Ham Radio

Sureshott

When i used to go stalking in the highlands i always had my trusty 817D in my kit . If i got into problems i could call pretty much anyone on HF . Mobile phones are no use when you have no signal .

When i used to go stalking in the highlands i always had my trusty 817D in my kit . If i got into problems i could call pretty much anyone on HF . Mobile phones are no use when you have no signal .

not 100% sure but I think I remember reading somewhere that even with no signal you should still be able to call '999' as your phone will bounce off of any capable receiver, whether its a network one or not.

obviously there will still be deadspots, but they are few and far between in the uk nowadays...

not 100% sure but I think I remember reading somewhere that even with no signal you should still be able to call '999' as your phone will bounce off of any capable receiver, whether its a network one or not.

obviously there will still be deadspots, but they are few and far between in the uk nowadays...

You could be right brett . However with that little HF kit and 5 watts you can happly call anyone in europe .

Still it was good fun chatting with people all the way up there . Still got it somewhere so might get it out and have a blast .

There are plenty of places in Norfolk where it is still impossible to get a mobile phone signal even if you have more than phone on different network bands to try and overcome the issue.

There are plenty of places in Norfolk where it is still impossible to get a mobile phone signal even if you have more than phone on different network bands to try and overcome the issue.

Yes. But there are still blue Police boxes all over the place where you can call up a copper on a bike, and if you break down you can brew a cuppa in one of those yellow AA boxes. ;)