Cartridge Velocity Test 06/02/2016

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 07/02/2016 at 08:35, kennett said:

I felt every one of those 1404f from the fiocchi golden pheasant last night, through my synthetic pump! They are an awesome cartridge though, and i can't believe how slow hull high pheasant are!

Yeh Hull (not so high) pheasant, brain wash or what, but seriously A Big thank you for this excellent information 👍

10 hours ago, steve s×s said:

Yeh Hull (not so high) pheasant, brain wash or what, but seriously A Big thank you for this excellent information 👍

Not quite so sure. The only problem with their High Pheasant is not with the cartridge, but the Company -  they've stopped doing 7s.

Deducing the muzzle velocity backwards from a given measuring distance is apparently a black art. Although I ignore it, my programme throws up 1578 and 1304 ft/sec respectively for the Fiocchi and Hull loads for 6s. The velocity gap is already starting to noticeably close by the time the pellets get to the point at which they were measured. At 50 yards the gap is down to 50. Energy-wise, theoretically for pigeon the Fiocchi loses it at c73 and the Hull, c68 yards and for pheasant 54 and 49 yards. With the pattern long gone those figures are meaningless for the pigeon and with regard to pheasant the patterning characteristics of the Hull more than make up the 5 yard deficit. And the Gun isn't getting hammered into the ground while doing it.

Horses for courses.

• 1 year later...

That is a fantastic range of results.  a devotion to a task or sheer obsession.  what does surprise me is that some of the cartridges that are highly thought of tend to have lower velocities.  EG. Rottweil Tiger 1306fps as opposed to the Rio Royal at 1409fps.  And the Baikal record which was a real banger ( dependant on the case colour) pink soft, black = anti tank shell powder. at 1277fps.  A popularly thought of cartridge is the 1330fps Gamebore Black Gold
.  In a lot of cases it's all in the marketing hype and peoples perception of the best.  at the end of the day if you put the lead on the target it falls.  Good work.