is it legal to euthanasia youre own dog in the uk

tunza

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I nearly did this a couple of dogs back purely because I couldn't face taking the dog to the vets, I was too upset. Fortunately with the help of my partner I did end up at the vets, she went ahead and dealt with the formalities and I went straight thru to where the deed was done. A much better prospect, I shan't consider shooting a dog again.

My neighbour did it for his old Staffie.

He cared for it well all its life can't fault him and when the time come the vet said it was £120, so he took it out for a walk with his shotgun. Not something most would do but quick etc I'd imagine.

Know one of the lads done it for a bloke who's lab went proper nasty , he was too upset to do it himself but knew the dog was a liability so this fella did it for him.

Legally I think it's unacceptable to cause pain and suffering.

If you think it will be less traumatic for the dog than taking it to the vets then crack on. It takes a strong bloke to do it but if you think you can then good on you. A shot to the back of the head with a shotgun will be as humane as it gets as long as it's placed properly.

Plenty do , and after having to watch the multiple attempts the vet made on the last one I lost I wish I had the stomach to do it.

Same here, my girl has to go in tomorrow as she has suddenly gone real ill.

If it comes to it I may do it myself this time to save us both the grief.

Shooting a dog, while effective, seems too brutal for what many consider a pet or companion. It's a pity that you cannot self administer a chemical solution at home.If it came to it, with my old lurcher, I'd happily pay the premium of a home visit from a vet, I'd even do the injection myself. She has earned the right to leave us with the minimum of stress. It's a real pity I can't elect myself for the same treatment.