Calibre for wild goats and occasional deer?

Houseplant

What deer. How far? Are you planning on eating those goats? Personally I hate goat meat. If I ever shot one it would be dog meat

I am pretty sure 223 or the like could be just fine on goat but if we are talking 20 stone plus deer at over 2- 300 yards that is going underguned even for odd ones

Some just think bigger has to be better but it's not always. Without further info I should say 243 win with various bullet changes 260 Rem or 6.5 x 55 will both kill any deer on the planet at decent ranges and like the 243 have smaller bullet options suited to goat

I also like the 270 and have a lot of respect for it but may I suggest a 25-06 Remington or the 7-08 Remington they kill beyond expatiation my longest shot is with the 25-06 475 yds

Agreed, the 25-06 has a strange quality to it, I've read lots about its performance and its tendencies, in practice it's true, for some reason it's like a bolt of lightening.

It's bc and sd do strange things.

Thanks for the replies, some food for thought there and differences of opinion. I've only just got my head around .22LR versus .17HMR for rabbit shooting! Not planning on buying a centrefire anytime soon, just starting to think about what I will need.

Re: location - New Zealand, goats in the far north where I live, deer in the rest of the country.

Re: deer species and range - highly variable, but obviously, I'll work within the limitations of the calibre that I end up with and my own skills of course.

Re: goat meat - I've heard it said that when you select a domestic animal for slaughter, you don't choose the oldest and the smelliest. same applies to wild goats, kids are meant to be very good to eat, whereas old billy goats need to be left alone.

Thanks for the replies, some food for thought there and differences of opinion. I've only just got my head around .22LR versus .17HMR for rabbit shooting! Not planning on buying a centrefire anytime soon, just starting to think about what I will need.

Re: location - New Zealand, goats in the far north where I live, deer in the rest of the country.

Re: deer species and range - highly variable, but obviously, I'll work within the limitations of the calibre that I end up with and my own skills of course.

Re: goat meat - I've heard it said that when you select a domestic animal for slaughter, you don't choose the oldest and the smelliest. same applies to wild goats, kids are meant to be very good to eat, whereas old billy goats need to be left alone.

If you that close, dont suppose it'll be calibre fussy.. by the way, tell him that applies to women as well :good:

As per title. It'll primarily be a goat gun, with the very occasional deer stalking trip, maybe once a year. Just started doing some reading and trying to decide between .243 and .270. Any thoughts? Note that I'm not in the UK and don't have to suffer issues with FAC limitations. Thanks.

Just make sure the goat hasn't got 6 legs. :oops::whistling:

Hi

Pretty sure in days gone by the .222Rem was used by Government deer/goat cullers at sensible ranges........

L

It is they use horrid chemicals and such now I think goes on the plants deer eat plants n die - horrid

222 223 22-250 still popular as is 243 7-08 likewise

.243 will certainly drop Sika and reds just fine. Down to the right bullet, it will also do it at range. Ask those who tell you it won't how many they have actually shot with one

• 4 months later...

To resurrect my own thread. I've knocked down a few goats with a borrowed .270. Despite my apprehension, I can't say that recoil was an issue for me. I'm certainly leaning towards the heavier end. As they like saying here, overkill is underrated. Not sure where that came from! Even a big old billy goat falls down straight away with the .270. I can see the logic of not wanting to track down shot animals in dense bush. Also, I really only want to buy one centrefire. Thinking 6.5x55, .270 or .308 now.