Beaters' Permission

chasechicken

Hi all,

I spent the last season beating for a local shoot and, as I believe is fairly commonplace, beaters are allowed to roost shoot for the next couple of months.

My question is - whilst it is a perk in return for me beating, I think I should still offer some form of .. Appreciation.. But wonder what the rest of you do? Treat as any other permission and get something for the farmer at Christmas or just put in a full season's beating again the following season...?

They do also do a beaters day so maybe that affects it, although I believe it's fairly commonplace for beaters to give the keeper a tip on the day.

Thanks!

We all pay £20 for four Saturdays in February , each year it all goes to a different charity or somebody in need .

This year it is going to the parents of a young girl in one of the surrounding villages who have got cancer and we should be handing over around £6 to £700 . the estate don't want anything as they let it for free .

If you've got the time to get involved don't just be a season beater. Shoot the pigeons and then get involved in the rearing and then the setting up of the pens,the night shooting the dogging in and anything that goes on, on the shoot. You will get a lot out of it and the keeper will also. Don't forget you are doing the shoot a favour by turning up to beat.

Thanks guys .. I am hoping to get involved in the year round thing - however I don't want to appear too keen just yet..

Charity is a good idea actually - hadn't thought of that. The other thing of course is to ask others what they usually do .. When I bump into them. That said, it doesn't mean it's the right thing of course.

And absolutely - I am 'giving up my time' to beat, but I love getting to work the dog... So would happily pay to do it (don't tell the keeper!)

Realise your own importance! You have worked all day for what you should of been on an hour. Enjoy the roost shooting. Don't offer anything financially, but offer your time and help in the rearing season, that should get you all the shooting you need. If it doesn't you are wasting your time, and have been taken by the keeper for a fool, then you must find another shoot.