Reconditioned Engine - Reccomendations

shalfordninja33

Following on from my things come in three's thread a few week ago, what I thought was a broken cam belt on the wife car has turned out to be a big end failure! It follows on the back of a new gearbox which it had to have not 12 months ago.

The car's a 2010 Renault Megane 1.5 dci.with 45k on the clock. I've had a quick look on ebay and some other parts sites, a brand new engine is over £2k, used with no history anything from £500.00 to £1,000 or £1,500.00 for a reconditioned unit with a 12 month warranty.

At the moment I'm leaning towards the recon unit, being as the car has a new gearbox, in which case I'll keep it for another few years.

If anyone has a recommendation as to where I can source a recon engine or have the current engine rebuilt I'd be grateful.

Following on from my things come in three's thread a few week ago, what I thought was a broken cam belt on the wife car has turned out to be a big end failure! It follows on the back of a new gearbox which it had to have not 12 months ago.

The car's a 2010 Renault Megane 1.5 dci.with 45k on the clock. I've had a quick look on ebay and some other parts sites, a brand new engine is over £2k, used with no history anything from £500.00 to £1,000 or £1,500.00 for a reconditioned unit with a 12 month warranty.

At the moment I'm leaning towards the recon unit, being as the car has a new gearbox, in which case I'll keep it for another few years.

If anyone has a recommendation as to where I can source a recon engine or have the current engine rebuilt I'd be grateful.

if your engine has been starting ok no smoke not using oil etc may pay to have your crank reground and new shells may work out better from memory regrind and shells about £250 then labour etc a recon engine is brought back to original spec. using new parts

Saw the garage this afternoon. It's damaged the crank and bent two rods.

The Recon units I've been quoted have a 2 year warranty, having said that a brand new unit is only about £500 more.

A fitted recon is a shade over £3k and brand new wouldn't give me much change out of £4K. I'm now considering scrapping it and seeing what the breakers will give me for it. The second hand value of a runner is about £3.5k and after the gearbox problems last years I'd rather Cut my losses and spend the money on a new car.

Saw the garage this afternoon. It's damaged the crank and bent two rods.

The Recon units I've been quoted have a 2 year warranty, having said that a brand new unit is only about £500 more.

A fitted recon is a shade over £3k and brand new wouldn't give me much change out of £4K. I'm now considering scrapping it and seeing what the breakers will give me for it. The second hand value of a runner is about £3.5k and after the gearbox problems last years I'd rather Cut my losses and spend the money on a new car.

Go and see the breakers and ask them how much to fit a used good engine, I think you'll be surprised how cheaply the job can be done

Go and see the breakers and ask them how much to fit a used good engine, I think you'll be surprised how cheaply the job can be done

I agree, at least you will know the mileage of the engine because the breaker will know what vehicle it came from and possibly even its service history.

Fitting a new engine at £4k is a non starter because a 10 plate Renault Megane simply won't be worth that investment and a recon unit is going to be risky too because for one thing it's only marginally cheaper than new and also impossible to tell what exactly has been done to the unit, there are some real nasty characters out there dealing in this sort of thing.

Thank you for your kind offer!

A friends son works for the local ford garage. They're virtually giving away nearly new fiestas on pcp plans at the moment, given that I don't have the cash for an outright purchase, I can get the wife in something reliable and buy it in three years when the term is up.

The deposit will affect my new gun budget somewhat....

Edited by shalfordninja33