17 hmr silencers

karl h

I know I have to go a rfd to buy the silencer just trying to find out more info on it before i have to travel miles to buy one.

Look for Jackson Rifles on the net - www.jacksonrifles.com- they are Suppliers/distributors to all local RFD. for SAK and ASE Utra.

I Have tried both on my HMR and the ASE Utra is the best

Cheers Paul :good:

p.s.

you dont need to get either 1 put on your ticket (unless you want too of course), because you can buy them as an air rifle Mod.

Target Sports of bolton will supply via post - www.targetsports.co.uk

But you do need to have something entered on your licence by a friendly RFD( i.e. Sound Mod - Unkown maker - No Visable Serial Number)

One of the best HMR moderator is an overbarrel design made by Dave Mercer (DM80 on airgunBBS). You have to hear (or not hear it) it to believe it but the crack is reduced to air rifle (non-silenced) status. It is way, way better than the SAK and that is not at all bad. The moderator is made for .17 calibre and costs about £65 posted to you. It is sent as an "air rifle" silencer so you would to get an RFD to sign it onto your ticket. Dave also does .22 LR moderators too.

it can be posted mate but it has to be done to a rfd and then signed on to ya licence. I think anyway.

not really - you can have it posted to home (Air rifle silencer :good: )but once fired on an FAC rifle, it then becomes classed as a Firearm (Stupid i Know, But...). so if yo do buy 1 , you will need it entered onto your FAC, espcially has you have applied for a moderator on your ticket.

Hope this helps

Paul B)

Just to add to my praise of the DM80 moderator - the mods theme has come up again on airgunBBS and I have lifted this from a post there. I hadn't realised that any tests had been carried out but results are as set out below.

The dm 80 test results from 12+ months (this will be 2006) ago are as follows,

-20db better than the sak. sako, and Parker hale,

-14 db better than the ase utra,

-8 db better than a t8,

All the tests where with the same rifle ( cz 17 hmr 20" ) same ammo and with the same sound sampling db meter, same angle of placement and height of projectile being tested. The ase utra may be tougher made but it is patently not as quiet.

The only downside is that Dave handmakes his moderators and you will likely have to wait some months once you place an order (just use SAK in the meantime). Each HMR moderator is made for .17 it is not generic as in SAK re .17 and .22.

I paid £65 for mine. To be honest it is probably worth £100+ IMO.

I think you should look at different moderators and the way they feel to find one that suits you.. it makes me laugh when I hear all the comparisions about noise.. when the HMR emits a sonic crack. whatever you do it will sound the same down range.

I used a big over the barrel PES which kept it quiet for my ears, but was ungainly and upset the balance so much I swapped it for a Ase Ultra.. its actually not as quiet.. but stops me going deaf.

but its much more manoverable ... which is what counts. particualy when waving it out of the window

have a look at the options

Just to add to my praise of the DM80 moderator - the mods theme has come up again on airgunBBS and I have lifted this from a post there. I hadn't realised that any tests had been carried out but results are as set out below.

The dm 80 test results from 12+ months (this will be 2006) ago are as follows,

-20db better than the sak. sako, and Parker hale,

-14 db better than the ase utra,

-8 db better than a t8,

All the tests where with the same rifle ( cz 17 hmr 20" ) same ammo and with the same sound sampling db meter, same angle of placement and height of projectile being tested. The ase utra may be tougher made but it is patently not as quiet.

The only downside is that Dave hand makes his moderators and you will likely have to wait some months once you place an order (just use SAK in the meantime). Each HMR moderator is made for .17 it is not generic as in SAK re .17 and .22.

I paid £65 for mine. To be honest it is probably worth £100+ IMO.

the above test were done my myself, and they were done to ascertain the noise that can be heard by the human ear ( the quieter the better) and if you have a noise sensitive shoot then the results are plain to see,.

just another point to note, if you use a sak mod on a 16" barreled rifle the sak will start to decay inside due to the flash from the powder ( not recommended at all)

safe and sound shooting to you all.

bob.

it makes me laugh when I hear all the comparisions about noise.. when the HMR emits a sonic crack. whatever you do it will sound the same down range.

Doesn't make me laugh at all as it strikes me as really useful and important information (well done BobJS!). Sure, what the quarry hears downrange is much the same although we are not talking centrefire distances and most of my HMR shooting is within rather than over 100 yards and so that "Bang" does becme more important.

Rather, it is the bang which you and others nearby hear which concerns most HMR users. The more this can be cut down the better. However, I would agree with you wholeheartedly that what suits one person will not suit the next. My DM80 looks like a big T8 stuck on the gun. For me that just doesn't matter. The balance is still reasonable but the sound is much, much more reasonable!

• 1 year later...