protein content

darren m

chaps what would you say would be the optimum protein % for a 6.5 month lab bitch , active and slender build type?

I,ve been looking after this hyper bitch for 2 weeks while owner is away , and she's running rings round my 3 spaniels and as been a total pain in the *** .

anyway I,ve had 2 labs and 3 springer bitches ( plus collies , GSD's etc ) so I know what to expect from young dogs and would say at this age I'd be putting them on junior feed , but they are all different granted .

currently the owner is feeding the bitch on a feed I,ve never heard of called CANAGAN , it reads well on the label etc , but the protein content is 33% and I,m just wondering if I should mention this when the owner returns.

Any one use this feed , it looks expensive..

cheers

There are a lot of people who put behaviour down to the quality of the protein rather than the amount, Eden dog food is 41% protein, I had my springer on Simpsons 80/20 when he was a pup and that is 38% protein and was fine, decent protein from a known source is what a growing dog needs

agree with you all , although I found same as above , lowered the protein and dogs tended to be a little calmer.

Tried over the years better quality expensive feeds thinking I was buying the best , but after all that I now feed all 3 of mine on Dr johns silver 18% , its cheap yes , but it suits them