20G Browning B725 Hunter Black Gold or Miroku MK60 Gr5

ChrisPCarter

Have any of you got either of these?

Just wondering how the black finish holds up and general thoughts on the gun?

I don't think this has been out that long but the 725 12G comes in a black version too.

I'm after a 30" 20 gauge and like the look of this but can't decided whether I should go for the standard finish in a decent grade.

I've seen the Black Gold online for £1995 which seems like a good price but pictures I've seen have had quite variable wood.

I really like the dark wood finish but haven't seen one in the flesh/wood/metal.

Another option is a Miroku MK60 Grade 5 which I can't seem to find below £2500.

I have a MK38 Grade 5 and it fits me really well and I love it, so I was hoping the MK60 might be very similar?

Does anyone have both?

I know the Browning 525 is just about the same gun so fits me just as well, but is the 725 the same stock specs with that lower action?

I can't help thinking the engraving on the 725's I've seen looks very basic for the price.

I will have to get out and try them but just getting ideas really.

I'm wanting a lighter gun mainly for game, pigeons but some clays as well.

Hoping I might get a good deal at one of the shows coming up around my birthday at the start of May but I guess I might get a similar price at a gun shop with a bit of haggling? People seem to permanently have "sales" on these days.

Any thoughts?

Chris.

6.9lbs for the 725 and 6.6lbs for the MK60?

Around 8lbs for my MK38 so would feel light to me I'm sure.

Which other models are much lighter than that?

I presume a 525 will be the same as the MK60.

Beretta Silver Pigeon's I've tried don't seem to fit me at all so I imagine the 20g would be the same or worse?

I have a MK 60 grade 5 which as you know is fixed choke, this has covered a fair amount of my game shooting over the last two years "although I do prefer SxS " for most of my days, but I have to say the MK 60 is without doubt the best value game gun on the market.

I can think of no downsides to owning one - I have handled guns five times the price of my MK60 and none have felt so good - pointable, extremely well put together - bear in mind these are hand finished, the balance is another factor that make this the perfect O / U game gun - In my humble opinion. Shame it comes in a cardboard box.

I have a MK 60 grade 5 which as you know is fixed choke, this has covered a fair amount of my game shooting over the last two years "although I do prefer SxS " for most of my days, but I have to say the MK 60 is without doubt the best value game gun on the market.

I can think of no downsides to owning one - I have handled guns five times the price of my MK60 and none have felt so good - pointable, extremely well put together - bear in mind these are hand finished, the balance is another factor that make this the perfect O / U game gun - In my humble opinion. Shame it comes in a cardboard box.

I do love my MK38 so I kind of know what I'm getting with an MK60 and it would be like having a pair.

I've not heard a bad thing about the MK60 and the hand finished engraving looks so much better than the thin machine cut or laser etched stuff most guns come with now.

I just don't know whether to spend the extra £500 or so and get one as the 725 20g gets great reviews too. I could get a lower spec one for £1300 but I know I'd regret it and want better wood.

It worries me that the black action on the Browning may wear and scratch and look a mess in a few years, where my MK38 still looks like new.

I have an old AYA No.2 SxS which is very light and looks the part but it recoils like a canon with game cartridges!

I made the mistake of challenging a mate to a round of 50 clays with our game guns at the weekend using our normal fast 28 gram cartridges and by the end of it I fealt like I'd been hit by a bus!

I had a similar dilemma recently when looking for a 20 bore as I love the 725 but wanted a grade 5, which is not due out for another year . I did look at the black version but the semi pistol grip a black & gold trim was not to my liking. Tried a grade 5 MK60 20 bore and was very impressed. Just waiting for the right one to come up.

6.9lbs for the 725 and 6.6lbs for the MK60?

Around 8lbs for my MK38 so would feel light to me I'm sure.

Which other models are much lighter than that?

I presume a 525 will be the same as the MK60.

Beretta Silver Pigeon's I've tried don't seem to fit me at all so I imagine the 20g would be the same or worse?

Go and weigh one, I don't think it will come in at that. Your MK38 is a clay not a game gun, 7 1/4 or so target weight for a 12 bore game gun so 7lb or just over for the longer barrelled Brownings is very close. Nice looking guns though I handled one and looked past it because of the weight and bought a SH Beretta 687 which was considerably lighter and great for walked up where you do alot more carrying than shooting.

Edited by JRDS

B725_HUNTER_UK_BLK_EDITION_20M_1.png

I do like the look of this though... Decisions!

It's certainly different so people will love it or hate it.

I had a similar dilemma recently when looking for a 20 bore as I love the 725 but wanted a grade 5, which is not due out for another year . I did look at the black version but the semi pistol grip a black & gold trim was not to my liking. Tried a grade 5 MK60 20 bore and was very impressed. Just waiting for the right one to come up.

I've been looking for one to come up too but there don't seem to be many around.

I think people buy them and keep them. Which has got to be a good sign.

Edited by ChrisPCarter

Go and weigh one, I don't think it will come in at that. Your MK38 is a clay not a game gun, 7 1/4 or so target weight for a 12 bore game gun so 7lb or just over for the longer barrelled Brownings is very close. Nice looking guns though I handled one and looked past it because of the weight and bought a SH Beretta 687 which was considerably lighter and great for walked up where you do alot more carrying than shooting.

I'm using my MK38 Sporter for everything at the moment, even after buying a semi auto and a SxS it's the one I prefer and go back to all the time as it shoot so nicely.

It's mainly walked up I'm wanting it for, as well as pigeon shooting though that will be more expensive on cartridges.

+1. Fabulous game gun , only needed half inch off the comb to fit me like a glove .

Harnser

My Miroku MK 60 is my gun of choice. Had it tweaked by Nigel Teague - multi choked and stock changes including Kickeezee. Very point able. Balance suits me. Only a smidgen over 6 llbs. Love it. And, yes, the cardboard box was a surprise to me too!!

if u like the slimmer browning 725 then in 20 g i would seriously steer you toward silver pigeon..in 20 g I think it is a belter...(i have 425 g5 in both 12 & 20)and prefer the SP in the 20g...the 425 is pretty much the miroku 60 with different badge and is great especially in 12 but for me the beretta in 20g you should try.........if ur budget permits the eell is tarty enough for all occassions........

As you shoot an mk38 I would say the mk60 would have a much similar feel than the 725, so may be easier if you switch between guns.

I've had an mk60 grade 5 20 which was a fantastic gun, I regret ever selling it. Lovely game gun. I now have a 725 after going back to a 20 for game, again it's a great gun so hard choice although as far as value for money I think the miroku is hard to beat, some have exceptional wood.

Just sold a 525 12g and had a new 725 black and gold in 20g went fron 28 to 30" barrels both game guns, I got on well with the 525 but just fancied a 20 and the 725 fitted the bill, I couldn't make my mind up about the black and gold but love it now! Who cares what other people think anyway it's your gun and your money.

It is back up for sale.

I've sent him a message but no reply so far and there are quite a few people chasing it.

Fingers crossed.

i think its the silver pigeon iv has the black action with gold birds the silver pig v has the case coloured action with gold birds

I'll have a look at these, thanks for the info.

The 12 gauge didn't fit me but i'll have a go with a 20 and see.