Car breackdown cover

squirrelhall

Qudico and topcashback have good cash back for the RAC and AA, I recently got RAC personal cover including home start and legal care for £56 by telling them that the AA would do for it £56 including cashback. I've never used the service so I can't comment on that aspect, but deals can be had by shopping around, doing a little research and negotiating.

I'm with Green Flag as it comes through my insurance with Direct Line. Three weeks ago I crashed my car on the A34, Green Flag were brilliant extremely efficient and helpful. The chap came inside half an hour, and knew he wouldn't be able to tow once he'd seen the damage, but arranged a full tow truck and waited there until he'd arrived, They took the car (now a write off) to the approved mechanic, which was near me. Great service, so they'r get my vote

Another vote for Green Glag, we looked around last March and they offered a good service for a fair price.

Previously we had been with the RAC but they started to take the **** with the price.

We have personal cover so can call them for any vehicle we are in.

Will still have a look around for the best deal when renewal comes in March.

Start Rescue-£56/year covers me in any vehicle anywhere in Europe recovery/breakdown-but are they any good I hear you say? - Best service I have ever had, when I broke down last year (alternator failure) they were with me within 30 minutes and must have called my mobile 5 or 6 times just to check that I was OK and to update me on the ETA of the Recovery Vehicle. Gone with them again this year and would highly recommend them :good:

I pay £39 for my car and £48 for my van. Rescue and recovery all through my Aviva insurance policies.

No idea who is doing the cover as never used them yet.

The companies like AA and RAC get you sneakily on an auto renewal contract and sting you after your cheap years cover.

Had that t shirt.

AA cover through the bank (lloyds) as part of my account.

Had to call on them twice, both times with me easily under an hour, and text messaged to let me know when they where 10 minutes out along with the name of the "AA man".

I can't fault the service, but I would probably be with another provider if it wasn't included as a benefit as part of my account, my insurance company offers a discount on Green Flag (I think) so I would probably have gone that way.

I pay £14 a month for rac cover. I've used it 3 times in 10 years after taking it out for john o groats to land end on a c90 :)

Waiting times have varied 20-90 mins but they've always got me going.

I've also got the ex on my policy as I've got small children and wouldn't like to think of them stuck on a motorway

We are with the RAC these days its so easy for some electronic system to go down, and leave you totaly broken down with no hope or repairing anything. Of course it was possible to be stranded in the old days with more basic technology, which probably was less reliable, but at least if you were compitent you could generaly get the car away these days it quite often just not happening.

Intregued to read your C90 trip i like this sort of thing, done some serious long distance stuff on bikes generaly XT600s all over the place, small bike adventures are something i always wanted to do but never done very cool well done. .

Barclays bank do top RAC cover, free wordwide travel insurance and six free VIP lounge at airports for £13.50 per month.

If you do it through a joint account it covers both of you.

RAC cover is any car you are in, even as a passenger.

Edited by daveboy

With the AA and they have been great. They do try it on at renewal time with a crazy price but 5 mins on the phone and its knocked right down.

Would never have green flag after two bad experiences. First was years ago when the wifes old car conked out, the guy came and said t the ecu was stopping the fuel pump and injectors from working. *** it had a carb on it and a mechanical fuel pump!!!

Second time was my wife got charged for recovery after her clutch cable went. The distance they would recover you from was from where the recovery truck came from, not from the distance to your home.

We are with the RAC these days its so easy for some electronic system to go down, and leave you totaly broken down with no hope or repairing anything. Of course it was possible to be stranded in the old days with more basic technology, which probably was less reliable, but at least if you were compitent you could generaly get the car away these days it quite often just not happening.

Intregued to read your C90 trip i like this sort of thing, done some serious long distance stuff on bikes generaly XT600s all over the place, small bike adventures are something i always wanted to do but never done very cool well done. .

Cheers it was the best thing I've ever done :)

I have pics if you pm me an email ;)

Back in 1987 I rode a Honda Express II from Newcastle to Saltfleet in Lincolnshire using the back roads, bike only did 23mph! :lol: Was the middle of winter too! Took me 24 hours to get my colour back :lol: