Cartridge Velocity Test 06/02/2016

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks a lot for all that testing, must have taken some time, work and a lot of money!

Is there a way one could help? ie sending a box of something you don't have and want? Perhaps just post a list, and people can send you a box? Or re-selling 'slab minus two boxes'? not sure how that would work post-wise...

Edited by buze

Hi Johnny,

Thanks for taking the time (and money!) to complete, all very interesting.

Presumably the results you've posted are an average of several shots for each cartridge type, out of interest, how many shots do you take with each type to arrive at the average, and, how much variance in speed do you see between each of these shots for a given cartridge?

How much might a given cartridge vary between shots, 20, 50, 100fps? Maybe some are more consistent than others? I think this would also be quite interesting to see.

If you've still got all the data, i dont mind having a look at it to see if this (or anything else) can be found

Any help would be appreciated, it's costing me a bloody fortune lol

How many cartridges do you need to test them?

I see you've done a few 20 gauge and I have a couple of different boxes coming.

Can you test 410?

What are the rules about sending cartridges in the post?

The only company I know who sends them are Just Cartridges using a courier but I can't imagine many couriers would want to handle them these days.

Chris.

Fibre doesn't chrono, the smoke cloud obscures the chrono

Just noticed this, I suppose that really limits what you can test.

3 cartridges shot per test, then an average of these three, the most consistent are Rottweil, then Winchester clay cartridges.

I don't have a 20 bore my friends tested them when I had the chrono with me, but I plan to get a 20 bore, only once I have used up all the excess 12b I have. I collected a few .410 cartridges from people and as my nephews get older I hope to get them a little try gun with the plan that I can use it todo the tests!

I think this is a fantastic resource and I know people on other sites refer to it too.

It saves me money as I can rule out cartridges I'm not interested in without having to buy a few boxes and I'm sure others are saving money too.

Can we not get a few locals to help you out and loan you their guns to do the tests for gauges you haven't got?

I'd certainly help you with it if I was anywhere near.

It would really need to be the same gun and choke used each time as you probably do at the moment.

I tend to buy a slab when I'm trying something new so I certainly wouldn't miss 3 cartridges.

I think this is a fantastic resource and I know people on other sites refer to it too.

It saves me money as I can rule out cartridges I'm not interested in without having to buy a few boxes and I'm sure others are saving money too.

Can we not get a few locals to help you out and loan you their guns to do the tests for gauges you haven't got?

I'd certainly help you with it if I was anywhere near.

It would really need to be the same gun and choke used each time as you probably do at the moment.

I tend to buy a slab when I'm trying something new so I certainly wouldn't miss 3 cartridges.

Why would you rule out cartridges based on velocity?

The same gun/choke need not be used.

Why would you rule out cartridges based on velocity?

The same gun/choke need not be used.

Because I might be looking for fast or slow cartridges for a particular application?

Subsonic ones are an obvious reason - for people using hushpower guns.

A lot of cartridges aren't anything like as fast as the manufacturer says so there might be cartridges that aren't marked as subsonic but they are.

Lower recoil might be another. I might want to buy super fast cartridges for clays if that suits my style.

I can think of loads of reasons.

Why bother doing velocity tests if you're not going to act on the information in some way?

It wouldn't be a very scientific test of anything if you used a different setup every time would it?

There might not be much variation but it will be there.

If a particular cartridge doesn't perform in some way you have a reference point if you used the same gun.

One friend used it to match all different weight cartridges for different applications , he found a speed that roughly suited him matched all the cartridges around this speed and reckons his shooting is more consistent fr it!

Wether it does or doesn't is another thing, but it gives him the confidence that has made him a better shot!

• 1 month later...
Guest cookoff013

johnny I would like to know if you could put plastic or fibre on your results I charge 10 pounds for testing 10 shots lead only speed and pressure so drop them in will do straight away if you are not bothered about conditioning George 07714 323 909

George,

why no steel testing?

• 2 months later...

Lots of other differences between cartridges. Different powders, wads, primers, different antimony content of the shot, also different polishing of the shot. There are other differences, too.

An awd lad been shooting years asked my what made one 7.5 28g cart different to another, and All I could think was speed,so I wanted to show him this post!