Shooting near Solar Panel fields

jam1e

In short, one of my permissions has around 600 plus acres. It's great as it's a mixture of allsorts, various crops and small woods, with allsorts of quarry to shoot, and beautiful wildlife to see.

He did say a while ago, that he was having some solar panels installed on some of his ground. And due to poor health I've not been there for a while. But I visited last week, to be greeted to well over 100 acres or so of panels! O.K, I was ****** off, but I can't complain, as it's his land to do as he pleases.....

The bit that bothers me, is the "Site Boss" has apparently told him that "a gun can't be used within 500 meters from the "Solar panels" Which sounds like bull to me. Unless the farmer is confused, and the "Site Boss" means 500 yards while shooting quarry that is in front of the panels. If a deer is shot even at 200 yards away, and I totally miss the deer. Surely the trajectory would mean the the bullet would hit the ground way before the panel?? Maybe they're thinking of ricochets??

I've told the farmer that I could not see any issue with firing a rifle or shotgun some 20-30 yards from the panels, as long as I was shooting away from them. Albeit, I obviously told him I would abide by his rules.

Some constructive opinions what be helpful?

if your shooting off sticks n downwards you,l hit the ground long b4 his panels,also top distance for shotgun pellets 250/300 yds so it sounds like site boss is just being overprotective of his toys.Trouble is if farmer believes him over you then you,l have to be careful or on the word of said boss youl be looking elsewhere for a perm

Try and talk to the said site boss and see if he can clear thinks up and take notes like how far shot can travel of cretin websites and how bullets drop over distant and so of then see where you are and try and meet in the middle or slightly closer to said site managers outcome

Thanks for the replies folks, it did sound like bull to me. I'll try and find the site boss....

Rightly or wrongly, another point pee'd me off to be honest. According to the farmer owner their were 70+ workers on site, hence me telling the farmer I'd leave his farm until all works were complete at the end of March. So the boss says..... The farm owner said he agreed with me, and added, especially as all the workers were "Eastern European's, and at times hard to communicate with" All those workers, and not one English person. I felt well deflated when I left.....

Try and talk to the said site boss and see if he can clear thinks up and take notes like how far shot can travel of cretin websites and how bullets drop over distant and so of then see where you are and try and meet in the middle or slightly closer to said site managers outcome

Of course on the flip side of the coin, why should those involved in the site, be that the farmer or the site developer, care about shooting interests when theoretical damage is possible to their extremely expensive investment.

If I was to have one on my farm I would not hesitate in refusing shotgun shooting within 500 yards and probably double that with a rifle.

With installation costs in the realms of £300,000 per acre and a farm rental income of £1000 per acre any risk from shooting, no matter how small, is just not worth it.

I'm afraid someone's hobby is way down the list of importance.

Edited by CharlieT

If I was to have one on my farm I would not hesitate in refusing shotgun shooting within 500 yards and probably double that with a rifle.

I think 500 yards is a bit far for bird shot as it can only go 210 to 300 yards at most for common sizes and even then outside 100 yards, no different than hail hitting panels and steel would be even less

No. 2 - 330 yards

No. 4 - 286 yards

No. 6 - 242 yards

No. 7 1/2- 209 yards

No. 8 - 198 yards

Of course on the flip side of the coin, why should those involved in the site, be that the farmer or the site developer, care about shooting interests when theoretical damage is possible to their extremely expensive investment.

With installation costs in the realms of £300,000 per acre and a farm rental income of £1000 per acre any risk from shooting, no matter how small, is just not worth it.

that is true the whole money object changes things. But like all things of value and when a market opens up for them what's going to protect them from the light finger brigades. There are one localy to me no security no fence and so on its only a matter of time of big theft of the solar panels. After all live substations have had the copper wires taken and that was a six thousand pound a ton for scrap metal so 300 grand for an acre it's going to happen

I have got a 72 acre field of panels on one of the farms I go on , and there is no way I would jeopardise my permission by shooting any where towards it , at the end of the day installing them is a vast investment and I have never been told I cant shoot near them but surely its all down to common sense , is a few shots at Pigeons or whatever worth risking losing what you have worked hard to get ?

I think 500 yards is a bit far for bird shot as it can only go 210 to 300 yards at most for common sizes and even then outside 100 yards, no different than hail hitting panels and steel would be even less

No. 2 - 330 yards

No. 4 - 286 yards

No. 6 - 242 yards

No. 7 1/2- 209 yards

No. 8 - 198 yards

It's called room for error.

There are one localy to me no security no fence and so on its only a matter of time of big theft of the solar panels.

The first array of three on my farm is now up and running. Although there is a fence and CCTV, I was thinking along those lines. That is, until I was out lamping one night (close by but shooting away from) and switched on the IFR - the place lit up like a 25 acre Wembley stadium.

Again thanks for the replies folks.

As I told him, I will keep a safe distance away, and certainly not shoot in the direction of the panels. As you say, it's not worth losing your permission, especially when they are hard to come bye!

This is pretty much how it is. You could end up with a situation where "something" damaged one or more of the panels. Nothing to do with you, but if it is going to cost a load of money to repair and loss of revenue you might end up getting the blame for It irrigardless. Got good insurance?