Pork Belly

lord_seagrave

What a magnificent cut this is. So forgiving, so tasty.

Last night, I bunged a modest piece (c.600g) in the oven on hot for 20 minutes (having generously salted the skin first).

I made a 'stuffing' from a grated parsnip and finely diced onion, plenty of sage, caraway seeds, some roughly chopped chestnuts, and a cup of hot water.

I piled the 'stuffing' under the pork, put the lid on the dish and then turned the oven down to medium for an hour and a bit.

After this I lopped the skin off the meat and blasted it under the grill for a good ten minutes whilst the meat rested.

Delicious.

Yielding, succulent meat, and puffy, salty crackling. The 'stuffing', so liberally basted in meat juices and fat, was an absolute treat :)

Clever me.

:lol:

LS

Score the skin diagonally both ways to make 1 inch diamonds and then scald with hot water to separate them - Then it gives the fat a better chance to escape and baste the crackling bits - Best to use a Stanley blade or similar to get through the skin. One of the most underrated cuts there is and a righteous gastropub staple

love pork belly strips in the oven...then just before it comes out sprinkle soya sauce over it......and have it cold as fridge snacks with pickled red cabbage pickled onions cheese etc...............also great with homemade sweet and sour stir fry made with plum jam.....vinegar worstershire sauce and lumps of pineapple and onion......

Pork belly is a great cut of meat that has loads of flavour, great crackling and cheap. I don't eat it cold as said above it is a bit fatty. Any left over gets stir fried with 5 spice.

I don't find it that cheap to be honest, I use of for sausages and get it from morrisons. Agree about Crackling though, love the stuff but I don't feel good after eating it :no:

Edited by Lord Geordie