Thinking about a macbook

Rupert

I have had a number of windows laptops, always bought on price to surf the web,and use excel and word/powerpoint for various invoicing and bookkeeping duties for my business. They just don't seem to last or function as well as they used to.

I have a couple of friends who have moved to mac and praise the virus free longevity of the product so I am looking at changing.

Can I put my excel etc stuff on it? will it transfer without loss of content or functionality?

I should say I am better at tiling than computers.

I treated myself to a Macbook Air through work benefits scheme, no reason, I just liked the look of it, Expensive but so much better than Windows In my Opinion, Everything just works as it should, Boots up ready to use in less than 60 seconds, the OS is just nice to use, I have a Windows laptop for work and i hate it, slow cumbersome in comparasion. I am definitley an apple fan though so my opinion might be a tad biased! :)

Wifey uses a MacBook which is 10yrs old now and aside from a cracked outer which was replaced foc by Apple it has been faultless. She does take in into the local Apple store for a cleanup every couple of years and I'm sure the fact we have 9 Apple products in the family may mean better service. All of the products have been faultless and some are used extensively. Oh and I did download wife's accounts from MS Excel onto her Apple version w/o issues.

I love MacBooks - much easier to use than windows.

I find Windows quite linear in a way, every time I go back to one I end up trying touch pad commands that don't work, or finding them annoying slow etc...

I have an iMac as well as a Macbook air (11") which is the perfect size to fit in a leather zip folder/presenter and is very light so hardly notice it. Gone are the days of needing a huge laptop bag!

If you a a parent, look at the education discounts available. These are even more generous for university students.

http://www.apple.com/uk/shop/browse/campaigns/education_pricing?afid=p238|sdq2ADYIH-dt_mtid_187079nc38483_pcrid_86335654573_&cid=aos-uk-kwg-edu-slid-

Nick

That's how my wife bought hers using Uni discounts, I think 15% discount.

You can buy MS office for Mac but it's rather pricey, I prefer to use iWork's which gives all equivalent packages but at a cheaper price (Word > Pages, Excel > Numbers, PowerPoint > Keynote). All iWork's packages can export formats that can be read by MS office products but with much more usability. All existing MS office packages can be opened using the equivalent in iWork's. I regularly send word docs home from work and open in Pages to edit then send back.

You can buy MS office for Mac but it's rather pricey, I prefer to use iWork's which gives all equivalent packages but at a cheaper price (Word > Pages, Excel > Numbers, PowerPoint > Keynote). All iWork's packages can export formats that can be read by MS office products but with much more usability. All existing MS office packages can be opened using the equivalent in iWork's. I regularly send word docs home from work and open in Pages to edit then send back.

Good info thanks