Springer or PCP, almost decided

Gonna Shoot a Wabbit

UD, you let me down, I had you down as an English longbow man and not a new-fangled laminate recurve bow metro-sexual type. What next, pulleys, balance weights and Lycra archery jumpsuits?

Lol, have had wheelie bows, flat bows and even crossbows.

I have a soft spot for archery.

Only have a flat bow now though@50#.

No silly Lycra though.

Don't know about you gents on here, but as soon as I see any thread with a 'PCP or Springer' I get all excited about seeing some Underdog versus Evo banter :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I was going to say, in an apocalypse situation, who would I want to hang out with... and I at first immediately think certainly Underdog, as he makes Bear Grylls look like a girl scout.... but then, I think - if I was to slightly injure myself, with a mean grimace like I've seen in the photos, would I be dispatched as to not slow the great hunter down?

:yahoo:

I'd say springer is more satisfying when you get it right, especially if you do MOST of your shooting with a rimfire, however can be a pain in the butt when you have a second rabbit awaiting being shot but having to wrestle your twanger in front of it makes it hot foot off somewhere else.

If you do get good with a springer, it is fun at some airgun clubs to take a springer along and watch as every anodised (insert garish colour here) PCP owner with a little roll up matt looks at you thinking you are an idiot, but it is usually them who is so (I'm not talking about the real talented chaps, just the amateur-spend £1000 to make you good chaps)

some spend more than a grand and it still doesn,t improve how they shoot :lol::lol: :lol: :lol:

have to say though , there is nothing better than taking a rabbit out at 40yrds with a hw80 , loved mine to bits and after spending more time with it than the wife I became pretty good with it,

the only downside with it was the lack of speed of shots in a rabbit infested area, it still killed cleanly though,

I respect UD,s view on springers and he does seem a competent springer guy but since I turned to pcp,s I,ve never looked back,

have to say this though, I thought my daystates were accurate but this Air Arms Ev2 mk4 has taken accuracy to a newer level, shooting it to 50yrds its a tack driver, mind you it should be the bloody thing stands me over £2000 and that's just so I can compete at the best level in the GP,s,

I could of had 8 hw80,s for that money , they wouldn,t have been as accurate but it would of been fun testing them all out :lol::lol: :lol:

some spend more than a grand and it still doesn,t improve how they shoot :lol::lol: :lol: :lol:

have to say though , there is nothing better than taking a rabbit out at 40yrds with a hw80 , loved mine to bits and after spending more time with it than the wife I became pretty good with it,

the only downside with it was the lack of speed of shots in a rabbit infested area, it still killed cleanly though,

I respect UD,s view on springers and he does seem a competent springer guy but since I turned to pcp,s I,ve never looked back,

have to say this though, I thought my daystates were accurate but this Air Arms Ev2 mk4 has taken accuracy to a newer level, shooting it to 50yrds its a tack driver, mind you it should be the bloody thing stands me over £2000 and that's just so I can compete at the best level in the GP,s,

I could of had 8 hw80,s for that money , they wouldn,t have been as accurate but it would of been fun testing them all out :lol::lol: :lol:

Haha, you make a good point there without meaning it - the more time you spend with your weapon, away from the wife - the better you become (must start doing that hahahaha) :-)

You are right about the satisfaction part of a springer when you have a PCP - I had a Falcon FN19 with skeleton stock in FAC (.22) and after using that for a while, I one day took out my first cheap airgun I got, a horrible Stoeger X20 - shot a bunny and then a squirrel and was happier than I had been in a long time shooting. Almost like with my PCP and my HMR that shooting had become a little 'easy' if you know what I mean.

Personally, I love having both - depends on the mood. So from now, when the old 'PCP or Springer' comes up, I'll suggest both!

Lol, Mentlemac, if I was stuck with you in the wilds I would have to carry some red wine and funny beans.

Just in case I got peckish lol ;-)

HAHAHAHA :-)

Well, I am sure I can find a good red to pair...

You will have to provide the funny beans!

Lol, have had wheelie bows, flat bows and even crossbows.

I have a soft spot for archery.

Only have a flat bow now though@50#.

No silly Lycra though.

Yep i have a soft spot too. The challenge of shooting english longbows is great. I treated myself to a 60lb self yew longbow with my 25year long service award from work last year. It is without doubt the sweetest bow to shoot i own and i have 4 to choose from. Many times i have had recurve archers watching the arrows fly when shooting at 100yds. i have met with some success too gaining Bowman classification every year the last 3 years,

perhaps this year the robin hood hat complete with pheasant tail feather can come out if i get the Master bowman classification. HA HA HA

Ey up pigeonwatchers.

I am torn between the TX200 and the BSA R10.

Cost doesn't bother me between the two as i intend to get whatever i will enjoy most.

Whilst i accept that PCP rules the roost in terms of pinpoint accuracy i do so enjoy the challenge that comes from shooting springers and a chap at atherton was kind enough to let me have a go with his tx200 (loved it).

Obviously i will make the decision based on my own preference and to be honest all the faffing with charging, cylinders, etc etc put me off PCP's.

Currently i am 70% decided to go for the AA TX200

Perhaps someone wiser than i can confirm something that was said to me at the range that you need to be careful who you allow to fill your divers tank or rifle. Apparently there are compressors that filter the air through silica and some that do not. I work with silica everyday and know all about the moisture removing qualities but didnt know that it was part of the process for some compressors and not others, can anyone advise?

thanks for reading

GSAW

hello, have you decided? no contest for me having had a R10 and it shot quite and very accurate, can pick up a air cylinder s/h for £100 12ltr if your lucky

I own both. I'd recommend that to anyone. However the choice depends on what you expect the gun to do. For hunting a multi shot pcp wins hands down every time in my experience. Its easier to shoot and offers the multi shot capability which is for me has put more game down. I've lost opportunities whilst reloading my TX.

Having said this the TX is more fun to shoot. Its a good looking gun and if your first priority is not game in the bag then Id go for a springer. Though in truth you will very likely end up buying a pcp later for hunting like I did.