Lurchers

leon

I saw a pit bull cross in action one day, it was only 13 months old and it was deadly on foxes. it wasn't mine though, i consider lurchers a liability incase it turned on a child. the one that i saw that day went for the terrier as it came out of the hole (the terrier was black so it can't have mistaken it for a fox), it was only good luck that the handler got it of the terrier.

Ollie

going to pull ye up fella ... Where in your post does it say that lurchers are untrustworthy with kids ? from a 1st hand experience you have had :lol:?

all the best yis yp :D

I was talking about the lurcher grabbing the terrier as it came out of the hole Y.P. I'm not gonna go on about it anymore,i've admited I was maybe wrong so its over & done with.

No. Here`s what a shot rabbit looks like plinker boy :lol:

Hehe, At leasts its plinker boy and not plonker boy.

Ahh, If only my dad used his digi cam more. Him, two friends and 3 swedes, were down PP's way. In 3 or 4 days they shot 27 fallow and the odd munti. It would have been good to see all them tied up in a row. :D :yp:

Getting there slowly been to see three litters but did not like the looks of any, but I am out on friday night with a dog thats meant to be a real foxy one....we'll see!

But its just been put with a bitch so if its any good then i'll have one of that litter.

Well the experienced bitch is a mix of things but there is a lot of paterdale in her. The young dog is a jack russel and is coming on brilliant :huh: and there is currently 3 pups bred of the ole bitch and young dog.

Its all my dads work but i get to use them :huh:

ive had lurchers and even used them proffessionally to earn me a living back in the eighties.A dog can work rabbits live back to hand and take foxes and deer they dont have to kill the quarry you can do that and far more humanely.A good dog should have heart and spirit if you have to put bull blood into a cross it means your stock is not right in the first place.Courage is not a quality you should have to put into a dog via bull blood.Lets face it a good greyhound on its own will take all quarry 70lb of dog 15lb of fox no contest.Good sense,good feet,stamina,and a big heart is what you need.A clever dog with these qualities does not need one ounce of bull blood in it.The various breeds i,ve used over the years have done me proud bit make no mistake i will not make do with average .The more work with a dog you do the more you come to rely on it being sound and ready to go 7 x week if necessary.Be carefull with wat u buy and remember no one gets rid of a good dog .And if they do they certainly wouldn,t have to advertise(i mean adult dogs not pups).Bull blood in your dog is like crackink wallnuts with a sledge hammer there is far better crosses out there.An average working hill collie runs 100 miles a day , gets up after sleeping outside and does it all again day in day out.A good collie will take a fox on the lamp and lamp rabbits with no other blood in it .So come on find the right stock in the first place and you will not need to falsely inject courage into your lurchers.

Avvit

Fantastic relpy . I too have seen collie take fox and rabbit .

I do have 1 point to discuss with you. You state :- ".Lets face it a good greyhound on its own will take all quarry 70lb of dog 15lb of fox no contest "

While i do agree with you on this point , a grey wont run all day , and in my own opinion a little bit of bully does no harm what so ever in the cross .

I myself do not own a bullX , but i have a mate who runs one , and i think it's a great dog . Game as hell and will take on all quarry . The one thing against the dog is , rabbits get a bit of a ragging .

The bull gives the greyhound a fine set of jaws with plenty of holding power . The bull is not just put in for courage imo .

all the best yis yp :unsure:

At the end of the day its horses for courses.

The Bull Bloodied and the Wheaton terrier mixture bred with a decent greyhound should produce a decent durable fox killer simple as that.

If you want a Rabbiting dog then you aint going to go far wrong with a collie bloodied jobby. In what ever percentage you prefer??

YOU WOULD NOT buy a skinny whippet though these type are often used with various degrees of success.

If you fancy a bit of greyhound racing then you buy a Greyhound,lol.

But fleon if you do decide on a Bull type lurcher make sure it aint out of show stuff like in the picture :unsure:

Lurchers ? What makes a goodun,what cross shall i use?Its a big question with no right or wrong answers.But when it comes to getting across them fields remember you want a land rover not a ferrari.I,ve used many crosses over the years and my main problem in the early years was to breed a dog with good feet that could do a lot of work and stay sound.there is nothing worse than a perfect lamping night and a lame dog in the kennel.Good strong pups that are well reared is important.see if you can see the sire work.And check the bithes feet to see how smashed up she is.Also pups that look like a perfect greyhound in miniture tend to grow up to be too fine,no bone or substance.Better to go for the chunky housebrick type pup,but look for a good length of back,strong neck,nice angulation in the back legs,strong front legs that don,t toe in or out and a deep chest with a bit of width between the front legs .Then train it ,then work it ,work it work it..PS.I can help with advice on training and entering a pup so feel free to ask.Avvit.

Avvit Avvit most novice Lurcher boys like me or Lurcher girls are going to find it a triffle hard to look for all those things when choosing a 6,7 or even 8 week old pup.

Maybe to your expert eye it comes as easy as pie to spot that incredible heavy indistuctable brick??

That has a long back, strong neck and lovley angled back legs and front ones like goal posts,lol.

lets simplify things eh??

Go look at this worker to worker mating that you have been so lucky to have been given the chance of aquiring a top notch hunting partner from.

Its going to either a dog or a bitch,lol. Secondly pic one that you like the colour of as you would a car.

Thirdly pick the ****er up love it cuddle it and let it lick your face and say to the guy this one will do for me.

Because at that age you aint going to be able to pick or even tell which is going to be the Real Deal,lol. Or even the one thats going to put the most rossetes in your bag.

Like any parents of a ugly child or matter of fact any pup your going to love the thing then work it and then work it some more.

Handsome Barry :unsure:

post-13-1077910691.jpg

Avvit

Sound advice from a man in the field ! No bones about it , i picked mine from working stock . Both the dog an bitch were owned by the same fella . It was his dogs first time at lineing the bitch .

I picked up a few tips from a fella on here what to look for in a pup , and took his advice (which was the same advice you have given . Cheers fella you know who you are.)

I picked up some tips from a meet i went to last year , watched the fella's dog running and have tryed to school my pup on his advice .

Things i have learnt from my first dog ... no.1 I ain't no dog trainer , no.2 I ain't no dog trainer !

My dog has not as yet been run in "anger" was hopeing to run him this weekend , but the weather does not look like it is going to be on my side .

I will add that i have learnt a lot from my mistakes in the dogs training (the next dog will be better! ) and we are slowly , an i mean slowly correcting em !

I have to ask though avvit what X's were you running ??

all the best yis yp :unsure:

• 3 weeks later...

I run a bearded colliex greyhound.I,ts a first cross out of a working collie dog to a greyhound bitch(trackbred).The greyhound i own,the collie is a mates.The greyhound is a usefull dog on her own i lamp foxes with her regular.This is just the cross i am working at this time.I have no real preference so long as they can do the job.This is the second lurcher i have used that was bred this way.The first was an amazing dog who had to be seen to be believed.Everything came back to hand alive(except rats)she hated them.Locally the whole litter has proved itself and i have not missed a night through lameness yet.Train your dog to suit your requirements ,there is no perfect cross you just need the right dog a bit of luck and plenty of work.Getting back too handsome barrys comments a dog of good confirmation can always out do a poorly bred dog,and too pick a dog by its colour is foolhardy.It really annoys me when people mention colour NO GOOD DOG IS THE WRONG COLOUR.If a youngster goes to pick a dog age is no excuse for ignorance,he or she should still look for quality and be able to recognise faults.Don,t be afraid of walking away from a litter cos there is a lot of poorly bred rubbish out there.OH and by the way rubbish comes in all colours aswell.avvit.