brno/cz or another....?

I am in the process of buying a .22 rimfire, upgrading from my airrifle, but am not sure which to buy. cost is a pointer and i think that a bolt action under £300 is what i want. i like my accuracy so im going to go for a bolt action.

i have looked at the cz 452 bolt action, but have always liked the look of the marlin range, are there any other makes for about this price range..?.also can you get hold of left hand models, i know it wont make much difference as i have shot mostly right hand rifles but i am naturally left handed and wondered if they are produced.

i will mainly be rabbitting and also need some info on rounds. if i go for the lr i believe you can get standard and subsonic rounds. what does that do for distance and accuracy.

the gamekeeper has asked that occasionally he may have fox problems, from my previous shooting experience i thought that you needed a minimum caliber of .222 for fox...? if not then what kind of range for a fox from these two rounds. some people i have asked stated that for rabbit the standard range is out to 100m, with subsonic it would be to 150m [accuracy dependant etc], for fox standard would be to 75m, subsonic to 100m.

i dont want to go for a mag round due to cost/excessive noise/not often after fox/ and i query the accuracy of the mag compared to lr.

what is the difference between high velocity rounds and subsonic..? if any?

loads of questions but i want to make the right choice...thanks...

I have had a couple of the BRNO's and loved them, but even better was my Sako finnfire, unfortunatley had to trade it on my new foxing rifle. But when funds allow i will definately go for the heavy barrel finnfire, with a sound moderator.

150m with subs on rabbits is pushing it, i reckon that that is about 165yards, the rifles and loads are not inherently accurate to do that consistently. I had a hell of a rabbit set up (finnfire, mod, Schmidt and Bender scope, and bipod) and was pushing it to kill consistently with subs out past 130yards. Not saying it cant be done its just down to luck a bit to much for my liking.( I saw a stoat headshot at 150yards, when it poked its head out of a rabbit warren.)

Subsonic rounds wont travel as far as high velocity, as they come out slower they slow at a shorter distance and as such start falling quicker, thus they are harder to shoot at distances as you have to take more drop into account. But if you are after a rabbiting round go for the subs.

Using a .22rf, if you are specificaly after foxes seems to me to be a waste of time, and leads to more lampshy foxes. Personaly i never shot them at more than 75yards with the .22rf, although they are great for clearing up the cubs with.

You also need to make sure that you put down for a sound moderator on your FAC application, to make the subs as quite as possible

Thanks for that...

i agree 150m looks a long way especially when youre coming form the airrifle background, and i dont want unnecessary misses.

can you go through the different rounds though...i thought that the subsonic was the one to push out the range...is that not so? is it infact the high velocity rounds that do the best long distance work?...are the subsonic any better than the standard rounds? and how do they affect the noise.

i will be getting a bipod, but on seeing the rifle i thought it looked small to fit a bipod on...prob just me!!!

how much does a good moderator affect sound??? i have heard good reports about the ase ultra jet-z rimfire moderator.

again thanks for replying...

Standard and High velocity rounds travel so fast that they always have a muzzle crack so the silencer really doesnt work with them,as for sub sonic rounds they travel slower and are a generally heavier weight of lead nearly 40grains so they drop quicker once fired so the aiming mark(holdover) is greater at differing ranges, they also are near silent when fired through a rifle with a silencer fitted,down range at 30yds there is no noise at all from the muzzle and all you hear is the firing pin click,A rimfire fitted with a good silencer is as quiet as a PCP air rifle. I have a nice Cz452 Style that I use for rabbits etc,its zero is 50 paces and,the silencer on it is made by Sandwell Field Sports and was £45 I have the barrel shortened to 15" aswell and a bipod fitted,I fitted a new trigger spring to get the pull weight nearer my air rifles style of pull,the spring kit I got from America but you can get them over here now for around £12 from South Yorkshire shooting supplies. As for silencers the Parker hale range is fine at about £25 and they are strippable to clean aswell,the Sako silencer is also a good one but more expensive.

If you want and accurate rifle then te Cz 452 is real value and can match any other rifle once you have sorted the trigger which is very simple,I particularly like the Cz American and the Cz Varmint,if you call Edgars on 01625 613 177 they will send you a free video on the whole range of Cz 452's. take a look at this web page for some more info on Cz rifles

Rimfire central CZ pages

hth

clanchief

Thamks everyone for the help...it is clearing things up...just got the goahead on 3500 acres of land here for vermin so its been a good day!!!!

can anyone give a rough price for barrel shortening by a good gunsmith?

how heavy are the bipods/ how much do they effect balance....can you get ones that are easy/quick release/instal..i have heard of ones that can fit onto a quick release sling stud... is that right? so that you can carry the rifle on the sling and then detach and attach the bipod...

thanks again

toka, bipods are a very worthwhile aid. My recommendation would be to go for one of the Harris range. They attatch to the front sling stud and you then fix your sling swivel to the bipod, so there is no need to swap between the two, in fact I never take mine off my rifles at all. Although they are light weight, they do inevitably affect the balance of the rifle, but it's not a major thing and you soon get used to it.

Q <_<

Guest Mr Pieman

Toka,

have a look at the Anchutz range - they make a true left hand rifle. It is a short barrel carbine model and is excellent - I've got one! I shot over 5000 rabbits last year so it must be quite reasonable!

Don't forget a good scope. The recoil is virtually undetectable with a .22 so they are fairly kind to scopes. Buy the best piece of glass you can afford, it will pay dividends in the future. :D:lol:

PP

i've a 3-9x56 illuminated tasco for it, but my current airrifle, falcon lighthunter has a tasco pa 3-9x40 wa that i can swap if needs be.

i've found a jsr target pro bipod for 39.99 and it seems reasonable?

i have read about differences in the cz 452 range on this site, i will read more re the barrel fixings and any likely accuracy differences.

i dont know if anyone out there knows of any problems/good points associated with which model....if certain ones come with sling mounts etc, shorted barrels etc...i would like to know more.

http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/search.ph...ng&pagenumber=2

thanks,

You wont go far wrong with a brno/CZ my one is 20 years old. cost me about £80 and groups well 1" at 100 yards. the Sako sound moderator is about £25 but is a simpler construction to the parker hale, and is as good.

For the bipod dont waste your money on a Harris. ( howls of protest :D ) get the Outers copy. I just imported 2 from the states for £58 including P&P etc. I cannot tell the difference between these and the Harris and for £20 each for the 13/23" model. thats a big saving. :lol:

I've just had a look at the CZ-USA web site and seen the Silhouette.... That is a superb rifle!

Ok, I'm going to start saving and get my FAC, just so that I can have one for my shoots. My FN12 Raptor Lighthunter looks nice, but the CZ looks so much sleaker!

Mind you, the Finnfire looks good in a different, more traditional way. It's just about 500 dollars more expensive!

Wookie

thanks for so much interest!!!!!

i know there are different versions; classic or american/style/silhouette/varmint. i have read some of the reports but does anyone feel one in particular is more accurate than the other....personally i have never liked the 'shiney' look as its easier to get spotted when hunting....i have always gone for the wooden stock [a kind of natural/traditional reason- no more]...whith this in mindthe varmint or classic seem the best but does anyone have any other views, i can still be persuaded... bear in mind it is for hunting in the main...

NGhost...do you have any more info on that bipod you mentioned?

again thanks and keep the info coming...

Not realy, try emailing the guy kdkaiser@bwsys.net.

try a search on ebay for Outers, check the available to the UK button.

This is what I have found

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...&category=36258