Hornady blue tip 17hmr

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just had a pretty major problem this evening with these poxy blue tipped bullets!

I'm current staring at my beloved CZ452 that has just blown up on me!! I'm thanking my lucky stars that I'm able to stare at it actually, because the explosion that happened to detonate a further 2 live rounds in the magazine has completely destroyed my rifle!

Not a happy bunny :no:

SS

I've just had a pretty major problem this evening with these poxy blue tipped bullets!

I'm current staring at my beloved CZ452 that has just blown up on me!! I'm thanking my lucky stars that I'm able to stare at it actually, because the explosion that happened to detonate a further 2 live rounds in the magazine has completely destroyed my rifle!

Not a happy bunny :no:

SS

Pics required - if only to warn others of the danger.

Was there a click-no bang beforehand? I suspect not.

This is the trouble with mass loading this particular cartridge. In small cases any deviation in the volumetric charge causes quite large changes in pressures and velocities.

A lot of us have now had the 'squib', the click-no bang, round that results in a bullet a few inches into the rifling and now this. This isn't the first time I've seen a shattered hmr picture posted though.

I wonder if this is as a result of either an under or over charge?

Either way, I'm very glad that you are uninjured and that other than losing your pride and joy, unharmed. Please keep us posted with how you get on, I for one am genuinely interested to see what the other parties say.

Lucky escape there Stealth Stalker, hope you are alright - bet that made a bang and a half.

Hopefully you get a claim in somewhere to get your rifle repaired.

As said on this thread already, I ended up moving to Winchesters and haven't had any problems and less miss fires too.