last weekend of the river season

mikee

with this coming weekend being the last of the current river season I was wondering who will be out where and after what

I will be down on the river Yare after roach, fished there a fortnight ago and had a good bag of roach and dace with the biggest roach a bit short of 2lb with several around the pound mark

Mikee

I caught my best river pike on the very last day of the season at dusk a few years ago. It was from a little river around here called the River Blythe and it tipped the scales at 19.5lbs. I promised myself I would get her bigger sisters one day but I'm ashamed to say I haven't wet a line at all this season.

Note to self: sort this out for June!

Not that I want to rub it in :whistling: But I'm just about to start my spring river campaign out here in France where there is no close season. Now that the rain has stopped and the temp's are climbing above double figures I'll be dusting off the barbel rod and having a few days out. :)

Not that I want to rub it in :whistling: But I'm just about to start my spring river campaign out here in France where there is no close season. Now that the rain has stopped and the temp's are climbing above double figures I'll be dusting off the barbel rod and having a few days out. :)

hello, let us know how you get on, there are quite a few barbel fishers around here, not me i just do a few days through winter for pike and my cheapo trout club lake. best on the thames so far was over 12llb

March the 15th sees me starting the Derbyshire Derwent trout season.

There's always a way to wet a line.

hello, let us know how you get on, there are quite a few barbel fishers around here, not me i just do a few days through winter for pike and my cheapo trout club lake. best on the thames so far was over 12llb

For some strange reason barbel don't grow that big in the area I fish. A lot of people seem to struggle to get fish over 5lb and whilst I've had them to around 8lb it is very hit and miss. Last year a German resident of France came over to see me after he'd spotted me fishing the far bank of a large river. He said that he'd caught over 300 barbel in France and never had one over 3lb. I'm intending fishing a different river to my usual one this year. It flows through limestone country so I'm hopeful of bigger fish. The Vienne is fed by water from poor soil and pine forests and I've been thinking that water quality might be the reason for the small barbel.

Prime chub conditions Tony !

My biggest chub was caught on the last day a few seasons ago but it wasn't pushing through like it is at the minute

UK poacher,when I fished the river Lott in France many years ago we had loads of barbel in the 5 to 7lb range

There might not be any pillocks piling in halibut pellets as well.

There aren't on the Dearne (Sth. Yorks) but there are loads of 12lb barbel.

My biggest chub was caught on the last day a few seasons ago but it wasn't pushing through like it is at the minute

UK poacher,when I fished the river Lott in France many years ago we had loads of barbel in the 5 to 7lb range

I'll be heading down that way later on in the year. There are larger barbel in rivers such as the Rhone and Seine, but sadly not local to me.

There aren't on the Dearne (Sth. Yorks) but there are loads of 12lb barbel.

I'll be heading down that way later on in the year. There are larger barbel in rivers such as the Rhone and Seine, but sadly not local to me.

Caught probably the longest carp I've ever seen on the Lott We were bivvied up next to the river with fields of grapes behind us Plenty of cheap wine and a beautiful setting !

March the 15th sees me starting the Derbyshire Derwent trout season.

There's always a way to wet a line.

I used to have a DRAC ticket for Darley Dale and my friend let me guest on his club's stretch at Calver. Beautiful river and not as prone to flooding after rain as some are thanks to the Ladybower Dam. Do they still allow fly fishing on the Derwent and Howden Dams?

Darley dale is plagued with canoeists in the summer now.

When Ladybower gets full,they do a draw down and let about a ten inch bore down the river.

Severn Trent let us know now,as a fisherman got knocked down in Hathersage and injured when they did it a few winters ago.

Howden and the Derwent are run as a club now"Birchinlee"http://www.ladybowerfisheries.co.uk/birchenlee.html

Darley dale is plagued with canoeists in the summer now.

When Ladybower gets full,they do a draw down and let about a ten inch bore down the river.

Severn Trent let us know now,as a fisherman got knocked down in Hathersage and injured when they did it a few winters ago.

Howden and the Derwent are run as a club now"Birchinlee"http://www.ladybowerfisheries.co.uk/birchenlee.html

Thanks for that info' I used to love fishing the top two dams whenever Alan (RIP) could be persuaded to issue a ticket. Looks like things have improved with the change of management and not before time.

Canoes weren't a major problem when I fished Darley Dale, but I did have one run in with a school of paddlers. Not kids or scallies either. A proper canoeing class on a part of the river with no navigation rights :hmm: