Don't become disabled!

Les*1066

My wife is 66 this year 15 years a go after along hard fight she was awarded dla for life and mobility liveing allowince .ihave to help to wash dress toilet and change dressing .she has just received ,a letter saying due to pip changes we have to go before a panel to reasase, to see if she can keep her award or reduce her payments , it stinks. Just to say before she became ill she was manager of a nursing home worked long hours , all so was on call But she in joyed her job , you never know what's round the corner southman

I am in a similar position to you,my wife,like yours,enjoyed(and still misses)her work.It hurts me to see her dignity/self esteem unnecessarily attacked when her condition and medical records unfortunately prove beyond doubt to anyone bar a biased/target based system she is plainly not capable of looking after herself. Although I am glad to help her ,in any way I am able,I recognize she hates needing help and the last thing she needs is some jumped up/unqualified **** aka:"total joke, each time a glorified secretary who has to constantly look in the medical dictionary for reference & spelling:thank you Bazooka Joe!." telling her what she should be able to do.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why then do you see folk with blue badges park up and walk unaided in to the supermarket and such. Admittedly some walk slowly (whether put on or not I don't know) but they seem to manage quite well. Are these folk genuinely unable to do ANY work? Surely if you can walk 50 yds to the shop, then spend time in there pushing a trolley full of shopping then you can walk round a warehouse picking orders, or sit at a desk in a call centre or serve behind a counter.

Or is this menial work below them ? While you see this day in and day out is it any wonder there's no sympathy ?

Disability comes in many forms and you dont have to be in a wheelchair to be disabled, my wife can walk short distances very slowly stopping for breaks as her lungs are moth eaten and her resting heart rate is 150 on a good day all down to massive pulmonary embolisms, after a short trip such as the shop or somewhere she will be laid up paying for it for a day or more so we often use a wheelchair for part of our trips out and walking the rest. She tried working twice but both times couldn't manage it although she would rather work and be normal. She also gets abuse from ignorant people who dont understand you dont need to be crippled to be significantly disabled so maybe a little more knowledge is needed before passing judgement or perhaps with your xray eyes that can see through all these peoples illnesses you should apply to become a doctor

Just to add some perspective on the amount of fraudulent claimants receiving DLA/PIP, the DWP's own official figures show it at 2.4%, the lowest rate of fraud on any benefit by a massive margin.

PIP was introduced with one aim, to reduce the amount of DLA claimants by around 25%, hardly a fair system.

Edited by phaedra1106

We are caring for a 40yo son who is disabled: learning disabilities, epilepsy (severe) and now cancer (malignant melanoma - terminal) plus my wife has the added burden of her 94yo dad who has two types of cancer and a mother who lost the plot and has just spent 3 months inthe nut house having been sectioned last December so we are experts on the 'system'. Generally I think we can say we have been treated very well indeed. We are aware of however a number of families who milk the system - professional claimants I think one post described them - including a neighbour who has a similar situation to ourselves (so they 'swap notes' ie tell us their latest benefit or scam - this has included insurance fraud!!) and I must say seeing both sides of this awful mess there doubtless huge savings to be made whilst there are also many tragic cases who miss out through ignorance or lack of support.

Someone made a dig at blue badge holders and whilst this may be subject to some abuse then are some, like my son, who looks 'normal' and heathly but now he has cancer his existing disabilities have been supplemented by a left sided weakness (removal of tumour and lymph nodes in groin) and Crohn's disease which leaves him very weak. We get those odd looks!

My customer has Parkinson's and can hardly walk so he shuffles , he's now being told he might have to work soon as he cant reach the points required ???

I know another witch/woman who was bitten at 18 by a dog and at 60 still hasn't worked even tho she walks 8/10 miles a day down the canal with he dog :/ .

My ex mother in law was written off permanent at 45 due to he body not working through being an alcoholic and has just treated her self to a new car.

My dad needs a new hip and new knee but he's self employed so will he get help? Nope .

Two years ago my leg was totally broke through but could I get help? Nope because my partner works :( so I went to work after 5 weeks with the frame fitted lol else I'd loose my house .

Each person need assessing I feel and when reported they need investigating to get rid of the scammers.

We are caring for a 40yo son who is disabled: learning disabilities, epilepsy (severe) and now cancer (malignant melanoma - terminal) plus my wife has the added burden of her 94yo dad who has two types of cancer and a mother who lost the plot and has just spent 3 months inthe nut house having been sectioned last December so we are experts on the 'system'. Generally I think we can say we have been treated very well indeed. We are aware of however a number of families who milk the system - professional claimants I think one post described them - including a neighbour who has a similar situation to ourselves (so they 'swap notes' ie tell us their latest benefit or scam - this has included insurance fraud!!) and I must say seeing both sides of this awful mess there doubtless huge savings to be made whilst there are also many tragic cases who miss out through ignorance or lack of support.

Someone made a dig at blue badge holders and whilst this may be subject to some abuse then are some, like my son, who looks 'normal' and heathly but now he has cancer his existing disabilities have been supplemented by a left sided weakness (removal of tumour and lymph nodes in groin) and Crohn's disease which leaves him very weak. We get those odd looks!

I lost my sister to epilepsy :( at 19 and my cousin has crohns . The main problem is people don't understand

I didn't see anyone have a dig at blue badge holders, one of my family members is also a blue badge holder and has been for many years, the only post I could see reference blue badge holders appeared to have a dig at those who abuse the system, I've seen many myself.

My friend went to Age Uk this morning to see about his upcoming pension, they said they were absolutely swamped with people loosing their DLA when being moved to PIP and having looked at the proposals for January expect the majority of those on the lower rate of the PIP Daily Living component (used to be low & medium rate DLA Care component) to loose it completely when they're next assessed.

They say the effect this will have on already vulnerable disabled people will be catastrophic, of course by the time it happens it will have been in the papers that much the ordinary working public will be sick of hearing about it and won't give a toss as long as it doesn't affect them.

Just to add some perspective on the amount of fraudulent claimants receiving DLA/PIP, the DWP's own official figures show it at 2.4%, the lowest rate of fraud on any benefit by a massive margin.

PIP was introduced with one aim, to reduce the amount of DLA claimants by around 25%, hardly a fair system.

The majority of so called 'fraud' is accounted for by people not informing DWP that they have been overpaid. Given the complexity of the system, most people simply do not realise that they are being overpaid until they are reassessed.

As for 'foreign' aid; only 15% of the foreign aid budget makes it foreign governments. Despite officially ending tied aid in 2001, 20 to 30% is tied aid i.e. money that must be spent by aid recipient countries on UK goods. Aid provided by is often paid as part of trade deals to open up protected third world markets to UK businesses. If you think that we send 'aid' to benefit the third world, take a look at the declining profits and market share of Asian and African farmers, and the increase in UK land ownership in the third world by UK firms for example. Half a billion gets spent on UK aid consultants by the DfID alone.

Who's winning DfID's major contracts? - The top 15

Click heading to sort table. Download the full data. Note: These are the top 15 contracts and procurement agreements published by DfID since January 2011**

Edited by Wharf Rat

Just been through the mill with the PIP people. I have not been able to walk for the last eight to ten years following a very bad accident. I was made to feel like a schoolboy up in front of the headmaster.. I was asked if I could cook a meal for myself and I told them I really on ready meals and use a microwave to heat them as I cannot stand to use a normal cooker nor can I prepare a meal.This cost me a large part of my DLA They also took my free car tax from me. If I had the use of a disability car they would want it back within 14 days. I use my car to carry my mobility scooter in also my wife is very reliant on it due to her inability to walk very far and she also as altzimers we do not live within walking distance of any shops. I have appealed against the decision but do not expect any results. My GP was mortified when I told him and said he would give any support he could. But there people know best.I expect to be reviewed again in the next two years now it looks like they will take everything.What a state this country is in. I have worked all my life and served this country.And this is what they do to the disabled I think it is one big joke.

I have today been through the assessment for Pip for the second time in 3 years I lost both legs below the knee one in 2007 the other in 2010 ,I was awarded DLA in 2006 then in 2009 it was awarded for life . Changed to PIP 2 years ago and have only been awarded it for two years . I am wheelchair bound at present and have only been out the house with someone helping me about 6 times since January . Most of these for hospital appointments . I was admitted to hospital in January where an abscess burst in my stump causing septicaemia , had to have it cleaned and drained under general annistetic . It's a long healing period due to the size of the hole . I cannot wear my right prosthetic leg as the wound splits open ( even with just walking from the kitchen to the bathroom ). I cannot get out the house on my own and this is the second time this has happened in two years . Do you know what my legs haven't grown back and after 9 years I don't think they will . It's a 4-6 week wait now to see if I loose my Pip if I do it will be £73 a week to live on god help me .

FOI request reveals that around 85% of calls to the DWP reporting benefit fraud turn out to be false!.

Deershooter, the sad thing is that even with a 2yr award you would be due to be re-assessed when you have a year left on the award :(

Stoggieman, please don't give up, fight the decision, ring the DWP and request a copy of the assessment report, known as the PA4.

This is the 28 page document completed by ATOS/Capita (whichever company dealt with the 'medical side' of PIP application) If you're over 50 contact AGE UK who are very good at helping with PIP, if not then the CAB are also good. You can request a mandatory recondiseration from the DWP within 1 month of the decision and if that doesn't change things then you can request a tribunal hearing, it's nothing scary and almost 70% of those going to tribunal have their awards increased.

For anyone looking for help and advice there's a pretty good informal forum here,

http://www.youreable.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/2-Benefits-help-amp-advice-on-disability-benefits-incapacity-benefits-ESA-and-DLA

Edited by phaedra1106

I'm 54 and had a double Transplant , Heart attack and a stroke within the last 6 years and Heart Failure along with bad circulation that makes walking any distance very hard work. Last year saw me in Intensive care 4 times with septicaemia although the year began well with a urethroplasty operation where they cut thru my crutch to pull out the urethra to remove a small length before stitching it all back together again. Lost an eye to Diabetes and most of the sensation in my feet but I can still walk around Tesco's ,albeit slowly, and do the shopping. Next time you see someone walking away from a car with a blue badge maybe it's worth remembering that we are not all in wheel chairs. After 2 years of fighting I get £52/week PIP and a pension of £60/ month

Sorry, this is going to pour oil on troubled waters.

This is the company that our government has awarded the contract to for administering PIP, having sacked ATOS.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/maxim-healthcare-services-charged-fraud-agrees-pay-approximately-150-million-enact-reforms

MP's got an £11,000 pay rise last year and they're getting another £1,000 this year.

It's pretty obvious who the government is serving. :mad:

Several people stating its the frauds and sponges that ruin the system and also that they know of some or even several.

I have to ask , have you reported them in that case ?

Its not fraud per se that is the problem, its people working the system. Millions of people were put on disability to get them off the unemployment figures during the Blair/Brown years. My cousin was one of them so I do have some personal experience of how it works. He lives rent free, gets a brand new car every three years and every allowance going because he has sciatica (yeah right!) . You really couldn't make it up.

Medical professionals and lazy Social Workers were happy to throw public money at these people to keep them quiet. It grew gradually over a number of years, it was like climbing a ladder, adding another benefit or allowance. Constantly applying and reapllying. To me he is just a lazy you know what, plain and simple.

The system for many years not only allowed it, it encouraged it. How on earth they are going to sort the needy from the greedy now god only knows

Edited by Vince Green

Vince green - yes you are correct. We have seen this and unfortunately the ones who lose out are those who through lack of education or even pride do not claim. We do not claim all the benefits we are entitled to for our son. We simply do not need to but we know of those who have no moral scruples who claim everything and more and, as I mentioned in an earlier post, indulge in a little insurance fraud too. Whilst our experience of Social Workers generally has not been good recently, with our elderly relatives' issues, it does appear this is down to an excessive work load so who searches out those who desperately need help?

Sorry just noticed back posts re reporting fraud. Yes perhaps we should have made more of an effort to report benefit/insurance fraud but even though this was being admitted to it is not so easy to provide accurate information that would result in a conviction eg ripping off an insurance company when there are hundreds of registered insurers - who do we report them to?? Could involve police but in our very small neighbourhood - 5 houses - and I'm the ex-insurance guy who would be the suspect?? Our disabled son has suffered abuse from two neighbours - would we put him at risk now bearing in mind his time on earth Is very limited?? Easier said than done. I sleep easy at night - others probably do not.

My cousin was one of them so I do have some personal experience of how it works. He lives rent free, gets a brand new car every three years and every allowance going because he has sciatica (yeah right!) . You really couldn't make it up.

Medical professionals and lazy Social Workers were happy to throw public money at these people to keep them quiet. It grew gradually over a number of years, it was like climbing a ladder, adding another benefit or allowance. Constantly applying and reapllying. To me he is just a lazy you know what, plain and simple.

Vince I'm not having a pop at you,but every time a benefit related thread comes up you never fail to mention your relatives, if you feel that strong about it report him to the authorities.
I'm totally amazed that he gets through the vetting process...? (having been through four ourselves) when others who really do have a problem get refused.

Vince I'm not having a pop at you,but every time a benefit related thread comes up you never fail to mention your relatives, if you feel that strong about it report him to the authorities.
I'm totally amazed that he gets through the vetting process...? (having been through four ourselves) when others who really do have a problem get refused.

Yes you are absolutely right, he gets right up my nose and has done so for more than twenty years. The thing is he is not committing fraud so there is no point in reporting him. He genuinely has got sciatica but who hasn't? He is just playing the system for all its worth and gets away with it because the system has allowed him to.

I think its just disgraceful that by perpetual wingeing and complaining he has managed to get doctor after doctor to sign off on things and social workers the same. Mostly just to get him out of their hair. When I say he is a professional invalid I do mean it, he is no stranger to Citizens Advice.

He has completey poisoned my view of the welfare state and the benefits system. To their credit, both his daughters have made good and are not following in his lifestyle.

FOI request reveals that around 85% of calls to the DWP reporting benefit fraud turn out to be false!.

Deershooter, the sad thing is that even with a 2yr award you would be due to be re-assessed when you have a year left on the award :(

Stoggieman, please don't give up, fight the decision, ring the DWP and request a copy of the assessment report, known as the PA4.

This is the 28 page document completed by ATOS/Capita (whichever company dealt with the 'medical side' of PIP application) If you're over 50 contact AGE UK who are very good at helping with PIP, if not then the CAB are also good. You can request a mandatory recondiseration from the DWP within 1 month of the decision and if that doesn't change things then you can request a tribunal hearing, it's nothing scary and almost 70% of those going to tribunal have their awards increased.

For anyone looking for help and advice there's a pretty good informal forum here,

http://www.youreable.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/2-Benefits-help-amp-advice-on-disability-benefits-incapacity-benefits-ESA-and-DLA

I would think in fact 85% of reported fraudulent claims manage to con the system again. Some of these claimants are far smarter than the folk checking them out.

A couple down the road from me, who have two school age children, haven't worked full time for over twenty years. They both do 16 (?) hours and claim everything going. Private house, two cars (one new), motor cycles, three or four holidays a year. He's got a bad back when it suits, doesn't stop him cutting his pride and joy hedge or lawn, doesn't stop him green laning on trail bikes or bending double repairing them.

This is the problem, some folk know the system and how to work it. Both their families are professional benefit claimants, neither families have worked for over thirty years but have cars, caravans etc. Benefits need parring down, drastically, but how to do it without affecting genuine claimants I don't know.

I would think in fact 85% of reported fraudulent claims manage to con the system again. Some of these claimants are far smarter than the folk checking them out.

I would imaging its quite hard to investigate fraudulent claiming because a lot of it involves working cash in hand. As Rodp says they all admit to the magic 16 hours and it would take a lot of time to compile evidence to the standard required for court to disprove what they are saying.

They are good at what they do, they know the law, they know their rights and what to say