Roost shooting

airarms

I believe pigeons will favour particular woods and then particular parts of that wood and will continue to use it if left undisturbed. It usually takes a week or so for them to return in number if it's shot although last Saturday I shot 13 with my auto and returned on Sunday and got another 7 with my Hushpower. Went back today after a week and struggled to get 3 but then it has been shot comprehensively over the last few months and I don't think anyone else was about to keep them moving today.

Ye will have to take a wander about. Ye it is challenging ,after 20+ years air gunning, I have my own technique and head shots only so if I miss it wouldnt injure bird

I would shoot them in the back with an airgun. That's a very small target up there bobbing about in the breeze, but each to their own.

Edited by sitsinhedges

As a starter, wander around and look for their droppings. If you come across a large concentration then chances are thats the branches they like to roost in.

Don't sit underneath them without an umbrella though, and don't look up with your mouth open :lol:

Edited by Schmitty

Presuming they're not being shot at in the near vicinity, by far your best way of finding their preferred roost is to walk through woods at sunset. They'll all be in and settled at that time, so you'll have no problem ascertaining their preferred roosting areas because they'll get up and start flapping about. Depending on how much land you have access to and how close together the woods are it might take you a bit of time, a number of consecutive days, but it's worth spending time researching to get it right.

Then you'll notice the carpet of poop. Then you'll probably want to be there mid-afternoon to see which direction the flight line comes in from, and the trees they like to land in first before moving out to their "bedtime" trees. A lot of wooded areas will have one or a group of "arrival" trees they come to first, good to get under for roost shooting. The key is to be there early, stay unseen and just watch. Takes patience!

Pretty much as everyone has said already but it might be worth noting that when it get really cold the birds will favour heavier cover such as Ivy covered trees or will roost lower down in stronger wind. With an Air Rifle you might be better off looking for a "sitty" type tree where birds tend to land and survey the roosting wood before actually moving into the denser roost area - if you can loft a couple of decoys in such a tree you could do well.

Edited by bruno22rf