What sort of distances to expect from an air pistol ??

BADGER.BRAD

Hello,

What sort of distances are shot in Air pistol (.177) Target shooting ? What could I expect from an average Gun and average shooter (Aka rubbish shooter) I've just brought a cheap pistol for a bit of target shooting in my workshop but wondered what a 6lb pistol could do.

Cheers all.

I'm using a break barrel SMK £35 quid job so super cheap at 5 meters (one end of workshop to the other) hitting the outline of a £1 coin and breaking a collection of Steps/Jason Donavan,Spice Girls and leonna Lewis Cd's I found the other day so at least I'm doing a service to music with it !!

I just got a 22 SMK and it is a bit disappointing.

I have reworked the gun and now have it tin can happy beyond 12 yards.

That has involved alot of trigger work, polished cylinder, decreased the transfer port from 4mm down to 2.5mm and improve the barrel lock up.

I was told it was above5ft/lb.

No way is it and is only good with light pellets. It is the Smk32 and I can not recommend it.

The only mod left is to see what can be done to increase volume.

My smk xs26 is easily 5 ftlbs and accurate enough to 20 yards on tin cans with zero work and no fettling whatsoever. It cost 50 quid.

At 10 yards it will shoot accurately enough for most plinker but is not a match pistol nor will it ever be.

Reminds me a lot of the bsa scorpion pistol.

It was the GAT when I had one..............a spud gun would do a better job.

Spud gun............They are air powered (or caps would do the really small derringer version)................I wonder if they will have to be licenced.

It was the GAT when I had one..............a spud gun would do a better job.

Spud gun............They are air powered (or caps would do the really small derringer version)................I wonder if they will have to be licenced.

Absolutely, and not only that but the spuds would have to be passed by the EU to make sure that they are fit for purpose.

I've got a cheap CO2 powered Crossman .177 '357 Magnum' lookalike revolver, and it's reasonably accurate for plinking at 10 yards. It will hit objects at further distances, but the results are a bit haphazard. It could very well be my fault, though. :rolleyes: It puts out just over 2 fpe, which is about average.

I also have a .22 Crossman 2240, also CO2 powered, and this puts out 5.5 fpe, so it is reasonably effective at further distances e.g., 20 - 25 yards for 'tin can' accuracy.

My smk xs26 is easily 5 ftlbs and accurate enough to 20 yards on tin cans with zero work and no fettling whatsoever. It cost 50 quid.

At 10 yards it will shoot accurately enough for most plinker but is not a match pistol nor will it ever be.

Reminds me a lot of the bsa scorpion pistol.

Wish I bought one them myself now.

Oh well.

Hello,

What sort of distances are shot in Air pistol (.177) Target shooting ? What could I expect from an average Gun and average shooter (Aka rubbish shooter) I've just brought a cheap pistol for a bit of target shooting in my workshop but wondered what a 6lb pistol could do.

Cheers all.

2-4ft lb is most common, very few make it to the legal max of 6ft lb.

It will depend if you buy an average target pistol or plinker, which pellets you use and your ability, but don't expect miracles.

:good:

give me the old GNAT anytime :lol::lol: :lol: :lol:

It was a Gat and I still have one ! I also 'blew' a Diana up by putting a new spring and a section of the old spring in, I used a sash cramp to squeeze it all together, first shot the barrel blew out. It lays in the Liverpool to Leeds canal, or did !

Edited by Westley

It was a Gat and I still have one ! I also 'blew' a Diana up by putting a new spring and a section of the old spring in, I used a sash cramp to squeeze it all together, first shot the barrel blew out. It lays in the Liverpool to Leeds canal, or did !

Lol.

I got a Diana given me in bits at 12 years old. It was mine if I could fix it and fix it I did :-)