Semi auto

paul041075

Been looking at semi autos, been offered a remington 11-87 with 4 chokes for about £275.

Heard mixed reviews, also been offered from a dealer who said stay away from the remi a stoeger m3000 fro £400 brand new.

So a nice shiny new gun with a guarantee or second hand one where I could end spending something on it and then both working out at the same price.

Undecided.com

The Remington 1187 and its 1100 forbear are fantastic guns they are nice handling and tend to be a decent enough fit for most normal sized and shaped people .

They seem to have been going through the mincer a little this past few years the haters realy like to hate on them, and for no good reason they are very good.

The stoger is an el cheapo Turkish knock off of the Benelli inertia guns, it may work some do aparently but if you want an inertia gun buy a browning new A5 or a proper benelli, but if i were you and you like the 1187 i would buy that they are not a bad gun in fact they are fantastic.

Esp. if you have tbe Jerry Kunhausen? book on the Remington series.

Not much to go wrong IF you look after them.

Saw an 11-87 for sale last year. Listed as having the "known receiver crack".

Looked into this "known" fault. Yes, if you don't replace the $8 action spring every 10, 000 shots, the bolt will recoil too much/too hard & crack the receiver!

Great guns IF looked after correctly.

Good point gingercat , the a390 and al390 is more cartridge friendly than the older non compensated 303,302 etc, The 390 will run down to 24gram maybe less, as long as you don't forget to put the spring in the forend when you put it back together l;)

391 urika has got to be the carlsberg of all auto, the sx3 is another and will be steel proof.

However my old 303 field deluxe I'd my main clay buster

Edited by sishyplops

Auto's generally are a pain in my side. I've had some i absolutely loved but others got shot out of the door pretty quick.

The best: Beretta Beretta AL 391 Urika 2 ( mine was a 20 bore) , Beretta Al391 Teknys Sporter, Benelli Rafaello ( the older model not the Powerbore). I had a Beretta 303 for 5 years and should never have parted with it. But No1 for me was a Browning 2000 pics below:

Pics from a few years back:

2000a.jpg

2000b.jpg

2000c.jpg

I was going to post something about the ****tiest auto's out there but we haven't got the space here have we?

This is my latest and it is the greatest! :):good:

6665a.jpg

Wow I never had one problem with my Remington's I've owned models from 11-48,1100 and one 11-87 and not one hiccup. As a matter of fact I want a new shotgun and looking at 1100's and 11-87 now.

I had 1100s and 1187s from my first skeet in 1973 as a kid through a half dozen others including a brand new 1187 in 1992 which i kept for 12 years and many thousands of trouble free rounds, most of these rounds were obviously clay and pigeon loads but quite a few blue dot reloads too.

I had a few things develop over time on some of the more abused examples i owned, the tiny circlip on the mag latch wears eventualy and can be a pain if you dont keep an eye on it. But other than basic cleaning with the ocasional o ring they tend to go on almost forever .

The Remingtoms are not at all bad and i think the versamax is a fantastic gun, i once shot one and it was a super soft recoiler and i will stick my neck out and say softer than an sx3 or a maxus. I liked that versamax and if one comes my way at half tidy money i will buy it.

I think Remington are doing ok the finish on the basic models like the express is not as refined as say an older wingmaster or 1100 but its acceptable for a base model work horse.