is it legal to euthanasia youre own dog in the uk

tunza

Shooting a dog, while effective, seems too brutal for what many consider a pet or companion. It's a pity that you cannot self administer a chemical solution at home.If it came to it, with my old lurcher, I'd happily pay the premium of a home visit from a vet, I'd even do the injection myself. She has earned the right to leave us with the minimum of stress. It's a real pity I can't elect myself for the same treatment.

I can tell you from experience a home visit from a vet does not always mean a dignified end for them.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seen it done plenty of times by farmers and lads who ran hounds. Saw a hound hit by a car and it's back leg was hanging on by a bit of skin the dog was in shock trying to stand up and losing blood quickly...then after acouple of seconds the dog started to scream out in pain luckily enough there was someone close by put it out its misery...also had a mate who had a terrier wich was that nasty with anyone else no vet could of put it to sleep

I can tell you from experience a home visit from a vet does not always mean a dignified end for them.

I live in a fairly rural area. The vets around here earn their reputation and, unsurprisingly, don't charge a fortune. I'd be confident that they would do the best they can.

Hi

But is it legal !!!!

At what point do you decide the time has come ?

As sportsmen we are proberably guilty of keeping our companions that little bit to long

We are basically soft at the end

There are others with a more callouse disposition that would shoot them for the wrong reason

I'm sure you can imagine the type

So personally think it's legal if the animal is in obvious untreatable distress due to injury or old age ( grey area ) as age isn't a reason health is !

Ideally to secure the animals welfare I believe a third party should be involved (vet ) this safeguards both the dog and owner

Just a few thoughts on it

All the best

Of

As people have stated yes it's legal to kill your own dog. It's causing pain and suffering that's illegal. A dog is no different to any other animal when choosing a method of killing them. Shooting is quick done right.

If your dog was hurt badly when out in the countryside or on a shoot and was going to die would you mess around getting it to a vet to be put down causing pain and suffering or would you put the dog down yourself. As for showing your dog/ pet shooting companion respect that is down to the indevidual to decide.

For me making it quick and as stress free is giving it the respect it deserves if that means the vet fine if it means I have to do it then that's what I'd do.

None of wants our dogs to suffer or any animal for that matter. It why we give the coupe de grace to any bird or animal not killed cleanly.

Shotgun would be messy, a .22 to the head would do the job very well. No risk of over penetration, the bullet will just bounce around the inside of the skull. Just like turning off a light switch. A .22 pistol is Mossad's weapon of choice for up close and personal for those reasons. I have put down a large deer with a 9mm pistol, one shot to the head, a couple of twitches and it was over, less than a couple of seconds, not much mess, just an entry hole and some blood.

The dog must not suffer. None of the dogs has liked going to the vets and used to get in a right state when they had to be taken there. I would have found it impossible for me to have walked out through a waiting room after the event. Sometimes it is a stressful end by the injection as a bloke and his son found out with their dog that had to be put down. You know when the end has come and you must be brave to make the decision but the dog must not suffer from a drawn out painful end. There is no way that I would shoot them in the head as this would be very destructive and a very disturbing last memory of your best mate.

Edited by fortune

Shotgun would be messy, a .22 to the head would do the job very well. No risk of over penetration, the bullet will just bounce around the inside of the skull. Just like turning off a light switch. A .22 pistol is Mossad's weapon of choice for up close and personal for those reasons. I have put down a large deer with a 9mm pistol, one shot to the head, a couple of twitches and it was over, less than a couple of seconds, not much mess, just an entry hole and some blood.

Shotgun need not be messy. I would prefer it to a .22 rimfire.

Iv done it twice,

Both times to end a dogs suffering.

First one had badly injured himself and was paralysed, so I shot him there and then.

The second was hit by a car and smashed her leg amongst other injuries.

It was quicker to take her to a field than a vet.

.410 back of the head killed both dogs instantly.

I wouldn't suggest a 12 bore.

As fair as I know any one with the correct means can put a dog down as long as it dosent suffer.

My mate had a deerhound put down last year the vet couldn't find a vein.

After many attempts they decided to inject into the dogs heart.

Can you imagine the suffering?

He's never forgiven himself or the vet.

That's not for me.

I personally would never take a dog of mine to the vet again

And for all those that say "give the dog some respect" well I do... the utmost!!!

I have seen massive suffering and heartbreak via vets when it comes to putting animals down! I have never seen a dog suffer when put down with a 410

Nice long walk in the field, last few minutes together, pocket full of favorite treats and job done... but as other have said you have to be happy and confident to do it.

Yes it is legal, yes it can be done.

Not for me im afraid :no: do the decent thing and take him to the vets,show the dog some respect :yes: BB

I couldn't do it myself unless was the dog in distress, ie a car accident and you putting an end to the suffering, BUT taking him to the vets doesn't show any more respect for the dog than doing it yourself, as long the reason is valid and not just to save a vets bill, I'm a farmer and I've seen more bungled put to sleep attempts from vets than any knackerman.

I personally would like to be strong enough to take the dog out and spend the last few precious moments in a nice field or woods and do the job myself and bury in a nice place with a few tears but alas I not think I could, but good luck to those who are it's certainly isn't a nice thing to do but is part of the responsibility of owning a dog is to care for its end.

If you think it will be less traumatic for the dog than taking it to the vets then crack on. It takes a strong bloke to do it but if you think you can then good on you. A shot to the back of the head with a shotgun will be as humane as it gets as long as it's placed properly.

+1, but I use the .22. After they've been to the vets a few times, they often don't like going there.

Hi

But is it legal !!!!

At what point do you decide the time has come ?

As sportsmen we are proberably guilty of keeping our companions that little bit to long

We are basically soft at the end

There are others with a more callouse disposition that would shoot them for the wrong reason

I'm sure you can imagine the type

So personally think it's legal if the animal is in obvious untreatable distress due to injury or old age ( grey area ) as age isn't a reason health is !

Ideally to secure the animals welfare I believe a third party should be involved (vet ) this safeguards both the dog and owner

Just a few thoughts on it

All the best

Of

To answer the question of when is the right time... this is a very difficult one and very personal. All I would say is you will know

My last old girl to go was 17, the last few years she had deteriorated and got more and more confused. We stopped any holidays as kennels were out of the question, she was easily confused and nigh on totally blind and would get stressed when not in her confort zone (familiar smells and sounds.

This was ok and although she was walked on her own (not with the high energy "pups") we respected her age and fragility. She had started defecating in the house (Some that she would never do) and over a period of a few weeks her back end got worse and worse.

Each morning I had to help her out of bed and watch her in the garden and then guide her back to the house (usually in tears). If you touched her she would howl in pain.

Its bloody hard to make the decision but the morning we found her in her bed because she couldn't get up and was laying in her own mess was the trigger that both me and the wife said enough was enough.

My old girl had no dignity any more. The drive too the field was harder than the job at hand, quite a few tears but relief that she was out of pain.

Its not something enjoyable but it is my belief that as a society we are too detached from death, people who own dogs should be prepared that the dog will "go" before them (hopefully) and that this has too be respected and understood. We cant keep hold of them because it hurts, death is apart of life and as hunters, pest controllers etc we all should all recognise this.

I could'nt do it.I know of 2 keepers who do,both think it is part of their job/relationship with their working dogs to do it themselves..........having recently spent £121 to have a cat put down it did make me think a 25p clay cartridge would have been more cost effective but I would worry that my last memory of the pet would be me spreading it around the garden...have shot many a fox up close and personal and bizarrely don't give it a second thought........weird really..but us Brits do love our pets,and dogs really are a family member....IF I thought one of my dogs was dying and in extreme pain and I was miles from anywhere then I guess I would make myself 'do the right thing' but I really don't want to be in that position.

This is just my personal veiw on this subject but where i have the problem is this ... I can and have shot most things without a second thought . But regards my mutt . I and no dount others tend to humanize our pets . And for me to have to put him down i would have to de- humanize him . THATS where i think i may have a problem . But untill that day comes and IF im.put into that position i could never really give a true and honest answer . I do know for certain whatever happens when the time come the dogs welfare would be first .

Just my veiw . But i cartainly would not think any less of anyone who could do it as long as it was right .

My last dog went on a one way trip to the wood with the .22, first time I have done it myself and when the time comes in the future it is what I will do again.

Poor old beggar was full of cancer and when the day came he thought he was on a hunting trip, one quick shot into the ground 30 meters away got him staring that way to see if there was anything to retrieve then cycle a second round and a shot from inches away into the back of the head. The old lad dropped on the spot doing what he loved, never felt a thing and no mess.

Edited by scolopax

It didn't come to it in the end and the dog recovered but we had a very poorly cocker who despite being very poorly was still full of beans (contradiction in terms I know). If it came to the point of her needing to put down my OH was going to take her for a walk, let her hunt and then do the deed without her knowing anything about it.

It should be said that this was after we had to have a ten week old pup put down and, well, it took him a long time to go as the vet couldn't find a vein and had to inject him in the kidneys.