Perennial game cover.....which one?

We used Bright seeds I think, some years ago. If I recall it was a mixture; either Labrador or Setter, consisting of Quinoa, Sunflowers, Dwarf Sorghum, and the stunning small lavender flower which mutates into millions of seeds called Cephelia (?) I never can remember it's name.

Anyhow, it lasted two good seasons.

Phecilla (like but still wrong)

Artichokes are dead by middle of season and like a field of canes give no shelter, but look the part early before season.

just my opinion

I'm also interested in these types of cover going to try reed canary grass as parts of my plots for nesting and against avian predators

Phecilla (like but still wrong)

Artichokes are dead by middle of season and like a field of canes give no shelter, but look the part early before season.

just my opinion

I'm also interested in these types of cover going to try reed canary grass as parts of my plots for nesting and against avian predators

As regards to artichokes you are right, but I like to ridge them so when they grackle you get warmth in the ridge bottums

Phaecelia? One of us will get there in the end!! You can't beat kale, but does sometimes look a bit leggy to me in the second season, wonder if you could broadcast something over it to thicken it up again? Miscanthus looks like it could have potential, once it's in it will grow forever if properly managed

Edited by kennett

• 2 weeks later...

We use royal MKV from brights. It's awesome. Kale, canary grass, sweet clover, red clover and cocksfoot.

Looks like it's going to be a very good mix. Only drilled it last year but has established like a dream.

A

Hi ferret ! you say royal mkv is awesome ! what was it like in the first season ????

I am asking because I am putting another cover into canary grass this year but don't want to wait two seasons for it to work well, I was thinking of sowing mustard into it at the same time but this royal mkv sounds like it could be a great alternative ???

was the cover shootable in the first season ??

thanks

Found the Royal mk 5 on the website, now am I right in thinking this will now be left as if it is a sole canary grass cover plot, or do you expect to have to over drill it with other seed to keep it going/holding birds. How long do you expect it to last.

We use royal MKV from brights. It's awesome. Kale, canary grass, sweet clover, red clover and cocksfoot.

Looks like it's going to be a very good mix. Only drilled it last year but has established like a dream.

A

On your recommendation and the pics you've posted I am in the process of ordering the MK5 for use around a couple of our woods as wind breaks. Looks the dogs.

As an aside, is it beetle proof?

Edited by Scully

This coming season it will be 2nd year kale with an understorey of the grasses and sweet clover which will go to seed. Then the next year will be grasses and sweet clover,eventually it will just become reed canary grass so will need to spray patches off so it's not too thick but other than that and topping occasionally it should last for years.

Next lot I put in I'm going to include some chicory in the mix also as when that bolts it's a huge boost for wildlife and game.

Cheers

As regards to artichokes you are right, but I like to ridge them so when they grackle you get warmth in the ridge bottums

I always thought the the main upside to the ridges was watching beaters falling **** over tit.

Cannabis sativa gives good ground cover and produces high pheasants.

Place I used to work did a test crop of Hemp (no high-inducing the chemicals but looks the part) one year. It got ravaged by all the local toe-rags who took to stealing it on mass. At least the thought of them trying to smoke it still makes me smile.