Ricochet

margun

Prompted by another thread, what's people's thoughts on ricochet?

Personally I've had a few from .22lr over years and thousands of rounds but no other calibre. Understand that other high velocity, noisier calibres might mask it with sound depending on range. For example a .22-250 or .243 might totally break up on impact and dissipate quick, or may partially fragment and send a large fragment flying for some distance. Not something that I've knowingly done. Ballistic properties will affect it like angle of impact, energy, target material, load etc.

Specifically after people's experiences, knowledge on ricochet distance of different calibres, affects of different factors like soft/hard ground.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A fast,light for caliber varminting round will fragment a lot quicker.

ie 17hmr,17 rem, or 22-250 shooting sub 50gr.

A 22lr is a heavy slow lump of lead,almost like a bouncing bomb.

dave

Ps never had a ricochet off the 17hmr,17 remington,204 or 223 that I know of,but have heard the 22lr zing a few times.

Edited by plonker

I have had ricochets from even an air rifle. Anything could ricochet depending on the hardness or softness of the ground, the angle and i guess bullet type as well. I assume that a light weight ballistic tip Is less likely to ricochet than a heavy full metal jacket. We just have to hope that as long as we have a good backstop we will be alright. Anyway thats my thoughts and very basic knowledge.

Atb, supersport

Edited by 14Supersport04

I have definately had a couple of ricochets of HMR, this was into the side of a hill while zeroing so it didnt go far but even over the sound of the round I could hear the whine of the ricochet. Admittedly I have had more with .22LR, a couple being as they exit a bunnies head and you do wince but HMR is not a panacea for avoiding them.

As above, you cannot discount the hmr, or any small frangible bullet, from ricochets; they can and do happen.

Normal rules regarding safe direction and back stops apply. That's the preachy bit of of the way...

However, the tiny hmr pill is designed to fragment which it does 99% of the time on hitting a solid object, it's also the smallest of any projectile and due to its weight and coefficient, loses its energy relatively quickly.

In the 7 years of shooting it, two or three times a week, I have only heard it ricochet twice. Yes, the crack could mask the whine of a ricochet but I don't think this is the case.

Compared to my old 22lr, which tended to ricochet frequently in an evenings shooting, it is preferable. Also, a 22lr has a large, solid lead lump designed to deform and moves relatively slowly. I imagine it would carry more energy for longer when compared with the 17.

I love the little hmr, it's a great bunny getter, but I'm frustrated by the inconsistencies in the cartridge. For this reason I've just purchased a 17 hornet.

Hmr will ricochet sometimes badly

An interesting fact is a test was carried out seeing how far you could get a 22 to ricochet it was approx 600 yards in the test but don't realy on this

All guns can ricochet you consider it andake a call. In fairness there is so little extra you can give any firearm it's better not to - just shoot them all the same

Good backstop, safe backdrop!

How far would a .22 ricochet travel?

I tried to look it up but only found questions rather than proper answers.

Would it be just a few hundred yards max or is it off into the yonder somewhere? Usually a few hundred yards wouldn't matter to me but sending them off randomly at 1000yards would be much different.

Would it be just a few hundred yards max or is it off into the yonder somewhere? Usually a few hundred yards wouldn't matter to me but sending them off randomly at 1000yards would be much different.

It would be impossible to say because there are so many variables. Every shot would be different. Although it might sound dramatic it can't go that far because of the deformation of the bullet and the aerodynamics of the form. If you shoot a 22rf across a dry field with the gun horizontally parallel to the ground, the bullet will strike the ground out around 100>>150 yards away. The 22lr isn't very streamlined from the start and if a high level of its energy is taken by impacting an object then it is deformed and tumbling it ain't going to the moon anytime soon. Some geekoid must have done some research on this. Meanwhile we could just not worry about it and enjoy being out on patrol with the hound. After all I've never heard of any incident of something or someone getting hit by a ricochet. Edited by fortune

In a ricochet? Or maximum range at 33 degrees

The former was tested but can't be relied upon as 600 yards max

The latter will depend on conditions and if the round tumbles. Let's just say don't shoot it without a backstop or incredibly safe backdrop ( they can exist)

We hear 22 ricochet as it's a well mangled lump of soft unjavketed lead

Generally we don't hear ricochets in flight from jacketed bullets traveling way faster - think on that a while

I know someone that was hit by a .22 ricochet. It hurt but didn't break the skin, but I think a thick coat had something to do with that.

As I recall it was fairly close range too (sub 20yds)

I myself had a ricochet that hit an unoccupied mobile home. It broke the skin on that!

600 yrds my *** . A sub with 100 ft lbs at the muzzle . Would lose a massive ammount of that on the first impact . The remander thats left in a spinning bullet would be naff all if any 100 yrs futher on .

I know someone that was hit by a .22 ricochet. It hurt but didn't break the skin, but I think a thick coat had something to do with that.

As I recall it was fairly close range too (sub 20yds)

I myself had a ricochet that hit an unoccupied mobile home. It broke the skin on that!

There was a case years ago in Scotland I think it was Blair Atholl

Guy shot at something in a tree the 22 bounced off the tree and hit a guy picnicking in the eye and killed him I think it was a good few hundred yards away

600 yrds my *** . A sub with 100 ft lbs at the muzzle . Would lose a massive ammount of that on the first impact . The remander thats left in a spinning bullet would be naff all if any 100 yrs futher on .

It's incalculable but the tests were real and involved serious kit

All ricochets are unpredictable by thier nature

A stone can skim a long way on water

It's incalculable but the tests were real and involved serious kit

All ricochets are unpredictable by thier nature

A stone can skim a long way on water

Maybe so grasshopper . But 600 yrds ? Have you got a link to these tests? Edited by stevo