romford FAO and cabinets in attic ?

stubby

a few off you may remember my post about splitting up with the wife and moving my guns/cabinet, I've now got a flat in romford,checked it out yesterday and not a solid brick wall anywhere, unless I start removing drywall which I doubt they will let me do, so my thoughts have turned to the attic, could easily bolt it to the rafters, anyone else in romford that's done this ?

any ideas if it's deemed ok ?

Personally, I don't like attics for gun cabinet storage. Too many variations in temperature and humidity, leading to considerable amounts of condensation. There was a thread a month or 2 ago where someone who's cabinet was in an attic, and the gun was now covered in rust spots.

It doesn't have to be fixed to brick / block. The floor will do (fixing through the floor to joists, for example) see page 5 of the HO firearm security guide :

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/117794/security_leaflet.pdf

I just had my FAO interview 2 week ago with thames Valley police and they was fine with my cabinet this is what I done cause I had a promblem with finding a brick wall.

I put the cabinet in my up stairs built in wardrobe I found which I think is called stubbing the 2 by 4 behind the plaster board I then screwed two 2 by 4 at the top and bottom which lined up with the holes on the cabinet going horizontal.I then using sercuity screws screwed a inch thick of plywood on to the two by fours and then bolted the cabinet in using coach screws and bolted the cabinet into the floor using coach screws. The cabinet on there is rock solid and won't move. The FAO told me they understand that new buildings are pretty hard to find a solid brick walls now days and they have to take that into consideration as long as it's in nice and solid and can't be ripped of its fine hopes this helps m8.

I just had my FAO interview 2 week ago with thames Valley police and they was fine with my cabinet this is what I done cause I had a promblem with finding a brick wall.

I put the cabinet in my up stairs built in wardrobe I found which I think is called stubbing the 2 by 4 behind the plaster board I then screwed two 2 by 4 at the top and bottom which lined up with the holes on the cabinet going horizontal.I then using sercuity screws screwed a inch thick of plywood on to the two by fours and then bolted the cabinet in using coach screws and bolted the cabinet into the floor using coach screws. The cabinet on there is rock solid and won't move. The FAO told me they understand that new buildings are pretty hard to find a solid brick walls now days and they have to take that into consideration as long as it's in nice and solid and can't be ripped of its fine hopes this helps m8.

cheers kory, I reckon I can do that, the landlord is my sister so shouldn't be a problem

The law says 'as secure as is reasonably practicable and out of sight of the casual observer' IIRC. For many, that is a cabinet, although many years ago, that was not the case for my dad and I. We had steel cable secured to a wall inside a locked heating flue cupboard in a locked bedroom (mine).

Oh, we did enjoy the to'ing and fro'ing with the local WPC (as was), as she demanded a steel cabinet, demanded that my mum be given the cupboard keys to allow her to check whilst my dad was at work and then threaten my dad with revocation when he declined her offer to break the law because she didn't want to come out when he was at home. Local Chief Inspector who turned up all pips and braid, couldn't apologies enough when he hand delivered my dad's cert.

if im not mistaken, i believe you dont even need a cabinet, it can be secured to a wall as in a rfd with the steel wire thingy? so i was told. :hmm:

Edited by Penelope

The only complaint more of a reservation the FEO can have that if the safe is not easily accessible you are more likely to leave the gun out, I know that would not be the case with Steve (Stubby) but might to something to be prepared for when you have a meeting, forewarned is forearmed as they say.

Good luck and sorry to hear the news.

Terry