CPSA what's your thoughts..

Will Poon

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not fit for purpose just back biting do gooders who line there own pockets with our money and waste the rest .Its not an association for the members ,it's for the management .

They really don't care about us ,l left in 2008 after they tried to bribe me to stop me bringing an official complaint against them , problem is if you want to shoot 100 bird shoots it's a closed shop .i was forced to rejoin to allow me to shoot with mates .if I didn't have to join there is no way I wood .

I find it so strange that the CEO is a non shooter who is too idle to reply to any emails sent . I wouldn't pay him in washers if it was up to me !

Edited by deershooter

The members can only sort this organisation out, but they cannot be bothered to as the vast majority just want to shoot registered clays.

It really needs an EGM with someone capable of getting rid of some of them at the top, then it might be better for all, but that will never happen. :no:

Edited by BlaserF3

As you well know Will, you won't find many CPSA lovers amongst the hard core clay shooting fraternity.

I regard them as a necessary evil, as somebody has to formally administer the sport and provide insurance cover etc.

It's interesting to compare the CPSA with the equivalent in France, the FFBT, they both have a member base of around 25,000, but the French employ only 4 staff, yet the CPSA seem to need 15, how can that be right..?

I was also surprised that they decided to appoint a CEO who didn't know which end of a shotgun to put in his shoulder, quite extraordinary, don't you think..?

The recent resignation of Joe Kitson from the Board shows how far things have gone, Joe is a grass roots shooter, with the interests of ordinary shooters at heart, he's not a political animal and therefore stood no chance in the CPSA boardroom, particularly as he appears to have fallen out with the Chairman, who is not at all popular with the rank and file, was voted off the Board, but, somehow has worked his way back onto the Board via a change in the CPSA statute..?

You couldn't make it up..?

Cat.

I hold the CPSA in the same regard as FIFA under Blatter, just with more out of court settlements to their name and less integrity.

Unfortunately if I want to shoot registered I have to deal with them.

I cannot really complain that no one is sorting it out when

I don't have the spare time or inclination to get involved either so I just have to accept who they are.

I may be a comparative newcomer with only 15 years of clay shooting but I can honestly say that I've never, ever heard anyone say anything complimentary about the CPSA. I agree that they are a necessary evil - and don't they know it? I think there are ways pressure can be applied to make them more accountable, but because they are totally disinterested in listening to the membership and happy to force the resignations of anyone who seeks to improve anything, that pressure would have to be external. A rival organisation isn't going to happen but we, the membership, could use various means to make their lives less comfortable. But it's a certainty that complacency isn't going to work.

Can not see what they have done for shooting or shooters in the uk.

To my mind it's nothing more than a clearing house and booking agent for grounds to post scores and members to see how they have done, and have a classification. To book onto registered shoots.

I look at the Essex Masters and how many people shoot it, if more held shoots that were not CPSA more would shoot them.

I shot at registered shoots for a few years before joining to get classified and shot targets only and not one ground refused my money, why would they there a business.

I'm wondering whether to renew next years membership, I'm already in basc so have insurance.

Am I correct in thinking that you can shoot registered shoots clays only without being a member?

Yes and no, I've never been turned away by a ground from a registered shoot by not being a member I just wanted to shoot the 100 clays.

If it was something like the British open where places are sqauded or oversubscribed you probably wouldn't be able to.

Am I correct in thinking that you can shoot registered shoots clays only without being a member?

Yes by buying a day pass, although I have yet to see a ground charge for one or turn anyone away.

"A CPSA Day Pass may only be used at the ground from which it was issued and the shooter can only take part in the registered event on a “have a go” basis. The score obtained will not count towards any CPSA classification, competition or prize."

So if you want to take part in the competition it's a no go but if you just want to shoot the targets then you can do that without being a member.

I'm not a clay person only ever shooting them for a bit of fun and practice but just saw this on FB - "Joe Kitson has resigned from his post on the CPSA board as the West Midlands regional director over a catalogue of reasons. Read his letter via the link http://2s5yg916ul8n1fjd583jqeof.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/19/2016/03/resignation-Joe-Kitson2.pdf"

Seems to tie in with some of the comments in other posts above

Edited by Brixsmaid

What's your opinion on the CPSA ? Good or bad..

What are your thoughts then Will?

I am a life member, purchased many years ago when I shot competitively.

I have served on county committees but have become ever disapointed with how things are carried out at every level.

I have said before when this was raised,

I was asked to leave the CPSA for 12 months and then rejoin after I wanted to switch from full to clubman membership,

I spoke to whoever was dealing with subscriptions at the time and he said that was the only way to switch ( I believe it's changed now)

Thought it was a stupid idea and told them so, and then I left.

12 months later they rang me and asked if I wanted to rejoin as a clubman member, after a heated discussion I said no, they did try a few more times to get me to rejoin but not on your nelly.

After reading what they did to Joe Kitson it's about time they got rid of everyone and started again....

:shaun:

I was a full member many moons ago when I shot mostly clays, as I thought it was the thing to do, but let it lapse as I started to shoot more live quarry than clays.

Local ground tried to insist I rejoined when I started to take nephew when he was a lot younger even though we were both insured through BASC at the time, but couldn't tell me why even after trying to persuade me to rejoin as a Clubman member. I didn't rejoin but we stopped going altogether as it was mentioned each time we showed up and is primarily set up for DTL and OT, neither of which interested us.

I've yet to hear of the CPSA taking a stand against any kind of unscrupulous behaviour by licensing authorities, and regardless of which organisation it is, this is a priority for me, and sadly none can live up to my expectations.

The icing on the cake for me was when the CPSA attempted to change their name in order to distance itself from live quarry shooters. All for one and one for all....I think not.

I'm assuming no one on here is employed by them. :)

The reason I ask is because I don't shoot as much registered comps anymore due to work so I'm thinking of leaving the CPSA, as what do I actually get with my £67 yearly membership besides the Pull magazine which in my opinion is full of old news, as I can get more information either on Facebook or shooting forums.

There's plenty of big comps that you don't need to be a cpsa member to shoot. My membership is up in June but I'm booked in for the British open in August.

How much money do the CPSA collect in a year? Sorry for being lazy.

The Angling Trust was set up in an attempt to amalgamate all the fishing bodies. Failed miserably.

I was going to say disband the CPSA and give the job to the BASC but they haven't even made a move for it have they?

interesting thread...I have always felt I should be a member as over the years have wanted to do registered...was thinking of joining again recently but dont really know what I get for @ £70?...dont need the insurance so for me it would allow cpsa registered events and a ranking...and seems bit steep for that?...having read the letter of resignation does'nt make me want to give them any ££ either.....am I missing something?

No one seems to know what if anything they are actually doing for our sport.

Basically you want registered pay us we will put scores on web and process entries for more money.

Think they need to start doing something proactive for the members and sport in general as more members become disillusioned and leave.

I probably only shoot two or three comps a year that I have to a member to shoot, the rest I could just shoot clays only and have an enjoyable shoot round.

Later this year I'll be looking at if to renew or not.

Edited by figgy

I enjoy informal clay shooting at various friendly clubs around the South of England.I am not a member of the CPSA but do remember them denigrating other shooting sports in darker times to try and promote their own interests. I have never been fond of self appointed organizations who always seem to fail their membership and to be honest have tended to ignore such quango's. I must admit that reading this post, from contributors that I have come to respect on this forum, I am quite shocked that CPSA is a company!? not an association. With any company, profit drives and little else matters. the people at the top have no other motive. The shooting sports in this country have always been disjointed and self interested, the organizations run by faceless, usually self appointed czars. We, the people have to act to get proper all round representation, maybe from BASC but how unbiased are they? To mis-quote from history " the bad men will only prosper when the good men do nothing"