CPSA what's your thoughts..

Will Poon

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the only solution to this scandalous disgrace would be to call for an EGM and get it sorted once and for all.

Probably far better off by joining the Welsh , Irish, or Scottish associations or a completely new one should be formed.

All necessary because we have a basically dysfunctional Management Board !

Or just cut off funds and form a new association, based on a consensus of what it's members really want; it's not like it would be the first time it's happened.

The trouble is 99% of the members just want to shoot :good:

Your first battle would be against the apathy of the average member!

Your first battle would be against the apathy of the average member!

Yep, most people are happy to moan from the sidelines and it is easy to do that. They see things from the perspective that suits them and of course make swinge'ing statements about how such and such should happen, etc.

Ask those people to do something and the majoroty will look around frantically to see if someone else is doing something that they can offer their support to, very few are prepared to put their hand up.

Most will say i don't have time, experience, knowledge, skill etc to do something myself, but that doesn't stop them from happily criticising what other people are prepared to do.

If getting an alternative solution in place was easy there would already be an alternative solution, the reason why there isn't an alternative to join in with is because everyone who bitches and moans have put it on the too hard to deal with pile.

It would need a huge amount of time and effort to start winning support, it would be a difficult journey with lots of resistance and apathy, the ground owners would be hard to get on side, but it is absolutely possible.

The problem is a lack of leadership and commitment, if one person was prepared to put themselves forward and have sufficient charisma and fortitude then you could build something, someone who is not afraid to be shot down over and over because they believe in what they are doing then you start to have a chance; if that person actually understands the bigger picture of what the CPSA do or need to do then so much the better as they can build a cause with an actual purpose to deliver something meaningful instead of just being a louder voice of protest and complaint. Add a bit of imagination and vision into the mix and you start to have a really compelling message for others to buy into.

There are a few posters on this thread who are well enough connected and are respected and have sufficient influence to support such a person if they don't fancy the gig theirself, but who has the guts to put their hand up?

The CPSA isn't my fight, but it is a fight that could be won with the right leadership guidance and plan.

Edited by grrclark

The trouble is 99% of the members just want to shoot :good:

Yep, and there lies the rub. I think that's all most of us want to do, as did I initially, which to be truthful is why most of us join shooting organisations. That's what we pay them for after all, isn't it?

It wasn't until interference from those in authority and the apathy of not just the shooters, but also the shooting organisations, which threatened to interfere with my shooting that I became quite outspoken and involved in the politics of shooting.

I despise deceit and apathy and treat with great suspicion those who seek to place themselves in positions of authority over others. It is quite sadly annoying to find that many of those traits are commonplace within some of our shooting organisations.

Yep, and there lies the rub. I think that's all most of us want to do, as did I initially, which to be truthful is why most of us join shooting organisations. That's what we pay them for after all, isn't it?

It wasn't until interference from those in authority and the apathy of not just the shooters, but also the shooting organisations, which threatened to interfere with my shooting that I became quite outspoken and involved in the politics of shooting.

I despise deceit and apathy and treat with great suspicion those who seek to place themselves in positions of authority over others. It is quite sadly annoying to find that many of those traits are commonplace within some of our shooting organisations.

The last paragraph is descriptive of so many committees of sports and social clubs throughout the land, the irony is that your feelings and opinions towards abuse of authority would make you a great person to have on one and keep things accountable.

It's interesting that you used the word "authority" as I believe that is the root of the problem, all too often committees assume an authority where they really should be providing leadership. There is a world of difference.

A forum member on here is a former employee of the CPSA and can shed a lot of light on their past endeavours, mainly bad.

It's a pity he has not chosen to contribute to this thread, assuming he has seen it.

In fairness to JPY, he was long gone before all of this nonsense kicked off, the CPSA Board and Head Office has a phenomenal "churn rate", not many staff get to draw their retirement pension there..!

Cat.

Well the CPSA are not happy with the Clay Shooting magazine article.

https://www.cpsa.co.uk/cpsa-comment-concerning-clay-shooting-article

By the tone of the response looks like more legal fees are going to be spent on taking the magazine to court.

Also with the statement

"you and your publisher (and anyone else who has re-published this article) are subject to the law."

I wonder if they are going to go after individuals that shared the online article.

In my opinion (just to be on the safe side :) ) the CPSA are doing themselves no favours threatening even more litigation when the issue people have is about frivolous litigation in the first place.

The irony at the end of the letter about not for publication makes me smile.

Well,

I think the latest message from The CPSA CEO published on the CPSA website , for EVERYONE to see just about sums up the very sorry state of affairs we now find ourselves embroiled in.

Clive Hames has been expelled for one year because he had the temerity to copy in to 70 members who he thought may be interested in the affairs of the CPSA, emails and correspondence about his concern at the way he thought our Association was being managed.

We now find that the CEO copies private correspondence to an Editor of a Magazine to 23,890 members of the CPSA.

Could I ask a very simple question?

If we are being managed well and correctly, why are we constantly embroiled in litigation at tremendous cost to the Members cash reserves?

Well,

I think the latest message from The CPSA CEO published on the CPSA website , for EVERYONE to see just about sums up the very sorry state of affairs we now find ourselves embroiled in.

Clive Hames has been expelled for one year because he had the temerity to copy in to 70 members who he thought may be interested in the affairs of the CPSA, emails and correspondence about his concern at the way he thought our Association was being managed.

We now find that the CEO copies private correspondence to an Editor of a Magazine to 23,890 members of the CPSA.

Could I ask a very simple question?

If we are being managed well and correctly, why are we constantly embroiled in litigation at tremendous cost to the Members cash reserves?

Pete, we share the same view on this very sorry state of affairs! I shall not renew this year!

A case in point is EJ Churchill, who cannot shoot on their ground on a Sunday, how odd is that..?

EJ Churchill have a no shooting on Sunday policy imposed on them under noise abatement reasoning, so nothing to do with CPSA.

I ref'd at the CPSA event on Sunday, hosted by EJC but on The Dashwood Estate the other side of the motorway. 306 guns game through and it was a cracking event, certainly helped by the weather!

Cheers

iain

EJ Churchill have a no shooting on Sunday policy imposed on them under noise abatement reasoning, so nothing to do with CPSA.

I ref'd at the CPSA event on Sunday, hosted by EJC but on The Dashwood Estate the other side of the motorway. 306 guns game through and it was a cracking event, certainly helped by the weather!

Cheers

iain

I didn't say it had anything to do with the CPSA, the point I was making is that how can a ground that cannot shoot on a Sunday be given "Premier" status..?

Cat.

I didn't say it had anything to do with the CPSA, the point I was making is that how can a ground that cannot shoot on a Sunday be given "Premier" status..?

Cat.

They can get around the Sunday problem with the vast Estate - there are others that don't open on a Sunday. Really looking forward to the Worlds - using different parts of the estate that haven't been shot before.

i gave up with the "cpsa" after the "ctsa" fiasco....

shame really.

Yes, it was made even more of a fiasco by the lack of interest in the whole affair by the rank & file CPSA membership, out of a total membership of over 20,000, only about 350 could be bothered to vote..

Cat.

CPSA 'Premier' ground status can be granted to a ground that has disabled toilets and reasonable access to stands !

Here in Shropshire we have two registered grounds , one sporting that rarely holds registered shoots and one DTL that rarely holds shoots !

CPSA income is over £2M from members. What for?

Guest cookoff013

Yes, it was made even more of a fiasco by the lack of interest in the whole affair by the rank & file CPSA membership, out of a total membership of over 20,000, only about 350 could be bothered to vote..

Cat.

i voted !

if they changed the P, i would have told them to shove their T !

They can get around the Sunday problem with the vast Estate - there are others that don't open on a Sunday. Really looking forward to the Worlds - using different parts of the estate that haven't been shot before.

Yes, but they only use that bit of ground a couple days of times a year at most, for obvious reasons.

In my opinion, if you wish to host major events, you need to have un-restricted shooting available AT THE GROUND, (not down the road) on Sundays.

A case in point is the Fitasc World Compak, this is a 4 day event which has to finish on the Saturday, it means if you want to shoot it, you'll need 3 days off work, not 2 as for every other 4 day event.

On that basis, I doubt I'll be there.

Cat.

Yes, but they only use that bit of ground a couple days of times a year at most, for obvious reasons.

In my opinion, if you wish to host major events, you need to have un-restricted shooting available AT THE GROUND, (not down the road) on Sundays.

A case in point is the Fitasc World Compak, this is a 4 day event which has to finish on the Saturday, it means if you want to shoot it, you'll need 3 days off work, not 2 as for every other 4 day event.

On that basis, I doubt I'll be there.

Cat.

I take your point but I would rather shoot the major events on the Estate than the ground to be honest. As said there are others who don't have access to shooting on Sunday and also quite a lot of people work at weekends so they would probably welcome weekday shooting. There will always be problems though whatever days these events are held. My husband used to grumble a lot in the old days when they held the Fitasc events in the week rather than weekends - going back a bit - as he never got to shoot them unless he wanted to miss a day's wages.

When you have to shoot a major during the week not out of your own choice it makes the comps a lot more expensive with lost wages taken into account.

Grounds should only be able to hold the event if they can offer Saturday and Sunday shooting. It will be interesting to see how the membership is affected next year. An shooting organisation ran by people who don't shoot or have anything to do with shooting. Don't take a genius to see why they took the job.

I just wish either there was another viable organisation or every event was an open and not affiliated to any group.

FITASC is French they could organise it all over here,after all it's there discipline so who better.

Edited by figgy