon to be seen.

"Btw Rod, listen to this man over my advice. He`s a far better angler with tons more river fishing experience than I have." Hah-Ha! What he means is I have more experience in buying cheap tackle :lol:

"Btw Rod, listen to this man over my advice. He`s a far better angler with tons more river fishing experience than I have." Hah-Ha! What he means is I have more experience in buying cheap tackle :lol:

Probably where I need to be though as I'm not sure how the dear wife will take to it. Got to admit though, sitting on a river bank in the sun does sound appealing :lol:

You could always go all Jasper Carrot on your moles :lol:

The man doth protesteth too much. Anyway, nowt wrong with cheap tackle if you can catch on it.

get what ever tackle you like but the only bit that matters is what goes in the water and how you present your bait, the fish won't know if your using a £20 or £2k rod cheap gear is ok if you learn how to use it,

don't forget my offer rodp got plenty tackle here and if you get on ok i am sure i could spare some for a good cause lol

Colin

if you were closer would take you out on the broads..either bank or on the boat...

As said..if you are on the rivers look at a 12 foot quiver rod

fixed spool reel

couple of swimfeeders and hooks

landing net and un hooking mat...

also have a chat with your local tackle shop as sure they can point you in the way of a local instructor or must be a couple of people on here that would take you out...

if your not really certain on what is in the lake/river test it first

5lb mainline

size 16/14 barbless hooks

2lb hook link

small self cocking float

your fishing, once you start catching small fish roach/perch ect its only a matter of time before something more exciting come to light.

once you get a feel for what's in the water you can change your tackle accordingly for example if you keep seeing bream or tench(bubbles) you can then bang out a small swim feeder/ bottom bait.

if you start seeing signs of carp you can smash out a few boilies or a bit of meat.

I took my wife fishing once. It was in Cyprus on the Evretou Dam where I'd been catching carp on my allowed 'fishing days.' I sat her down in deck chair, cast in and less then five minutes later she got a take. I told her to pick the rod up and wind in slowly. The clutch had been set appropriately and after about ten minutes of constant winding a beautiful mirror carp of around 15lb came to the net. Fish was unhooked, photographed and returned and less then ten minutes later she'd had enough and was ready for home. Never been again since.

Strange things women carp. :whistling:

Edited by UKPoacher

take her to a commercial lake where she will be catching left, right and center. this will surely get her 'hooked' that way you'll get away with the occasional day sitting there in the freezing cold catching nothing but a runny nose

Not a bad idea. :good:

Rivers can be very tricky places to fish. That`s not to say that every commercial lake is a bagging up opportunity but the majority are easier by comparison.

We won't go in to it expecting big catches, it's the being there that counts, bit like shooting really :good: It's more for time out together, she knows I'm not interested in indoor pursuits and haven't been in a pub for years so it's something we can do together :good: