Popped my cherry, but I have questions.

My first attempt from my 'new' Lee Loader, actually looks OK.

I do have a query though (actually this'll turn into a few I suspect) of you more experienced 'Loaders:

I was working in the garage and the temperature was low - about 5~6c (roller doors don't keep in the heat very well).

In *some* instances: After I poured in the powder I tapped the wall then dropped in the head and tapped it down. When I removed the finished round, there was some powder on the outside. In one case so much that I'll only use it to make the rifle go bang (I'll start the hunt for a kinetic extractor soon).

I'm using Hornady cases that have only been fired once, from my rifle.

What would case this?

Condensation?

Incorrect alignment (pretty unlikely)

I fitted the primers as a batch run, so sat the cases in the extractor and then placed the large tube over the top. Do I need to make it more 'snug'? The end products are the correct length, btw.

I loaded another case with powder and then looked inside (no spillage this time) and found there looks to be plenty of room for the head (not excessive, but enough)

I'm using 37g of H414 with a Hornady 50g V-Max head, with CCI large rifle primers.

I've primed 20, but stopped filling at 10 as I'm not happy with the spillage.

I'll hose the tube out with brake cleaner to ensure there is no grease or muck in there, just to be sure, but I doubt this is the case.

I washed my hands before starting and defo wasn't sweaty.

As always: all info/advice gratefully received.

post-14972-0-45010400-1457247292_thumb.jpg

Edited by Alpha Mule

Are you pouring the powder straight into the funnel/tapered end of the loader as is shown on the instruction booklet. If you are then don't bother, prime your brass as shown then remove the primed brass from the loader body and fill with powder using a proper funnel then place the loader tube back over the case and place the bullet in as per instructions. I'm over your way this afternoon evening if you want me to pop in and have a quick look for you. If you want me to just PM me your number.

Static can make powder "stick" to surfaces, too.

Get a proper funnel, as above. Lee do a "universal" one that simplifies this.

As for the bullets=heads debate, it might seem petty but the "head" is the opposite end of the round from the bullet, hence "head stamp" (where the manufacturer's writing is.)

If "head" is used interchangeably with "bullet" then is case-head separation either:

A: the desired result of firing a rifle?

B: a result of dangerous over-pressure?

Especially with spherical or ball type powders as is h414.

As Kent say but also a retarded ignition can happen too where partial ignition pops the bullet out then flame goes out then reignites only now the bullet itself is an obstruction!.

Near full case capacity with ball powders chum.

I always put the primed case in the die and tap flush with plastic hammer, then pour powder in to die/ case then drop bullet into die, place die on deprimer base and drive bullet home with the rod and hammer, I have had powder spillage when the case wasn`t flush in the die, since I started tapping them in flush, no powder spillage and never had a primer go bang either, I do use a funnel to put powder in, never thought of charging the case before putting bullet in.

Edited by malantone