Spaniel question

bazzab

Hahahaha. Now you come to mention it... fella. ..

Yiu maybe right Dazz. I've had spaniels for most of my life. Never seen that tupe before. So guess they some form of cross breed.

Thank you chaps.

a friend of mine has some springer spaniels and they are small.. Allot of people think they are cocker spaniel but they are springers..he says that a couple of his mates who have them from Simalar breeding are also small....badgercourt lines or something like that ...also a woman up road from me who picks up on a local shoot has a small full springer bitch which is the size of a cocker

I'm probably mistaken then..I should see him tomorrow as were planing on going squirel bashing so I will ask him what lines they are...he's always blabbing on about badgercourt something or other lol there definitely smaller tho..howeve I like a good strong spaniel bitch

Edited by Kev12g

I also thought badger court where bigger dogs, lot of badger court in mine and he's lab size 30kg of muscle, cracking dog. Badger court druid i think was 1 of the famous dogs

Will also depend how far back the badger court is in line, could be similar to mine but last 2 gens are modern FT breeding to small dogs.

Must admit i can hardly rell the difference size wise between a cocker and springer any more, both far to small to be practical now (in my opinion)

I also thought badger court where bigger dogs, lot of badger court in mine and he's lab size 30kg of muscle, cracking dog. Badger court druid i think was 1 of the famous dogs

Will also depend how far back the badger court is in line, could be similar to mine but last 2 gens are modern FT breeding to small dogs.

Must admit i can hardly rell the difference size wise between a cocker and springer any more, both far to small to be practical now (in my opinion)

Surely that depends on what you are using them for Pigeon, woodcock, snipe, partridge, beating they don't have to be big

But by the same token why breed them so small?

Most folk will shoot pheasants?

Many cockers and some springers are at the size that they're almost struggling to pick a big cock pheasant. Yes they'll cope but why make it harder on the dog?

A bigger can still pick small game just as well and it just makes the dogs life slightly easier when it's just a 'normal' size. Seen a few cockers really struggle on grouse as heather really rubbbing on there bellies all day, seen a few red raw after a few days.

Spaniels have been bred to there normal sizes for years but for some reason some modern FT folk think it looks quickier flashier when dogs are smaller

Edited by scotslad

It's true, you will find there are FT people that prefer smaller dogs with less colour because it makes them look flashier but according to my mate who lives for trailing the trend seems to be moving back to larger dogs, I went group training last year and there was a grown dog there that was under 12KG with a squat face like a cocker, my dog is18kg and looked huge in comparison.It would be interesting to see if they could work a full day rather than running a trial.

Samir Babbler and Saturns Spirit are smaller Springers and popular sires.

My springer dog is aroung 30kg and about the same size as my labs.

I just think it looks so much easier on the dog when it is that bit taller and has a bigger mouth. Never seen cover yet that is so tight only a small dog could get throu, esp if scent in it.

Aye i think some of the lab boys are coming round as well and trying to bred more traditional looking dogs

I prefer smaller dogs in many ways. As do a lot of friends that shoot whom keep the dog in doors year round, mine will pick just about anything I ask, ok I don't expect them to swim against the river and pick a Canada in -1 temperatures, but it's not the size of the dog to an extent its its desire that counts. Most fit dogs have the engine to go all day.

There is a trend moving back to bigger more 'original' stock, but these trends Come and go, 30 years ago no one picked up with cockers, now look at any shoot.... Chances are they were just small springers

Yes, any who look back to the photos in earlier gundog books will see the springer was once truly a "maid of all work". Quite substantially bigger than a cocker and bigger than a springer of today Also a lot more colour to them

Smaller dogs move different an look keener for it, white dogs look flashier in their work and catch the eye more. What we get by basing are breeding on trial dogs is smaller whiter springers

Yes, any who look back to the photos in earlier gundog books will see the springer was once truly a "maid of all work". Quite substantially bigger than a cocker and bigger than a springer of today Also a lot more colour to them

Smaller dogs move different an look keener for it, white dogs look flashier in their work and catch the eye more. What we get by basing are breeding on trial dogs is smaller whiter springers

Quite a movement now to old fashioned springers, can't think of the name but an Irish chap has been developing a line for some years and has excluded just about anything with any Rytex in it. I believe the very oldest of what became known as the springer were exclusively liver and white, not sure when the black and white became apparent.

When did the old fashion dogs become the new dogs?. Has anyone got a specific date?. It doesn't make sense at all. If you look at the pedigree of a so called new type it has the so called old type in it. Total nonsense in my eyes. And what person, who is serious about dog work, is bothered about the colouring on a dog?????

When did the old fashion dogs become the new dogs?. Has anyone got a specific date?. It doesn't make sense at all. If you look at the pedigree of a so called new type it has the so called old type in it. Total nonsense in my eyes. And what person, who is serious about dog work, is bothered about the colouring on a dog? ????

you use the wrong words here. A gun who needs to stay hidden from his quarry don't want a very visible dog. Ok a trial oriented owner wants the opposite and it cant do no harm in a dog meant totally for flushing, shooting dumbo reared birds that are happy to fly over guns stood bold upright in a grassy field. Is the springer no longer to be classed as "the maid of all work" ?

I pondered getting one a while back and made enquiries of a known guy. "can you find me a big springer like guys had in the 50's, with not so great an amount of white?" , The answer came "No, but if you come across such a little yourself please give me a call about them "