Stand or sit

Caravanman

Sit, generally. Smaller hide, rest the gun butt on the ground and hang the cartridge bag on the centre hide pole. This takes body weight off of legs. Less stressful over a whole day in the heat of the summer. Because I am not standing and scanning the sky for birds I tend to be more focused on the pattern and the kill to cartridge ratio is higher.

Sit, generally. Smaller hide, rest the gun butt on the ground and hang the cartridge bag on the centre hide pole. This takes body weight off of legs. Less stressful over a whole day in the heat of the summer. Because I am not standing and scanning the sky for birds I tend to be more focused on the pattern and the kill to cartridge ratio is higher.

I think you will miss out on a lot of chances by focusing just on the pattern.

I stand to shoot most of the time. I may well take a few overhead pigeons whilst sitting.

Either . Depends if a birds presents itself as a sporting target i will take it . Whether im sitting or standing makes no odds to me .

It should not matter imo if you feel comfitable with the shot take it .

I usually do OK pigeon shooting.........I have two particular spots which work well.............I stand near trunk of a tree among a line of trees at the edge of a wood, where there is also a 5'-0" high 'hedge' in front of me, so I'm effectively screened from in front and above...........I take a fold up fishing stool with me and once the decoys are in place, I sit back and wait for the birds to show............standing up slowly by the trunk when I'm about to shoot.

It's handy a spot because I don't have to take a hide with me, or do I need to construct one; plus I can get at the birds coming from behind and overhead, or from any angle out front.............If they happen to land in the tree above me, I rarely fire because they are too close and its messy.

It's also good for low shots as the hedge has convenient gaps either side of where I stand.

The other spot is a deep ditch, about 7'-0" on one 'bank' and 2'-0" on the other.......the two field levels are about 5'-0" difference............So, I place half of the decoys on the higher field; and half on the lower one.........Then I sit on the low bank edge and wait............From the high side, they are 'straight down the barrel' shots and behind they are crossing or going away; turning to come back into the wind.