Spaniel question

bazzab

Correct but that fact is lost amongst a lot of people. Maybe this is the reason the ess is in the state it is in at the moment?

Not sure what you mean by the state the ESS is in?

Some trial dogs are small and not to my taste, colour bothers me not one jot, and if you want a bigger dog from trial stock you do your homework and you'll get one.

I sold an 8 month old pup last week to a local keeper looking for a "big old fashioned spaniel". Breeding of that pup... current Int FTCH x dam who again was out of current Irish FTCH x Irish FTCH.

What I absolutely don't want is a springer the size of a lab. Not because I want to compete in trials, but because that is just not, to my mind, a dog that is fit for purpose for its intended use.

Not sure what you mean by the state the ESS is in?

Some trial dogs are small and not to my taste, colour bothers me not one jot, and if you want a bigger dog from trial stock you do your homework and you'll get one.

I sold an 8 month old pup last week to a local keeper looking for a "big old fashioned spaniel". Breeding of that pup... current Int FTCH x dam who again was out of current Irish FTCH x Irish FTCH.

What I absolutely don't want is a springer the size of a lab. Not because I want to compete in trials, but because that is just not, to my mind, a dog that is fit for purpose for its intended use.

Just look at some of the stuff that people go trialling with. Shocking. I was at a novice Av a few weeks ago and the standard was absolutely terrible. I would not have wanted to own any of the ess that were there. No style,no pace,no nothing.The trial was won by a cocker

Just look at some of the stuff that people go trialling with. Shocking. I was at a novice Av a few weeks ago and the standard was absolutely terrible. I would not have wanted to own any of the ess that were there. No style,no pace,no nothing.The trial was won by a cocker

Yes but that's more to do with the people turning up than the state of the breed. Over subscribed trials and the best dogs being drawn 30 or 40 is a problem but that's life. If it's that bad first should be withheld.

When did the old fashion dogs become the new dogs?. Has anyone got a specific date?.

With any selective breeding these things take time, there is a marked contrast between the typical ESS of today compared to the 50's. As their is with cockers and Labradors. I guess ultimately it's what the market dictates.