Ronnie O'Sullivan

chrisjpainter

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You pay your money to watch him, that entitle you to do exactly that, watch HIM, and you watched him do what no other player in history has done or has the balls or status to do. People have won brand new Range Rovers for a 25 straight sequence at shooting, others have won cars, $25000 prizes for all round comps have been won by shooters, how about $150,000 for the Dubai winner :yes: and none of these events are anywhere near as globally televised or recognised.

You can knock him all you like but he has a point when you look around at the absurd sums being paid to cringe worthy celebrities and footballers who as skilled as they may be compared to a Sunday player are NOTHING compared to a O'Sullivan. He knows his game and he knows what a 147 should be worth.

The HG prize for clay shooting has stagnated at £100 for over three decades :rolleyes: , perhaps if any of our winners had had the balls to stand up and say something it would have at least gone up to £400 by now, maybe we'd even be taken a bit more seriously. If you don't respect yourself enough they'll ride you, he has sent out a clear message to future organisers to up their Maximum prize money, yes £10k is a huge sum of money to most of us but that isn't the point here.

Edited by Hamster

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/35581281

I've never been a big fan of O'Sullivan, but surely a stunt like this is bringing the game into disrepute? To deliberately turn down a 147 because £10,000 isn't enough is, I think, pretty reprehensible.

It'd be small minded to suggest a ban and a fine of £10,001 wouldn't it?

Apparently this prize money doubles like a roll over so .... he could be doing someone else a big favour.

He might be a hero to some, but he could have been a bigger hero if he won it & donated it to a charity,

£10,000 maybe SFA to him, but a life saver to some...

But that wouldn't have achieved the message he was after would it, besides how does anyone know how much anyone already donates to charridy ? The point being missed here is that 147 had already been achieved a hundred times over by dozens of people, 146 on purpose hadn't :yes: am I the only one to geddit ?

We all perceive what our trade is worth and charge accordingly, almost anyone can learn plumbing, almost anyone can learn how to serve burgers, next time my plumber asks for £50 call out before he's even decided what to charge for the rest when he gets here :whistling: I'll try and see if he could be more reasonable and charge £7 per hour or at the very least donate his call out charge to charridy. :lol::lol:

Edited by Hamster

I just watched a clip, and the pink shown was a lot easier than the black, which was very missable. In the interview afterwards, he said that the 147 was 'possibly' attainable, not 'probably'. He got possibly the highest break, but had he missed the black, that would have been doubtful. If he hadn't flippantly mentioned the bonus in the interview, no-one would be mouthing off.

+1. The guy is a complete ****. Self promotion built on arrogance. If it's not cheating the game then it's cheating the fans. He was also once playing pretty badly against Hendry something happened, I.e. in-off or foul of some sort and he just walked up to Steven shook his hand and walked out of the arena with frames left to play. Hendry just looked bewildered. The fans again were cheated buy paying for a match they didn't get to watch.

That's very unfair Trevor

You must remember Ronnie has been struggling with mental illness for many years. He couldn't cope and had a melt down that's why he left Hendry standing. If you've never suffered with Mental illness you have NO IDEA imho

It's not the first time, well it sort of isn't,

Couple of years ago he got into a position where he was on the final black for a 147,

Before playing the shot he asked the ref what the bonus for a 147 was, the ref told him there wasn't a bonus for a 147 so he decided not to pot the black,

The ref had a word and said "do it for the fans", he returned to the table and potted it.

Now people on here are saying it's not disrespectful, but in my opinion it is for the fans.... they pay the entrance fee to see good snooker and maybe, just maybe a chance to see a 147, which may be the only time they will ever see one live,

Then to have a player, any player not go through with it just because he doesn't think he is being paid enough is disrespectful.......well that's my tuppence worth anyway

:shaun:

i agree, these people are not stars without fans

With the way O'Sullivan's brain is wired, he should have gone for the 147 and taken the 10k. It might be another 5 years before he hits any sort of form again. He's unbeatable when he's on the top of his game, but quite ordinary when he goes walkabout in his head. :rolleyes:

With the way O'Sullivan's brain is wired, he should have gone for the 147 and taken the 10k. It might be another 5 years before he hits any sort of form again. He's unbeatable when he's on the top of his game, but quite ordinary when he goes walkabout in his head. :rolleyes:

I dare say the £6 million he`s won in prize money, not to mention whatever he`s made from endorsements and exhibition matches means he probably won`t be struggling in later life. As for "quite ordinary" well that`s a bit of a silly statement. There`s no doubt he`s beatable when his head isn`t in the game but a talent like his is never ordinary.

Anyway here`s the latest from the man himself.

O'Sullivan said: "I was thinking when I woke up this morning it would have been wonderful to get a maximum and give the money to charity.

"If you had told the audience I would get a 146 and do that, they would have still gone out and bought tickets.

"If someone wants to do better, here's my cue, chalk and waistcoat, go and do it."

Sums it up rather nicely imo.

It's not the first time, well it sort of isn't,

Couple of years ago he got into a position where he was on the final black for a 147,

Before playing the shot he asked the ref what the bonus for a 147 was, the ref told him there wasn't a bonus for a 147 so he decided not to pot the black,

The ref had a word and said "do it for the fans", he returned to the table and potted it.

Now people on here are saying it's not disrespectful, but in my opinion it is for the fans.... they pay the entrance fee to see good snooker and maybe, just maybe a chance to see a 147, which may be the only time they will ever see one live,

Then to have a player, any player not go through with it just because he doesn't think he is being paid enough is disrespectful.......well that's my tuppence worth anyway

:shaun:

Totally agree

I dare say the £6 million he`s won in prize money, not to mention whatever he`s made from endorsements and exhibition matches means he probably won`t be struggling in later life. As for "quite ordinary" well that`s a bit of a silly statement. There`s no doubt he`s beatable when his head isn`t in the game but a talent like his is never ordinary.

Anyway here`s the latest from the man himself.

O'Sullivan said: "I was thinking when I woke up this morning it would have been wonderful to get a maximum and give the money to charity.

"If you had told the audience I would get a 146 and do that, they would have still gone out and bought tickets.

"If someone wants to do better, here's my cue, chalk and waistcoat, go and do it."

Sums it up rather nicely imo.

I quite like that too

He was very ordinary between 2009 and 2012. :yes:;)

I'm not denying his talent - just his application of it at times.

He was very ordinary between 2009 and 2012. :yes:;)

I'm not denying his talent - just his application of it at times.

2008/2009

won the Masters

8th Premier League title

2009/2010

Number 1 ranked player 2009/2010 season.

Semi finals in the UK Championships

Runner up in the Masters

Quarter finals in the World Championships

2010/2011

10th maximum break

won the Premier League for the ninth time in 14 years

Quarter finals in the World Championships

2011/2012

won his 10th Premier League title

Won the World Championships

And I haven`t bothered mentioning smaller, lesser known titles that he won during that period. If that`s ordinary then by God I wish I was an ordinary snooker player, and I bet a lot of the pros do too. :yes:;)