Beretta Silver Pigeon - stay or go

fitzy

My first shotgun was a Bettinsoli. It was a left hander and I think I fell for the Turkish walnut. Realised it was too big for me and decided to sell it for something else. I had bought it from North Wales Shooting School. I went back there and part -ex'd it for a new Beretta Silver Pigeon Sporter with 30" barrels. It was a r/h but the instructor said it would be fine so went for it. I wasn't even aware that they were available left handed. I was naive but the advice was definitely lacking.

After that time I started rough shooting. I rang around the gunshops and purchased a cheap s/h left handed game stock and forend. I've been shooting well with it but I'm still niggled that it's been a compromise. The mismatched woodwork is an irritation whilst the original woodwork is unused in the box.

Think I'd like to go for a Silver Pigeon Field, Left handed with 28" barrels. Given the scarcity of used lefty's anyone know how much I'd have to add in part ex for a 3 year old SP sporter, rh with 30" barrels if going for new ? Would £300 be achievable?

Sorry for the ramble, just need to vent my frustration. Advice most welcome.

Edited by fitzy

I did wonder whether it be best to get the stock altered but read that it was difficult on the over under with having the long bolt running inside. Also find the sporter a little heavy to carry for 4-5 hours.

Edited by fitzy

I have a sp classic in left hand cast don't think it is as light as a sp 1 game but a tad lighter than a sp 1 sporter weight not an issue for me I carry it around rough shooting etc. I love this gun and will keep it for as long as I shoot and it performs. I don't shoot RH guns very well so if it were me I would just sell it on and get a true leftie! Some left handers get on ok with RH cast guns I guess it is down to the individual. Does sound like the advice you got was poor though I doubt they had the same gun in left hand cast and had you try both??

Prob would not harm to advertise your gun for sale to see if you can get a good price for it.... If you keep an eye out decent SH lefties come up on the gunsales websites often.

Edited by Andra

Thanks to all. I'm going to keep my eye out for a l/h silver pigeon with 28" barrels, ideally the field version. Could sell mine first but rather ensure the new gun is right for me before parting with the other one.

Edited by fitzy

I have an SP field with 30 inch barrels and shoot well with it, if it fits you I don't think you can go wrong.

Just interested why you like the28 inch barrels, I found the 30 fell much better, I was also fond of the 20 bore but only ever use twelve, if I wanted a light gun I would have a look at one.