14 bore cartridge

I'm looking at an I.C.I. Shooter's Year Book (a pocket diary) from 1930.

In the table of Bores of Guns the 14 bore is described as having a Minimum Card Wad Diameter of 0.704 inches and a Usual Case Length of two-and -a-half inches.

In the table of Standard Loads it shows the 14 bore cartridge as being loaded with 31 grains of Smokeless Diamond, E.C. or Empire 33-grain powder; with 38 grains of Schultze or Amberite 42-grain powder; or with two and three-quarter drachms of black powder. Shot load in each case is 1 ounce.

Interestingly, there are also details of a three-inch 16 bore, a two-and-a-half inch 24 bore, and a two-and-a-half inch 32 bore.

I've seen a riot cartridge and it had things on it that made it different to normal cartridges so that they couldn't be used in other guns or the other way round. Like a difference to the base like a groove into which a pin out of the breech fitted so it couldn't take a normal cartridge because the pin would hold the case away from the face of the breech. and a step in diameter of the tube.

Edited by fortune

• 4 years later...
22 hours ago, Kemo said:

hello i have a 14 bore holland and holland we are trying to find any and all information about reloading this cartridge  if anyone has any info please let me know

The only hammerless 14 bore that I`ve seen was a Holland & Holland Royal originally built for a North Yorkshire gunsmith.It had been subsequently sleeved to 16 bore,perhaps as cartridges became difficult to source for 14b.

Edited by matone
addition