Why are CZ Centre fire rifles not popular?

zipdog

I have a 550, works just fine. They are very popular in Africa as well. The accountants seem to have got in there now. The 455 is cheaper to make than the older 452 because of"savings" in machining! Now the lock-up isn't as good and the 550 has gone in standard calibres so that they save money by not having CRF. Possibly get your CZ now.

David.

Im looking into a new centre fire 222, given the popularity of the CZ rimfire range, can someone explain to me why their larger caliber rifles seem unpopular?

thanks

Snobbery perhaps?

Do CZ do a stainless and synthetic rifle?

When I bought my BSA .22rf, a friend bought a BRNO. When I saw his, I wished I had bought one.

Edited by rjimmer

Who says CZ centrefires are unpopular? Loads about. I have a 527 in .223 and it's a solid workhorse with a decent, well made short Mauser action. Triggers can be a little crude but they shoot well, and are very accurate, long lived rifles. Bonus are things like the metal magazine (unlike the plastic parts on many newer rifles). Standard triggers, if needs be, can be gently worked by a gunsmith to smooth out the creep that some factory triggers have, and cheaper than a drop in replacement unit too. 527's can also be fitted with Kevlar/fibreglass stocks from Edgar Bros AFAIK. Good rifles. Older BRNO rifles also very good.

I've cz 452 and it's as accurate as anything, but since starting to shoot a Tikka I've realised just how much courser it is to cycle the bolt compared to the T3. But it still would put me off buying CZ again.

I've heard different people say different things about the bolts on these. I've had BRNOs and the CZ527 only so can't comment on other models but suspect the action is different between some models. The genuine short Mauser (or "micro-Mauser") action used on 22 cal CF rifles is quite sweet and smooth in operation but I've heard others complain that their CZ rimmies are coarser.

Large calibre Cz are very popular world over! Deer cal rifles tend to drop in popularity these days - it's fashion nowt wrong with them

Cz 527 smaller centrefire rifles are very very popular indeed it's basically the Ford fiesta of the rifle world

If you want a decent, accurate, workhorse rifle get a CZ/BRNO. If you want a fashion statement get something else and part with a lot more money.

I have a CZ 455 in 22RF and a old 600 in 270Win both do the job. Your money your choice. ATB

I've got an old BRNO 22Lr which besides being bloody long shoots just lovely, at least well enough for rabbits, it was bloody cheap to buy too.

I've also got a CZ 550 in 243 and it was the cheapest rifle and all I could afford at the time, altho they had a Remington 770 for similar, the Remington was horrible.

The CZ is going strong and had a handful of fox and deer with it :) although I'd love to have more land to really put it through its paces if I'm honest!

The first centre fire rifle I bought was a Brno/Cz zk601 in .243, it doesn't really like 100grn ammo, it prefers 80 - 90 grn soft points. I bought this rifle 25 years ago as my working rifle, I am an Estate stalker/forester and I will never sell it, yes it is fair to call it a working class gun and the finish and fit is no where near as fine as on my 1980's vintage Sako, BUT…the Brno has never failed to fire, has accounted for several hundred deer and I don't know how many foxes. A combination of classic design and high quality materials means it will outlast me, it has served me well for the last 25 years and I don't regret buying the old girl, there is almost no bluing remaining on the barrel, but careful cleaning/oiling has preserved her well, I have no experience of more recent products though.