Shooting on still days,

dead-eye-dick

After the near ideall conditions of last weekend, the wind has almost completely died away down here in Kent. :lol: :yp:

Have any of you had much success shooting in still conditions, In my past experiance, birds seem to sit around and are hard to decoy in any real numbers.

Has anyone else found this ?? And if so, any tips for a good bag ?? :P:D

Early morning shooting has been best for me on still days. last week set up at 7 and waited. Pigeons came steadily for couple of hours and then stopped. 26 out of 33. Pigeon numbers have picked up a little around here ( Glos. )

Stayed until 12 ish and went fishing. saw plenty of birds on the way to the river but just laid up in trees and hedges.

Shot the same field next day same time but with fair breeze behind birds and they came steadily 7.30 til 12. Shot 52 out of 64.

Conclusion.... breeze definately helps.

Coincidently didnt use the rotary on the second day just 15 deeks from the previous day.

Seem to be more birds around now than before Xmas but so much rape around and mild weather over the last few years have given the birds far more choice of feed and it is difficult to decoy really large bags like I did in the 70,s & 80's.

Good shooting to all...... FM.