Help on where to set up

FalconFN

I managed to pick up a new permission last week, only a couple of fields but the farm has 1500 acres so if I play my cards right I may get a sizable chunk of land to shoot on. I spent a couple of hours in the rain on Monday and there appeared to be one main flight line bringing pigeons over the trees into the field and a smaller one above it. Most of the pigeons flew over the field but a fair number were landing a fair way into the field (on the black dot).

post-20802-0-83076400-1456350107_thumb.jpg

I am going back tomorrow morning and would like your thoughts as to the best place to set up. My initial thought was to set up as close to the place where they appeared to land, at red dot 2, to try to decoy them closer to the tree line, but would it be better to set up at red dot 1 where the flight lines converge? The main flight line is down the center of a shallow valley and the wind will be coming from the top of the picture. Any thought appreciated.

Yes rape. Thanks Fenboy, although I think a hide in the middle of the field may be pushing it a bit as I'm very much on probation and don't want to risk it just yet. I set up last time at the tip of the small arrow (as that is where the farmer said to go - he had bails set up) so perhaps I could mention that next time I go if I blank tomorrow.

Was going to say that, be careful not to upset the new farmer, i would suggest you get a good hide well concealed( bale hide if its still there) where the flight lines cross each other.

FB is right go where they go, but the next best thing is close to a flight line .

if the wind is coming from the top of the picture then it will be crossing you from the left in the hide so the birds will land from the right, put a roof on the hide for the ones approaching from the rear/the large arrow. use a well spaced L or tick pattern short side along the front of the hide, the corner to your left as you look out the hide and tail the long side in line with the large arrow.

This will encourage the birds to turn and commit. Rotary would help and a flapper, decoys a good 12 ft apart

hope this makes sense and helps

Best of luck and stay safe

Flycoy

Was going to say that, be careful not to upset the new farmer, i would suggest you get a good hide well concealed( bale hide if its still there) where the flight lines cross each other.

FB is right go where they go, but the next best thing is close to a flight line .

if the wind is coming from the top of the picture then it will be crossing you from the left in the hide so the birds will land from the right, put a roof on the hide for the ones approaching from the rear/the large arrow. use a well spaced L or tick pattern short side along the front of the hide, the corner to your left as you look out the hide and tail the long side in line with the large arrow.

This will encourage the birds to turn and commit. Rotary would help and a flapper, decoys a good 12 ft apart

hope this makes sense and helps

Best of luck and stay safe

Flycoy

I personally never have a roof on my hides. I also never place my decoys that far apart.

Depending on wind direction I'd set up on dot 2. Can't see from that picture, but if that wood is deep enough and they are sitting on those trees, shots fired from spot 1 would only send them back deeper into the wood.

Also, depending on the height of those trees, they could just over run past your decoys in position one if they are keen to get to the centre of the field.

For me it would be in position 2, with your decoys placed randomly and slightly to the right of centre from your hide, place the magnet/s more so to the right another 10 yards further. Agree with Motty, 12 feet apart for the decoys is too much for me. Start off with decoys you have, and add to them as you shoot birds.

Put the decoys out to a comfortable distance for your shooting, and if they want to decoy they should come in for you.

The wind direction and speed is important on how you set up the decoys and distance from the hide.

Fenboy, you rebel!!

Edited by Cosd

The birds will tell you where to setup, try walking them off a few times and watch before you commit, it can all change once the gun goes off a few times.
If you cannot get them to play ball just look for the strongest line, get tucked into the hedgerow and shoot them as they flight over.

Position 2 does look a good spot if the lines are still the same but if the wind is coming from the top of picture it will be in your face, not the best situation but if its the only place you can get at them just give it a go, as Yickdaz says it all depends on the day, wind directions and flight lines.

Some movement might help, if you have got one put a magnet out and see if it pulls them, don't shoot at them, just watch and see what their reaction is to the magnet, don't get to hung up on decoy patterns, try putting about 6 or 7 dead birds out, leave room for birds to land, 6 feet apart is plenty and see what happens.

Good luck and I hope you get the rest of the ground to shot over.

I'm set up at position 2, no wind to speak of, but no birds either....

I've seen half a dozen in the last hour, all single birds and not in yhe same places, and I've fired one shot for one bird.

I'm hoping coming on the internet will make them appear, if that fails I will take a pee - that normally works.

Edited by FalconFN

That's pigeons for you, brake your heart sometimes, at least you are on the ground make sure the farmer knows you are there and willing, I guess you will do-it but get on the ground as much as possible and be seen.

You have not picked the best of days its sunny here with very little wind, but there's always the next time, good luck

I'm set up at position 2, no wind to speak of, but no birds either....

I've seen half a dozen in the last hour, all single birds and not in yhe same places, and I've fired one shot for one bird.

I'm hoping coming on the internet will make them appear, if that fails I will take a pee - that normally works.

I would have gone for position 2 as well, because round here a hide in the middle doesn't work and it's only 2 whelmarks away from the dot.

I've just had a decent day (22) in a similar situation and managed, for the 1st time this winter, to pull birds to when I wanted them to be. I have often had them come to look at my pattern but at extremes of my usufull range have drifted away. "Thanks but No Thanks", not frightened flaring off, just no thanks. By this time I am hoping they will commit so don't even get a speculative shot off.

This time I had just a magnet and no shells, adding dead birds.

There had been hundreds there for weeks, not that many came back but those that did came right in in small groups and usually lost a member.

If the pee doesn't work, they like cheese sandwiches and strong coffee.

Good luck, keep us posted!!

Just make sure it's laid out straight or Pigeon Controller will be most upset!

I dont get upset its just my OCD that kick in sometimes.

FalconFN, youve had some differing advice from the Massive , just watch the reaction to your set up and dont be scared to change it or put birds the wrong way round or approaching from a diferent direction. Just rember what works on that particular land for the future.

Edited by pigeon controller

FalconFN, youve had some differing advice from the Massive , just watch the reaction to your set up and dont be scared to change it or put birds the wrong way round or approaching from a diferent direction. Just rember what works on that particular land for the future.

Sorry don't agree with the last part of your post.

Thanks, the problem was a complete lack of birds. Where I normally shoot, the farmer has given up on rape so I haven't shot any number of pigeons since the barley and wheat stubbles were ploughed in last year, this is a new permission so still figuring out where the birds go, and they were there a few days before.

Slightly galling that in the way home (with my 1 pigeon) I saw a few hundred closeley packed in a corner of a field about 3 miles away - no idea what they were feeding on but very unlikely that the land us shootable.

Anyway, I had the best cart to kill ratio I've ever had and I saved all my carts for another day!