Dsc level 1

Perazzisc3

The DSC-1 manual has all the Q&A's if my memory serves me but I used the DSCTraing.org website. You pay £10 per month to access the question bank but it also has the answers, well worth £10 imo, I could easily have passed the written assessment before even starting the course as I'd practiced them.

I know you would rather not spend any money but if you have learnt the answers before going on the course there will be less stress on you when you have to take the exam plus will let you relax a bit & enjoy the course.

I'm not sure where you're dong your course, I done mine at Chippenham & it's the best course I've done, I really enjoyed mine.

If you really don't want to use the website I'll lend you my manual as long as you send it back to me as its good to refresh my memory with now & again.

BW

Craig.

The DSC-1 manual has all the Q&A's if my memory serves me but I used the DSCTraing.org website. You pay £10 per month to access the question bank but it also has the answers, well worth £10 imo, I could easily have passed the written assessment before even starting the course as I'd practiced them.

I know you would rather not spend any money but if you have learnt the answers before going on the course there will be less stress on you when you have to take the exam plus will let you relax a bit & enjoy the course.

I'm not sure where you're dong your course, I done mine at Chippenham & it's the best course I've done, I really enjoyed mine.

If you really don't want to use the website I'll lend you my manual as long as you send it back to me as its good to refresh my memory with now & again.

BW

Craig.

Good website, you only need it for a month. £10 is a small amount to pay for the investment in knowledge - the id section is particularly good with both instructional slides and blind tests.

• 2 months later...

Hi guys correct me if I'm wrong (as I have only just started to look at doing the course) don't you get given the book when you sign up to take the course? Or is everyone here saying that it's better to bone up before incase there's not much time between registration and the course? 🤔

• 2 weeks later...

I see the DSC being mandatory in years to come, but frankly the above just shows it up for the joke it is.

You don't even need a FAC to do the course, go spend a few days and £300 and you have a piece of paper that in many eyes stands for more than a lifetime of experience actually doing the job!

I see the DSC being mandatory in years to come, but frankly the above just shows it up for the joke it is.

You don't even need a FAC to do the course, go spend a few days and £300 and you have a piece of paper that in many eyes stands for more than a lifetime of experience actually doing the job!

Well said, as it stands now, is just another money making machine for some people and organizations.

Nothing can replace the experience you get in the field, but i had to do it in order to get the land i'm stalking on.

Didn't took the course though, learned from home , paid £160 and sat the exam and the shooting. Passed first time, no problem.

I just took mine having never shot a deer but hoping to book a stalk in the near future.

I have had shotguns for 44 years and want to try stalking so took DSC1 as a minimum threshold of basic knowledge before even venturing out with a guide.

Have to say 4 day with a family steeped in deer management helped get through the material but the extra knowledge chucked in almost every 5 minutes was a bonus.

Our shooting took place surrounded by deer in the deer park managed by the family and now I have someone I can asked questions of if I need to.

I hope it will serve me well and I feel a lot better prepared to book my first stalk rather than being completely green.

I know mandatory courses are a pain for experienced folks but it suits me.

That goes for a lot of things now.as long as you have the right paperwork you can do anything,experience doesn't seem to count for much these days,especially in the building game

Its just another trap that the orgs have led us sheep into. they thought that it was a good idea and a bit of a money cow so suddenly it has been sort of instilled that if you have got a dsc1 you are sort of qualified and responsible. just like the trade people that pay into the guild of master craftsmen. £25 quid and there you go bosh bash give us yer money. It's sort of like a tyre kickers license. ok all knowledge is useful but it ain't the same as actually doing it out in the field.

Suppose it's like a driving test. You pass but it will not make you a good a good driver.

And I bet the final cost is allot more than doing your DSC1.

I did my DSC1 not long ago and there were some chaps there that would need a month on the course. With one chap there taking the shooting test with a scope loose, covering the target with earth he was shooting that low. Yet he claimed to be shooting the enemy at silly ranges white on duty with every cal ever made. And passed every food hygiene course there was from level 1 to 50.

A complete Walt and numpty of the highest, incedently he failed all sections and had a pop at me for taking the P,. Couldn't understand why... lol

So maybe it's a good thing that some folk "do" take these courses.

We don't unfortunately all land on the planet knowing it all.

Suppose it's like a driving test. You pass but it will not make you a good a good driver.

And I bet the final cost is allot more than doing your DSC1.

I did my DSC1 not long ago and there were some chaps there that would need a month on the course. With one chap there taking the shooting test with a scope loose, covering the target with earth he was shooting that low. Yet he claimed to be shooting the enemy at silly ranges white on duty with every cal ever made. And passed every food hygiene course there was from level 1 to 50.

A complete Walt and numpty of the highest, incedently he failed all sections and had a pop at me for taking the P,. Couldn't understand why... lol

So maybe it's a good thing that some folk "do" take these courses.

We don't unfortunately all land on the planet knowing it all.

Dougy

can i ask where you done the dsc1 and did you feel the service they provided was adequate as i am looking at doing it.

atb7diaw

I'd rather someone took DSC1 than went out and just tried to shoot a few deer it's not perfect but better than nothing. Did mine after 20 years of stalking and still learnt stuff, there's always more to learn.

I have no issue with that, but look at the other side.

A Gamekeeper who has culled 100 deer a year for the last 40 years on various top estates cant shoot on FC land, yet a complete novice who sat a course for a week and has no experience can!

It is **** covering gone mad!

:good:

Dougy

can i ask where you done the dsc1 and did you feel the service they provided was adequate as i am looking at doing it.

atb7diaw

Donnington, the food was excellent, and I passed so I can't complain really.

My shooting test was naff really, the groups were bob on 1/2 inches but all on the edge of the kill zone, but the 20 mph wind didn't do me any favours. At least I was on the paper.

FOX SNARING EXAM!! Really.

"This is a snare", >>questioning reply,>> This is a snare. >> Reposte, yes this is a ******* snare.

Compulsory now in scotland, and u need ur ticket to get ur snare ID number. All snares have to be tagged and numbered now. Plus cost's 20 quid to register ur number with polis too, can't mind how long it lasts for

Would not surprise me if that comes down south in next few years either

Training is never a bad thing as u will never know it all and everyday is a school day.

The problem comes where pencil pushers or the indivdual thinks that a piece of paper means more than it really does, and by the same token just because u have done something for a long time and are experienced dosn't mean u've not been doing it wrong for years or atleast ur technique could be improved.

Really more about ur atatuide and being open to new ideas or listening/learning from folk that no more than u do