First Impressions of the .17 HMR

NickB65

Well after a little thought I found the ideal .17 hmr at my local gun store and after a little banter walked out with a second hand but mint CZ 452 .17HMR with a nice Hawke 4-12x50 scope, case and a cleaning pull-through.

I stripped the rifle down and gave it a good clean but to be honest if the rifle had shot 100 rounds then that was pushing it as it was mint. Last Sunday I spent the morning trying to find at the pigeons the farmer was on about but luckily for him but not me they were all up on the hill away from our land..... so time to zero the rifle.

Given it was a new calibre to both the farmer and I he had to join in and we set-up the initial target at 50m. Ten shots to zero it in and the pushed the target back to 100m and shot another 10. The trigger is heavy and there is some movement which we both found pulled the shots tot he right. Placed some old beetroots at 50m, 75m and 100m as it was easier to see the impacts on these than walk 100m every time...... I have to say if you have some old Beetroots they make amazing targets and the effect of the .17 hmr are quite spectacular.

After I was happy with the set-up I took the gun for a walk around the fields. The first target was a large fat rabbit sat in the middle of the field having a good old clean. The first shot pulled slightly to the right and I blamed myself for this and the rabbit sat bolt upright and then went back to cleaning itself. I expected the sound to scare him away but just the opposite. The second shot was to the head and he dropped. I paced the shot at around 80m so pleased. The second and third were rabbits along a hedgerow darting in from the field and then pausing at the burrow entrance to have a look see.... big mistake. The second was paced at 100m while the third was a little over 110m but this one was a chest shot.

THOUGHTS.....

1. Tis a lot noisier than the .22 LR

2. But the rabbits do not seem to care / mind or notice

3. FLAT - from around 40m to 120m (have not tried it further) it is flat shooting which takes some getting used to.

4. TRIGGER - heavy and loose

5. WEIGHT - I have the Varmint barrel and yes it is heavy but well balanced in the 16" form. A nice sling and a bi-pod and we will be sorted......

6. PRICE - The ammo is not cheap so your attitude to plinking is different. With the .22LR I sued to plink away to my hearts content but the .17 hmr is not cheap so I think I will keep the plinking to a minimum and only for when the rifle or I need to re-zero.

Over all I am well pleased and looking forward to some evenings hunting.

Nice write-up. Must admit I'm tempted. Only downside for me is the noise, especially in terms of bothering neighbours.

I have a CZ 452 .22LR. I'm no expert, but the trigger is pretty heavy and I have found that some of my shots go off to the right because of this as well.

Rimfire Magic kits cheap as chips and easy to fit!

Makes a huge difference and you get 3 springs to make it light medium or heavy ( but still lighter than standard) so you can put them in and see what's best for you. Also I think you get spacer to adjust the play.

Iv had my CZ452 HMR since August 2006. I'm not the heaviest user (can go months without the rifle being out of the cabinet) but iv still put a few thousand rounds through it. Great gun, and lovely calibre and I intend to never be without it.

Some say it's a pointles 'gimmic', but iv yet to meet a rimfire as good for crows and shy/long range rabbits.

If it's only done about 100 leave the trigger well alone. This trigger runs in over time

Some kits and some bad fitting / testing and you don't have a sweet trigger you have a dangerous one

Took about 5- 600 before my old Cz hmr settled down

Agreed, they will bed in with use. And if you fit a kit, bump test it regularly, because a trigger that has been set too light can become dangerous as it beds in.

Lol. A trigger so light on a field rifle will be of no practical use.

No one is suggesting a dangerous trigger.

I have never waited for a trigger to "bed in " there is so little movement bedding in would take years.

It promotes wounding in my opinion not being able to shoot well due to a restrictive trigger.

If some fear their ability or understanding then sure leave their triggers alone but don't suggest that others are acting reckless!

Lol. A trigger so light on a field rifle will be of no practical use.

No one is suggesting a dangerous trigger.

I have never waited for a trigger to "bed in " there is so little movement bedding in would take years.

It promotes wounding in my opinion not being able to shoot well due to a restrictive trigger.

If some fear their ability or understanding then sure leave their triggers alone but don't suggest that others are acting reckless!

I'm not saying don't fit a kit, just be aware of how it'll will effect your trigger. I fitted a yo dave kit shortly after I got mine, and follow the instructions with the kit on which shim to fit, bump tested the rifle by dropping it butt first on to a carpeted concrete floor from about knee height, didn't trip the trigger, all well and good.

After maybe a couple of years use, I was swapping scopes and for some reason, I checked it again while I had the scope off. This time it did trip the trigger, tried it again and good thump with my hand on the stock tripped it. Took the old trigger kit out, and got another one from Rimfiremagic and fitted the smallest of the shims, tested it, and it was fine. But learning from past experience, I bump test it regularly.

Now with that original trigger kit, I could have used away at it, and not had any issues,but if I'd have dropped the rifle or went on my **** there's a good chance it would have went off.

I'm happy enough to err on the side of caution.

I'm not saying don't fit a kit, just be aware of how it'll will effect your trigger. I fitted a yo dave kit shortly after I got mine, and follow the instructions with the kit on which shim to fit, bump tested the rifle by dropping it butt first on to a carpeted concrete floor from about knee height, didn't trip the trigger, all well and good.

After maybe a couple of years use, I was swapping scopes and for some reason, I checked it again while I had the scope off. This time it did trip the trigger, tried it again and good thump with my hand on the stock tripped it. Took the old trigger kit out, and got another one from Rimfiremagic and fitted the smallest of the shims, tested it, and it was fine. But learning from past experience, I bump test it regularly.

Now with that original trigger kit, I could have used away at it, and not had any issues,but if I'd have dropped the rifle or went on my **** there's a good chance it would have went off.

I'm happy enough to err on the side of caution.

Happy days.

I fitted no kit.

I stoned the sears and fitted my own spring.

There is more to testing a trigger safe than just bump testing it.

A field hunting rifle should break at around 3 lb. It will be used with cold hands and even gloves. A bench rest trigger will break at ounces it will be used in rests

Learn some technique when running in that trigger and don't lighten up a brand new trigger because eggs on eggs it will get lighter

If you want a trigger sorting give it an expert

The very last thing an inexperienced person should mess with is the fire switch

The rimfire magic kits are just a set of springs to lighten the pull, the triggers are pretty agricultural. It's not as if you are removing material from the actual mechanism or sears, or worse in my opinion, cutting the spring down to lighten the pull.

The springs are the right length so it's a straight swap that anyone can manage, and after 6 years and thousands of rounds, I've never needed to adjust it again.

The do supply tube shims to remove the creep, but I never found them necessary.

Edited by mick miller