Statatory Rights

the pelt man

I have a Webley & Scott Semi Auto 812K

While shooting Saturday the gun failed, I took a shot and the locking block sheared. This resulted in the bolt shooting back under pressure and all the shot and wad came out sideways instead of the barrel, the cart was still crimped but blew sideways splitting and parting from the brass. Luck that I was on my own and nobody sitting to my right or could have been very nasty.

As the gun is 4 years old and only a three year warranty do you feel that a gun that cost £500 should last longer than 4-5 years.

I can't get spares for it so it would be a small claims case against Highland Outdoors, do you think I stand a chance of winning.

I wouldn't be looking for the full £500 but maybe £200 mark, what are your thoughts please ?

PELTY

Problem here is, I think, that the gun was cheap to begin with so it's expected lifespan is going to be a lot less than ,say, a Beretta semi costing 4 times the amount. A general figure(BBC3CR Consumer programme)seems to be around 20% loss per year of usage so I would say that £200 is going to be pushing it a bit.

Your only chance is if the fault can be identified as a manufacturing fault. If this can be proved, then repairs/compensation can extend beyond normal warranty period, epecially if the fault becomes a H&S issue. A manufacturing fault is generally found in a number of the products produced and you should google this in order to ascertain if others have experienced the same fault with this particular gun. We are all aware that car dealers recall cars beyond standard warranty and carry out repairs where the fault can be traced to the original manufacturing process. If your problem is a 'one off' it is going to be difficult for you to get any joy beyond the stated warranty. The seller has no way of knowing if the problem was caused by misuse etc.

Email webley and scott, a lot of manufacturers will work with you to rectify the problem rather than tarnish their reputation.

+1.

They might ask you to return the gun to them for assessment, and under the circumstances I think that would be a good idea. This could so easily have ended badly for yourself or somebody else, so if it is likely to happen again then W&S may be able to do something about it. :good:

You're out of warranty, BUT in this instance I reckon that's a product recall type of fault, so an e mail or similar (in writing) to W and S would be well in order.

Agree I´m sure they'd want to investigate anything as potentially catastrophic as this.

If that had happened to me - my trust in the gun would be undermined and I don't think I would ever feel quite the same using it again. I have a pet hate of poor quality - especially in guns - and especially when there are many decent quality things available on the used market. I hope that you get a satisfactory solution.

New locking block from chamber's £15-34 part no EC1077.

https://www.gunspares.co.uk/products/24930/Mod-812/

Andy, I have already spoken to them, this is not the correct part for the 812 K.

Chambers and Highland Outdoors (Webley & Scott) both say they are unable to get the correct part and they are no longer manufactured.

But thanks for looking :good: