Rib cam anyone?

buze

I know of these tiny cameras, about 8mm wide 'bullet' kind; I've been wondering if anyone use these to mount on the rib, to record shoots.. I'd be happy having a wire alongside to the recorder...

The idea would be to do a 'post mortem' after a shoot and check what went wrong, without relying on 'seeing' (or not, as the case might be) the shot trail...

OK well,yes it can be done it has been done varying levels of success and no it hasn't caught on at the top or bottom end of shooting

Action camera (go pro) field of view is too wide CCTV camera frame rate too low 100fps minimum

Oh and the recoil knackers cheap sensors and mounts shift all these issues can be over come but it takes time and money if you are really interested then PM me

I'm definitely interested. I'm one of the engineer who worked on stuff like the chest-cam worn by the referee in rugby, and quite a few other sport related camera projects. Even did a prototype helmet cam for the NASCAR drivers a couple years ago. PM on the way :-)

Barrel cams always come out really shaky. Not worth the hassle as there really isn't any tangible benefit in terms of distance over a headcam.

I would disagree with both of those statements....... But the right tech is expensive and such a limited market that I doubt it will ever be designed specifically for shooting, it may be designed for another use and then be adapted for shooting

• 3 weeks later...

Have just mounted a B Square 11" piccatinny rail on the rib of my Browning BPS, The design allows a clear view of the bead along a channel in the rail. I have mounted a dot sight but see no reason why a camera could not be mounted. It is a solid bit of kit and I will test for shock problems this weekend

(pics in pump club)

Edited by impala59

The difficulty is the type of lens they use (fish-eye) does not lend themselves to picking up small fast moving targets (i.e. clays) at a distance. I've been using a Contour action camera for a few years now, mainly for practical shotgun comps which are up close with big static targets. I've used it for clays before but they don't get picked up well. The other thing if you're trying to use it to analysis shots you need to follow the clay/debris well through the shot, rather than bringing the gun down straight away to reload/line up the next clay.

Go pros are weird they work not bad on a motorbike but shooting a right anoying thing they are.

I have a replay (480 ) it is small light and clips on the peak of a base ball cap no problem you forget its there.

If you could make/ develop something the size of the replay with its lens (no weird fish eye like go pros) and in a more practical 1080 i would buy one.

The 480 x720 x1080 replay model is a monster, but the 480 replay is sound apart from the 480p.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I would disagree with both of those statements....... But the right tech is expensive and such a limited market that I doubt it will ever be designed specifically for shooting, it may be designed for another use and then be adapted for shooting

Thats not so much the issue, the problem is that you will end up with loads of footage that you won't use but have to watch anyway in order to make the cut for editing. Try it sometime you will get a major headache. Also you miss out on all the other stuff you can do with a headcam. Show some equipment, have a conversation etc etc. With action cams the zoom is limited to the extent that whether you mount it on the end of the barrel or your head makes virtually no difference in the images of the bird captured.

• 2 weeks later...

Should be for $695 dollars + shipping.

no doubt its a chunk of money, a modest discount is available for NRA members. I don't believe anything else offers the same features, real time viewing, wifi to your phone for example, when I get to grips with it I have a few friends already wanting to rent it for curiosity and problem solving.

I am already sharing video with My wifes coach and getting feed back from him. The true cost will only become apparent when I sell but I am happy with it so far.

• 2 weeks later...

no doubt its a chunk of money, a modest discount is available for NRA members. I don't believe anything else offers the same features, real time viewing, wifi to your phone for example, when I get to grips with it I have a few friends already wanting to rent it for curiosity and problem solving.

I am already sharing video with My wifes coach and getting feed back from him. The true cost will only become apparent when I sell but I am happy with it so far.

Do you have samples of /your/ camera? The website's video is all impressive, but well... marketing....

Do you have samples of /your/ camera? The website's video is all impressive, but well... marketing....

I have some vids on drop box, they are not great due to me not following the set up instructions to the letter, the reticule is way too high, I don't know how to share dropbox on here, I have only had it out once due to holidays and commitments but I do like it, view in real time via wifi on the day, review in slow mo in seconds on your fone or watch on the laptop in the clubhouse. Its does a lot and it will take a bit to get the most out of it but I do like it.Will be hireing it out to friends in the near future.